Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 38

Author Topic: Steam Official Announcement Thread (50.11 Edition!)  (Read 398118 times)

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Official Announcement Thread (0.47.04 Edition!)
« Reply #105 on: December 17, 2020, 03:58:23 pm »

https://steamcommunity.com/games/975370/announcements/detail/4043634620705552625

Full text:

Looking Deeper into Your Fortress 🔎

Greetings all!

Yes, it's that time again, the quarterly Dwarf Fortress video update from Tarn brought to you by me, Fiona! Hello, I'm the new Community Manager for Kitfox Games and I'm excited to work with Tarn to bring you all the future DF news! I've highlighted most of the main points in this newsletter but feel free to watch the video in its entirety over on the Kitfox Youtube channel.

For now, let us begin.

The trade-depot graphics are placeholders however, you can see the wagons pulling up, along with some humans (ugh) and their bodyguards. Hope they have some decent things to trade and are not here just to waste our time (look, there's lots of digging to be done).

I'm hoping they won't judge us on our murderous cats. Or with any luck maybe they'll be intimidated. Look at all those carcasses sheesh. who's going to clean this up? Speaking of intimidation, there's a whole room full of coffins, which are currently being depicted by, placeholder images, you can't see it but trust us, that's one grim room.

Hovering over anything on the map will now show a tool-tip popup, giving you more information about what it is you're looking at. This replaces the look command in the classic version.

It's true, there are indeed two horses at that trade depot.

We've been hoarding this information but now we're ready to release our stash. Stockpiles! You can see here the miner has been busy digging us another room in which we can click into the stockpile interface and drag a little rectangle to designate our new storage room.

In order to designate this room for particular items to store we head into the custom set, which we can deselect everything, type in "mech" which will isolate "mechanisms". Clicking that then tells our dwarves to only store that item in the stockpile.

Last of our updates this month is a peek into the building interface. Here we can see the items that can be built in the building menu. Once clicked and the blueprint placed, we'll be able to select what construction materials to use, based on what's currently in our stockpile.

On the left our architect is having a good look at these blueprints, you can see the railings on the bridge showing that it's travelling east to west but as it is a blueprint it will not block anyone from walking through it. And on the right, it's complete, safe even for cats to travel on!

There are lots more graphics that have been added, little items like wheelbarrows, stepladders but sadly, no mussel shells yet.

Thank you for supporting Dwarf Fortress this year. It means a lot to Tarn, Zach and everyone at Kitfox Games. <3 You can catch us and other rad Dwarf Fortress fans over at the Kitfox Games Discord.

We'll be back for the next update on the 14th of January but for now, we leave you with Scamps who, as usual, is enjoying sitting in his box.

Happy Holidays!

See you next year,

Fiona, on behalf of Tarn, Zach, and the Kitfox team
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 05:22:52 am by clinodev »
Team Bug Fix!

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #106 on: December 17, 2020, 04:51:27 pm »

Hyperlinks on the forum use
Code: [Select]
[url=https://thelink.com]the descriptive text[/url] clinodev. Though I doubt it was anything but the reddit muscle memory kicking in :p.

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2020, 05:20:12 am »

Heh. I do know indeed.

What happens is I do the reddit one first, then copy and paste it here and fix the links. At least worse case it's like this one, and I look dumb but all the info is there..  ;D
Team Bug Fix!

em312s0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 27, 2020, 07:38:29 pm »

PTW cant wait to see my above ground fortress in pixel art

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 09, 2021, 04:20:15 pm »

As people keep asking me various places, no, you didn't miss one. The last one says they're returning on the 14th of January.
Team Bug Fix!

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 14, 2021, 03:20:27 pm »

https://steamcommunity.com/games/975370/announcements/detail/4816004515020626336

Full text:

Inspecting the details of your Dwarf Fortress
Happy New Year!

The holidays have passed, though we've moved on to not exactly calm and workerly times. But we're mostly back to the game and can show you our in-progress Look command.

We haven't had an artist pass on this dwarf view yet, but it's starting to come together! The old text version of Dwarf Fortress made it unnecessarily difficult to find information about dwarves and other game objects. Not only was the data hidden behind many (many) keypresses as you might expect, but it was also scattered through many different windows and screens. We're trying to bring it all together here. We might end up with more icons and less text as we go.

The tabs and overview boxes are still in flux but the screenshot here is where we are so far in-game. Between physical attributes, mental attributes, personality facets, and beliefs, the game picks the strongest or most unique six and displays them in the overview. You'll still be able to get at the full set of data within the tabs; the intent of these boxes is to answer simple questions and provide the best flavor and context. The same is true for items, skills, positions and the rest. The full data and options can be found in tabs, with a short summary at the top level.

We'll also be adding some of the missing options like camera follow and custom naming to the uppermost box.

