Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 38

Author Topic: Steam Official Announcement Thread (50.11 Edition!)  (Read 398110 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Official Announcement Thread (0.47.04 Edition!)
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2020, 04:33:52 pm »

Remember you can get all of these updates in your email inbox if you sign up for the newsletter... with exclusive bonus pics of Tarn's cat, Scamps!

I think we'll be needing some bonus content in this thread soon.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2020, 04:57:38 pm »

Remember you can get all of these updates in your email inbox if you sign up for the newsletter... with exclusive bonus pics of Tarn's cat, Scamps!

I think we'll be needing some bonus content in this thread soon.

Why, whatever do you mean?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Team Bug Fix!

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2020, 02:54:51 am »

I'm surprised nobody linked the last announcement.

Steam Community Update 9 April 2020: The power of having more than 16 colors!
Full text:

Hello again!

I hope everybody finds themselves well. We've been continuing to plug away on the graphics for Dwarf Fortress and have some more goodies!

Beyond the ASCII ramp pictures we showed earlier, one of the main problems with visualizing the map in Dwarf Fortress is that the Classic game only shows one z-level at a time. This might be a very thin strip of sloping hill, or just the bottom or top of a river canyon. Lacking visual context, players sometimes resort to sliding the view of the landscape up and down to form an image in their mind. Now, we can more easily show many elevation levels at once, through the power of having more than 16 colors!

This is much easier to read as a desert hillside. This is still a work-in-progress, and there's more we can do with the shading and tile boundaries, but the main obstacles are overcome.

Here's a small animation moving down three levels of the hill to see it in action:

We've been working on a variety of other improvements as well recently. In Classic DF, we used background color to denote planned furniture. In Premium DF, we can use transparency:

There is a finished room on the left, and a similar room in the planning stages on the right.

Creature graphics have also seen some additions:

Although Dwarf Fortress creatures always occupy just one tile (unless they are a wagon... or somebody is dragging their entrails...), we have an opportunity now to make the largest creatures at least slightly larger. On the left is a blind cave ogre, very large as you might expect. On the right, a gorlak, a small friendly head with tusks, arms and legs that occasionally takes up a profession like a poet or a scholar.

Expect them in your taverns from time to time!

- Tarn

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2020, 03:04:05 am »

Cheers, voliol!

Things are weird, I just plain forgot.
Team Bug Fix!

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2020, 05:44:09 am »

It's my pleasure. I actually forgot that the steam announcements were biweekly (and not weekly), and went this thread to find out why there hadn't been one this last week, only to find another one was missing. Thursday should be exciting, regardless of things being weird.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2020, 06:08:45 am »

I have been trying to sell DF to my friends for years, but they have always struggled to "see" what the game is trying to show. I think armed with this, I've actually got a fighting chance of hooking them

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2020, 06:56:24 am »

Why so big ogre has so narrow legs? But their mole-like eyes are interesting as idea.

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2020, 02:51:01 pm »

Steam Community Update 23 April 2020: "Beasts, night trolls, and werecreatures, oh my!

https://steamcommunity.com/games/975370/announcements/detail/2197137123005129623

Full text:

Beasts, night trolls, and werecreatures, oh my!
Hi!

Dwarf Fortress has a few hundred real world animals and some dozens of fantasy creatures, but the most distinct part of the bestiary is the critters that are generated by the program. These include forgotten beasts, various demons, night trolls, werecreatures, experiments, and others. It's a pixel art challenge to accurately reflect what is stated in the text, and our first step is the night trolls! The body positions are a bit restricted due to inventory and piece-matching requirements.

In other critter news, we also have visual distinctions between domestic animals like the peacock and peahen.

Here are some updated stockpile pictures, where signs distinguish the sort of stockpile (clockwise from top left: food, furniture, finished goods, lumber). Since it is an initial DF embark, the finished goods pile is mostly crutches and splints, for the inevitable. You also have a look here at the base level of DF's multi-tile trees. We're using the foliage shadow to clarify that this is the base of a tree and not just a trunk.

Finally, here is a windmill turning some axles and gear assemblies.

You can use such machines to pump water, mill grains, and turn rollers to propel minecarts. Power can be provided by windmills and water wheels, and vertical axles and gears allow you to transmit it downward into the mountain as well.

- Tarn
Team Bug Fix!

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2020, 04:32:22 pm »

Steam Community Update 7 May 2020: "A whole new world (map) 🗺️"

https://steamcommunity.com/games/975370/announcements/detail/2181375791413994147

Full text:

A whole new world (map) 🗺️
Hello!

One of the main things we've been working on recently is updating the world map. As with almost everything in Classic DF, the world map is displayed using ASCII symbols. It looks like this:

This particular world is a medium sized 129x129 one (currently you can make a large world at 257x257, down to a pocket world at 17x17). If you haven't played before, even from the ASCII image, you can probably tell what is water versus land, and that the top is the icy part. And maybe find some trees and deserts. However, some of the other symbols are likely more difficult to distinguish, or maybe it just looks entirely unreadable.

