Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 38

Author Topic: Steam Official Announcement Thread (50.11 Edition!)  (Read 398096 times)

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Official Announcement Thread (0.47.04 Edition!)
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2020, 01:03:23 am »

Gremlins are mammals, they need two sprites - for male and for female.
Don't worry, tilesets are moddable. You can add different male/female sprites as you like when you mod in the differences between male and female gremlins.

In vanilla, I'd say it's impossible to tell at this scale, as they're the same size and colour accoridng to the raws, so really no need to bother.
I can play ASCII. Do you want to not create tiles just because they are moddable? Gremlins are hairless mammals, so all is visible. Did you seeing bald cats breeds?

In raws, they are more green, only eyes and nails are yellow. Why you also forgot pupils? In raws they have black pupils (except when in dark, glowtile is for yellow eyeshine).

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2020, 01:44:41 am »

Hey there, Iä! RIAKTOR!

This post is unfortunately almost the least likely place on the Bay 12 Forum to expect the artists or other developers to find your advice and questions.

The original intent for this post is so that the small portion of the community that is both signed up for the Forum and not interested in signing up for Steam alerts can easily find the Steam announcements. The artists almost certainly are getting these updates directly from Kitfox or via Steam, and are very unlikely to look here, so your advice is wasted on people who have virtually no influence on the process at all. There's no point in convincing any of us!

You're welcome to post here, of course, and we all want to make newer posters feel welcome on the Forum, but if you want the artists to see it, you want to use the Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions post.
Team Bug Fix!

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2020, 11:56:20 am »

Steam Update 13 August 2020: "⚒️ New UI Art! ⚒️"

https://steamcommunity.com/games/975370/announcements/detail/4639224265623959694

Full text:

⚒️ New UI Art! ⚒️
A look at the improved interface for Dwarf Fortress - scrolling, filters, and so many cats.

Hello again!

This time, we have an example of the new interface to show you. First, let's look at the old version of the embark screen:

Dwarf Fortress of course has been a text game up to this point, but even in that limited framework there are some elements lacking here! There's no indication for instance that both of these lists scroll or how to do it. The bottom options are a random jumble.

When you press the key to buy a new item, it takes you to a whole new screen:

This one does have scrolling instructions but still no indication of how many pages there are. The mouse doesn't work anywhere.

Here is where we are in the version we are working on:

This screen is mainly mouse-driven. The scrolling and purchase options are more clear, and we've cleaned up the options on the bottom as well.

You can continue to narrow your selections with a text filter as below:

The animals have been moved to a third tab:

Meph drew the border and Mike drew the buttons, bars and the rest, and also gave me various layout advice. Mike also has a widescreen monitor, which has helped correct issues there - this screen currently uses a customizable working area ~2000 pixels wide, centered, while the main screen uses the full width of the display for the more graphical play area.

This screen also sizes down fairly well, to a point. The menu widths compact and finally the border is removed (except for the tabs at the top), so the game is playable at smaller resolutions and window sizes.

We haven't yet finalized the order of the listed items (which are still somewhat random, as opposed to, say, sortable alphabetically or by point value.)

We're continuing to work on the main screen to get it up to this new standard. It'll be exciting to share that when it is ready!

- Tarn

Kitfox's Note

If you sign up for the newsletters, you'll be able to see the full size versions of the images! (And they'll be delivered to your inbox.) You can sign up here and view the web version of the newsletter here.

- Victoria

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2020, 05:18:57 pm »

Steam Community Update 27 August 2020: "Mini maps and disembowelment 🗺️"

https://steamcommunity.com/games/975370/announcements/detail/2851296383029179867

Full text:

Mini maps and disembowelment 🗺️

Hi again!

The work on the main screen continues. This time, we'll show a preliminary version of the minimap. In Classic DF, we try to give the player some notion of their surroundings with a text image:

For a given elevation slice of a hillside, you get some sky, some terrain, and some solid rock. As you move up and down, the minimap gives you a basic picture of what's going on. But of course now, we have the power of pixels to improve this:

You can see here a pixel-perfect representation of the tiles of a fort, including a large room and some little rooms that I carved out at this elevation. These are colors I picked myself, so we'll likely see some improvements here. But along with the ramp images and the multi-level display, this should help you visualize how your fort looks. Here it is in action, complete with trees going up into the sky area as the camera repositions:

We also have the date and some additional information here which used to be hidden away in a different screen. We haven't finalized the main screen layout, so this is more subject to change than usual.