The game can still run unpaused when this popup is displayed, so you can see e.g. the current job and thought list update in real-time. It's also pretty common to have multiple dwarves/creatures in a single tile, especially with pets tearing about and babies being held. Instead of the cumbersome 'Next' command, which is how we used to deal with this before, we have little tabs that pop up on the right side. If there are too many critters in a tile for right-side tabs to work (which doesn't happen often, but industrious players sometimes drop all of whomever in a narrow pit), clicking gives a scrollable list. The tabs also include items and buildings and engravings, with similar solutions for high object counts.

As a bonus, we have an image to put a cap on last month's winter video update, where I showed a small hallway that Zach had carved out for the coffins, but we didn't have the artwork added in at that time. Now we have the wooden caskets! And, um, the hallway got quite a bit longer... the open ones are unoccupied. Can't say the same for the closed ones.

Talk to you again in 2 weeks!

- Tarn
Team Bug Fix!

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #112 on: January 14, 2021, 03:27:47 pm »

Congrats clinodev, you managed to ninja me, before I ninja'd you.

The overview sceen looks really nice I must say, it being fit into a much tighter more orderly window highlights how much there is to a dwarf. 11 tabs plus an overview? Incredible.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 14, 2021, 10:02:23 pm »

That is a thing of much beauty; massive props to Toady and his team!
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 28, 2021, 05:07:36 pm »

https://steamcommunity.com/app/975370/discussions/0/3104637814591389539/

Full text:

28th January - Bugs, Balances Fixes & Baby Unicorns
[Hey folks, Feeona here! As today's update is a little smaller than usual, rather than doing steam announcement, we figured it would be best to just pop the information straight into the forum. Thanks!]

Hello again!

It's a brief news post this time as I've been doing a promised interim patch of the old DF, the text graphics one that people currently play. That'll be finished tomorrow and I'll be back to work on the Premium version - elves and goblins coming soon!

It's just as well since all of the work I've been doing the last few weeks were bugs and balance fixes that also apply to the Premium version as well, among them a few crashes and a rework of the stress system that had up until now been causing some people headaches.

Here are a unicorn and baby to tide you over! I'm not sure if there are baby unicorns in the real world, but Dwarf Fortress has them.

- Tarn
Team Bug Fix!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 28, 2021, 05:20:55 pm »

Tomorrow!
Happy weekend.  :)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #116 on: January 28, 2021, 07:15:09 pm »

Ah, whoops, I wrote that on Wednesday and forgot it would be posted today ha ha.  Patch for old version is up.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 28, 2021, 08:24:54 pm »

Ah, whoops, I wrote that on Wednesday and forgot it would be posted today ha ha.  Patch for old version is up.

Thank you so much! I suspect it isn't nearly as exciting working on bugs as it is working on features, but these bug fixes and tweaks are like a bright light in this bleak winter of discontent!

A Toady One strikes a Bug from flight

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 28, 2021, 10:33:29 pm »

I just think of it as maintaining a long, proud tradition of not quite getting the release date bang on,  ;D

It did post before the release, at least!
Team Bug Fix!

Feeona

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Kitfox Games Community Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 11, 2021, 03:52:45 pm »

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370/view/5202190708562378201

Full text:

11th February - Refining the Workshop Interface

Hi!

This time in Adventures in Clicking on the Main Screen, we have workshops! 

This window has popped up after clicking the mason's workshop. In the old Dwarf Fortress, looking at the items in a workshop and looking at the tasks to be performed at a workshop were two separate commands. Now that information has been combined into one window.  (Like last time, none of the interface art is final here.)

There are various ways to interact with tasks and items which are now accessible through the little buttons. These include setting up repeat tasks, high priority tasks, shuffling the order of the tasks in the list, examining the details of the task in the list, suspending a task, and cancelling a task.

In the bottom list, the distinction between the two pieces of granite is that one of them makes up the physical workshop (the one with the house-shaped building icon), and the one at the end with the 'TASK' icon is the one currently being worked on in the active task. The other icons allow you to do some of the actions also accessible from the lower left menu - forbidding items, dumping items, melting items (not pictured here since none of these are meltable), and hiding items.

Here's what you get when you add a new task. The potential task list alphabetized now and has a search filter. I've changed some of the old job names to make the alphabetization work.

All of this can run unpaused (also new).  Missing is the ability to rename the building, the worker profiles, and the ability to destroy the building.  Those'll all be in soon.

I've also redone the old jeweller's workshop screen (the old gem cutting interface was very baroque, to say the least.) It now works like a regular workshop. The same is true of seven other workshops previously inaccessible to our modding infrastructure. They all work like regular workshops now (the loom, the mechanic's workshop, the dyer, etc.)

- Tarn

Kitfox's Note

Hello folks! Just a quick wee message from myself to say, happy (belated) birthday Scamps!🎉 I couldn't resist getting this birthday boy in here this week and, with full blessings from Tarn, I can share a new picture with you of the third Dwarf Fortress developer.

Thanks and speak to you soon!

-Fiona
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 38