Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 38

Author Topic: Steam Official Announcement Thread (50.11 Edition!)  (Read 398197 times)

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Steam Official Announcement Thread (0.47.05 Edition!)
« Reply #120 on: February 11, 2021, 04:36:46 pm »

Looks like this thread has become an Official Steam Official Announcement Thread.

That second picture of Scamps is just lovely.

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 11, 2021, 10:24:08 pm »

My little thread. . . *sniff* . . . it's all grown up now!
Team Bug Fix!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 13, 2021, 06:58:56 am »

Seeing as the cabinets have drawers... drawers were first invented in the 17th century, beyond Toady's limit of 14th century or so. Before that people used wardrobes and chests, both without drawers.

But I'm just nitpicking. It looks great.

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 13, 2021, 07:45:47 am »

Seeing as the cabinets have drawers... drawers were first invented in the 17th century, beyond Toady's limit of 14th century or so. Before that people used wardrobes and chests, both without drawers.

Graphics suggestions will probably be seen and remembered better in the graphics threads.  :)

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=31.0
Team Bug Fix!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 13, 2021, 10:02:39 am »

Graphics suggestions will probably be seen and remembered better in the graphics threads.  :)

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=31.0

It is not a suggestion anyway, just pointing out . It is a very minor thing.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 17, 2021, 04:51:14 pm »

Maybe they became common in the 1600s but after a little googling I found older examples from the 1500s, but nothing about the oldest known furniture with a drawer.
https://www.neumeister.com/kunstwerksuche/kunstdatenbank/ergebnis/143-196/-/

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 17, 2021, 05:16:15 pm »

Maybe they became common in the 1600s but after a little googling I found older examples from the 1500s, but nothing about the oldest known furniture with a drawer.
https://www.neumeister.com/kunstwerksuche/kunstdatenbank/ergebnis/143-196/-/
I reckon dwarves with magical "mechanisms" could be let off for inventing the drawer a few years early. Or just use the "proper cabinets" mod, no doubt available in Steam Workshop on day 1 due to the obsession people have with historical accuracy in fantasy games.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 17, 2021, 07:16:58 pm »

That's funny, I find the dwarves' use of their mechanisms to be completely historical and realistic! 
 :P Anyone who questions their use of the "universal" mechanisms should be banned from this forum  :P
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 17, 2021, 08:39:21 pm »

That's funny, I find the dwarves' use of their mechanisms to be completely historical and realistic! 
 :P Anyone who questions their use of the "universal" mechanisms should be banned from this forum  :P
Oh, I quite agree. All historical accounts of 14th century dwarf fortresses mention mechanisms...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 18, 2021, 09:05:20 am »

Posting to watch!
Love, scriver~

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 25, 2021, 11:04:22 am »

https://steamcommunity.com/games/975370/announcements/detail/3025827357316136860

Full text:

The Complexities of Statues
What kind of material should a sunfish statue use? What pedestal? What decorations???
Hello!

Statues are one of the pieces of furniture in Dwarf Fortress. You generally use them to increase the value of a room, or as the center of a room when you designate an area to be a sculpture garden. This is a place for dwarves to hang out and admire the architecture, which generally makes them happy. The statues can depict particular people, historical events, abstract shapes, artifacts, and more. Of course, up to this point, we used the same text symbol for every statue, made the material give it one of a few colors, and left the rest to a sometimes lengthy paragraph description, including whatever engravings or other decorations might be found on the object.

After Patrick drew lots of new images and adapted many additional images to the statue format, we're finally able to begin showing some portion of the details! This is my coati hall, with eight coatis and a coati person. There's also a sunfish enjoying some time in the waves under the moon. The colors of the statue give some indication of their material, various stones I located in the mines. It's a strange room, and I shouldn't be in charge of decorating anything, but my dwarves enjoy the space, because they don't know any better. There's also a visiting human monster hunter there, possibly confused.

The pedestal indicates the quality of the statue, and also reflects all of the decorations (spikes, hanging rings, engravings, etc.) Damage and spatter are also indicated. This statue has been encrusted with oval cabochons and given little menacing spikes.

- Tarn
Team Bug Fix!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 25, 2021, 11:44:58 am »

I think I now understand why a statue of something can be path-blocking (mostly!?) when the original something can at the very least be crawled past...

It's the plinth!

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 25, 2021, 12:55:36 pm »

Nice, but honestly I think this is over the top. But maybe I just want the Myth and Magic arc to finally start.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 25, 2021, 01:15:59 pm »

Sooo good, one of the main things I was hoping for would happen with the graphical release :D

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 25, 2021, 05:25:58 pm »

Nice, but honestly I think this is over the top. But maybe I just want the Myth and Magic arc to finally start.
Funny thing is, it doesn't even represent what the statue looks like. That statue of a sunfish is likely "three sunfishes prostrating themselves before a hydra. The hydra is laughing".
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 38