Next, we have guts, courtesy of Meph. We haven't been showing a lot of dwarves to this point, since they are still in progress, so the following image is of our placeholder dwarves... our placeholder dwarves after having been subjected to the disembowelment debug function.

Note the directionality -- as the dwarves walk about, the earthworm-like viscera drag around behind them. This normally involves a bit more blood, but we're still working on it.

- Tarn
Team Bug Fix!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2020, 08:54:21 pm »

Hey there, Iä! RIAKTOR!

This post is unfortunately almost the least likely place on the Bay 12 Forum to expect the artists or other developers to find your advice and questions.

The original intent for this post is so that the small portion of the community that is both signed up for the Forum and not interested in signing up for Steam alerts can easily find the Steam announcements. The artists almost certainly are getting these updates directly from Kitfox or via Steam, and are very unlikely to look here, so your advice is wasted on people who have virtually no influence on the process at all. There's no point in convincing any of us!

You're welcome to post here, of course, and we all want to make newer posters feel welcome on the Forum, but if you want the artists to see it, you want to use the Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions post.
Don't underestimate how much time I spend here. :P
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2020, 04:49:07 am »

Hey there, Iä! RIAKTOR!

Don't underestimate how much time I spend here. :P

To be fair, you're replying to a post from 4 weeks ago, lol. Good to see you though!
Team Bug Fix!

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2020, 06:49:47 am »

How will the modability work with all this graphics? can they / must day be deativated?
As i see hardly that for (some simple at least) mods people will be able to draw all the sprites (think of some that adds a bunch new creatures), external and internal (organs showed for the wounded dwarfs) ones ...
Also can mouse support be desactivated (or at least do keyboard support stay the same 100%)?
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2020, 07:27:47 am »

All good questions, already raised and (perhaps) answered elsewhere. (OP should perhaps link to the Mephday thread/etc in first post, if not already, for newly-stumbling-upon readers?). This thread is supposed to be just a local echo of the source announcements.

But someone has to reply to repeat what (I think) we know, to you and any other future stumblers-upon, and here I am.

IIRC, and assuming I get your meanings correctly...
o Yes. The intention is that modding will be completely as open as before (maybe tweaked due to the extra bits of support.
o Yes. This is the Steam Tileset and it should be switchable to the 'Vanilla' (ASCII) tileset or any other.
o Hopefully.  It is certainly a very strong feeling that mousing not be required, over keyboard, so if the UI revamp (which may include rationalising current menus, thus changing hierarchies if not bindings) actually removes existing key-access, rather than merely change them (in a visibly indicated way), then it's already assumed there'll be dissatisfaction.

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2020, 05:02:46 am »

All good questions, already raised and (perhaps) answered elsewhere. (OP should perhaps link to the Mephday thread/etc in first post, if not already, for newly-stumbling-upon readers?). This thread is supposed to be just a local echo of the source announcements.

But someone has to reply to repeat what (I think) we know, to you and any other future stumblers-upon, and here I am.

Cheers, Starver!

I've edited the first post to reflect my thoughts on the thread's purpose, and added the tileset thread and the FotF thread.

To other later readers, again, the point isn't that we don't want you to post here, it's just that you're unlikely to get the attention of the developers and artists here, and Voliol, Starver, etc., and I who are regularly here are also watching official threads like the Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions and the Future of the Fortress where the artists and developers will assuredly see your comments.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 05:05:05 am by clinodev »
Team Bug Fix!

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2020, 11:44:33 pm »

Steam Update 10 September 2020: "Activity Zones & The Sanctum of Lunch ⚒️"

https://steamcommunity.com/games/975370/announcements/detail/2880571131802961718

Full text:

Activity Zones & The Sanctum of Lunch ⚒️
Hello!

This time in Main Screen News, we have activity zones. These are places where dwarves perform tasks or socialize without requiring construction materials like workshop do.

Dwarves need buckets of water for a variety of reasons, they can also fish, gather fruit from trees with stepladders, dump unwanted items, fill a pit, pond or moat with various beings, keep animals in a pasture, grab sand or clay for further use, fix each other up in the hospital, train animals, or just hang out.

The process begins by painting a zone:

This currently works by placing rectangles or free painting with the mouse. The Classic version also has a wall-sensitive paint we'll pick up later. This zone has been designated as a meeting area, where dwarves will come and chat. Importantly, the meeting area can be given a specific function with the assign location button (one of five icons that still have Tarn-placeholder-art in this image, the rest done by Meph.)