Here is our work-in-progress graphical map of the same world:

The image is larger and square since we've moved from 8x12 ASCII glyphs to 16x16 tiles. There's still quite a bit to do with river mouths and wetlands and oceans and mountains and trees and so on, of course. But we've arrived at a point where it accomplishes the goal of making the world map more easily understood and thought it would be fun to share.

- Tarn

[note from clinodev: It's remarkable how much bigger those images are here than there!]
Team Bug Fix!

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2020, 06:58:07 am »

Looks cleaner than before, keep the good work up :)

I see that the good desert gets its own color. Can we expect the same for red/black/white deserts or are they all yellowish pale for the sake of visual clutter? (would be a shame, I think, but might be necessary)

bmhathaway

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2020, 03:09:49 am »

« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 04:50:32 am by bmhathaway »

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2020, 06:20:37 am »

Looks cleaner than before, keep the good work up :)

I see that the good desert gets its own color. Can we expect the same for red/black/white deserts or are they all yellowish pale for the sake of visual clutter? (would be a shame, I think, but might be necessary)

I would be thrilled to discover that any of Toady, ThreeToe, Mayday, or Meph were reading this repeater thread I post for the courtesy of people who don't use Steam much, but you'll probably have better luck in the Steam/Itch tileset thread, where I know you're already active.  :)

Woops, I forgot which thread I was in... That explains its strange disappearance in that thread, I never posted it there to begin with! :p
Thank you.

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2020, 03:04:09 pm »

Steam Update 21 May 2020: "Dwarves scared up a tree 🌲

https://steamcommunity.com/games/975370/announcements/detail/2181377058339263734

Full text:

Dwarves scared up a tree 🌲

Hi!

The main part of the game we've been updating for the last while is the tree display.

Way back when the classic game was first released in 2006, and for some years after, trees were simply a single text tile, an up arrow for a pine tree, say, and you'd chop them down and get a piece of wood. As the game progressed and got a third dimension of terrain, this became insufficient, and we moved over to multi-tile trees.

Even using text, growing and display these was a bit of a challenge. Here are our tree trunks from the text version:

Don't strain too hard if you don't see them, but spot the brown and white O's? Those are tree trunks down on the ground level. The first part we tackled was getting these displayed, and making sure they were distinguishable from the trunks of trees that had been chopped down. The artists accomplished this with foliage shadows and lively roots:

Now, once you go upward, the situation gets more complex. In Dwarf Fortress, there are thick trunks that can be climbed, heavy branches that can be walked across, light branches that can't be walked upon, and even groups of leafy twigs out at the very edges. Jumble all of that together in text, and you have the old display:

This is one altitude level up from the previous text picture. All of those tile types are there, but it's difficult to parse, to say the least. We wanted to make that easier to understand.

So let's take a look at one of our new trees:

We are going up and down the tree with the camera - the trunk branches north and south immediately, and then thins out as we move vertically, until only leafy twigs remain at the top.

When we put it all together in a forest, and move the camera up one level, we obtain the following:

There's still a lot to take in, but the trees can be distinguished from each other (the leaves of different trees don't touch each other. This is called crown shyness.) The 'trunk' tiles which cannot be traveled through all have a pillar to distinguish them.

So if one of your dwarves is scared up a tree by a wild predator, you'll expect to see them clinging next to a trunk or sitting on one of the heavy branches. On the other hand, if they are using a stepladder to pick fruit, you'll find them in the leafier sections without heavy branches where the fruit grows.

Don't forget you can sign up for these updates to appear straight in your inbox by joining the newsletter.

- Tarn
Team Bug Fix!

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2020, 01:36:46 pm »

Steam Community Update Thu, 4 June 2020 Noble-drowning facilities (AKA water)
Hey.

The main project we've been focusing on recently is the depiction of bodies of water. In Dwarf Fortress, that can mean a lot of things: still pools, rocky brooks, wide rivers, oceans, lakes, underground lakes, city sewers, and channel and cistern and noble-drowning facilities you produce in your own fortresses.

This is the current status of the rocky brooks.

We're using sixteen frames of animation, which is a first for DF, ha ha, and we might touch this up with some flow direction indications and variants. Dwarves can walk across these, so it's important that they don't look very deep.

This is a deeper, more opaque pool of water that the dwarves prefer not to drink from, but which can have turtles and moghoppers for the dwarves to catch, to add to their food variety and allow for shell crafts. Or to keep as pets. Or for your zoo terrariums and aquariums.

Here are the larger workshops - the kennels and the siege workshop. Many animals can be brought from a wild to a semi-domesticated to a tame state.

This is not entirely safe! But it is good to have mostly friendly critters running about the fortress.

Here are some minecart tracks! Build them with wood, stone or metal, or carve grooves into cavern floors or glaciers.

With the availability of wheelbarrows, it's not always practical to produce a lot of infrastructure just to cart off stone, but you can always use them to do routine hauls of finished goods, or let your dwarves take a fun ride. Take a ride yourself in adventure mode. Or fill a cart with rocks and crash it against an obstacle as an improvised boulder shotgun. Or use serrated discs. People always find a way to turn DF features into weapons!

- Tarn
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 01:40:05 pm by Manveru Taurënér »

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2020, 01:37:26 pm »

That brook, just wow :o
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 38