Here I've pressed the assign location button, and we have four choices.

The space below gets filled with locations as you create them. You can have as many locations as you want, and the same location can be attached to multiple zones to create larger multi-purpose complexes under the same umbrella.

I've selected the temple option and scrolled down through the deity list to the organized religions.

These are currently listed in chronological order, which is why we see a native dwarven religion for this world, the Creed of Sport, above a deity selection, Utag Loafivory. Utag Loafivory is a human god of trade, wealth, and hospitality that made their way to the dwarves several decades prior, through a few different organized religions, and two of our dwarves are members of the Utag religion "The True Stick-Fellowship." I'll pick this one for our new temple.

Annnnd the game leaned heavily into the hospitality aspect - "The Sanctum of Lunch." Very good. There's a new Tarn icon there to go into location details, where you'll be able to rename the location if it comes up with something unfavorable, as well as setting priests and other attached occupations.

Unlike placed buildings, zones can overlap. (I recorded the gif at 10FPS in GifCam, so it's a bit choppier than the game itself.)

This doesn't come up all the time, but if you do decide to overlap zones, you can now switch between them in a few different ways with the mouse, as seen above.

We also have the ability to repaint zones, if you'd like to expand a given zone without creating it again from scratch, or even move it somewhere entirely different.

The boxed text is from a tooltip, which is also a DF novelty! There are many tooltips available here, and we'll continue adding them as we go.

Zones can be suspended temporarily or removed permanently. Zones are currently visible only from the zone mode, as in Classic DF, so they won't clutter up the display otherwise.

- Tarn

Kitfox's Note

Hiya!

PAX Online is coming up, and that means Tarn will be on some panels... and they're completely online and free!

This is our entire schedule in terms of PAX panels, but there are two that will involve Tarn in particular:

Sept 12, 4:15pm PST - Meet Tarn Adams
    Sept 15, 6pm PST - Procedural Generation

All information on where to watch, description, and who else is involved in the links provided. Here's a thread of links for the other panels we're involved in too. Hope to see you at a few of them. :)

Cheers,

Victoria
Team Bug Fix!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2020, 07:42:18 am »

(just a note that the time is 1:15pm PDT for the PAX meetup - the times listed on the poster there are actually on east coast time)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2020, 07:56:02 am »

(just a note that the time is 1:15pm PDT for the PAX meetup - the times listed on the poster there are actually on east coast time)
Luckily Pax schedule seems to update itself automatically according to the time zone you're in. You're on Sunday morning 5:15 AM according to my schedule. Grumble, grumble....

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2020, 08:44:51 am »

(So, to be clear, times quoted as Pacific Standard Time on the graphic are actually Eastern Daylight Time? Not entirely sure I can make use of either, given my likely schedule here in BST, but I thought that if I could, I could have done a ¿9?-hour difference to catch the PST instant, if publicly livestreamed as I take it they are doing. The 5-hour-shift one would clash with a period of probably-notness, though. Eventual Youtube/whatever availability, post facto, by any chance?)

((And the Procedural one was a no-go on first assumption. Haven't yet worked out if the shift now makes it possible.))
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 08:47:07 am by Starver »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2020, 05:59:16 pm »

(So, to be clear, times quoted as Pacific Standard Time on the graphic are actually Eastern Daylight Time? Not entirely sure I can make use of either, given my likely schedule here in BST, but I thought that if I could, I could have done a ¿9?-hour difference to catch the PST instant, if publicly livestreamed as I take it they are doing. The 5-hour-shift one would clash with a period of probably-notness, though. Eventual Youtube/whatever availability, post facto, by any chance?)

((And the Procedural one was a no-go on first assumption. Haven't yet worked out if the shift now makes it possible.))
https://online.paxsite.com/schedule

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2020, 06:29:24 pm »

(Yeah, I was addressing that the graphic says "PST" when it should say "EDT" or however it goes in Montreal.  I'll be in the meetup 'room' for 1:15 pacific, and there'll be live Q&A of some kind in a Discord I think, though the video is on twitch so hopefully that'll all be clear when it happens.  Presumably they could keep the procgen panel video to be viewed in the future, and the meetup as well, but I haven't heard any information about that -- they've done it before, so it seems likely.)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 38