Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 38

Author Topic: Steam Official Announcement Thread (50.11 Edition!)  (Read 398122 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Official Announcement Thread (0.47.05 Edition!)
« Reply #150 on: March 13, 2021, 01:41:15 pm »

(Then demanding the loading of a reddit thread/comment. I also keep getting "Do you want to open this in the Reddit App?" - apparently installed on my device, but I've always just said to stick with the browser I'm currently using, not actually sure what differences there would be if I did use the App.)

In short (but not short enough) I'd have suggested something like the following:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370/view/4623480703067173288

Full text:

Just Some Typical Elves 🌱

Elves, wearing wooden armor, being a general nuisance

<snip>
There's a comment on a reddit thread that says:
  • The dwarf heads look too large relative to every other being...
  • There seems to be an issue with consistency of viewing angles
  • Do elves actually complain about trading animal butchery products?
[*delete point(s) as inapplicable, or just concentrate on the animal products one - I presume that's what was meant, BICBW]

This is now more of an in-thread summary (that will survive any unforseen catastrophe that may befall reddit's eventual end-of-life shutdown, should that happen before the current Bay12 data is finally consigned to its own particular terminal bitbucket), but I can also have it act as a rough example/suggestion too, right?

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 25, 2021, 02:22:51 pm »

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370/view/2993178796868530812

Full text:

They Live! Mushrooms and moss growth 🍄
Hey everybody!

This time we have a look at the expansive cavern system that you can find underneath your fortress.

There are all sorts of mushrooms down there, which Patrick has prepared for you. Big ones, little ones, really big ones... in the image above we have tower caps and fungiwood growing in the subterranean water pools, and the floor is entirely covered with smaller fungus. The largest multitile growths can be used for lumber if you manage to reach them and recover the fallen material, and the smaller ones can be used for food, dye, and clothing. These can also be cultivated. Your dwarves can use the water for all sorts of purposes, especially if the surface level lacks a river or brook. (We still have to handle the blue water behind the tree images, and the ramps cut off prematurely sometimes.)

Since the largest mushrooms occupy multiple vertical levels, you see slices of them as you move up and down through the levels of your fortress. In the gif, we start at the mossy floor with a spattering of webs and small vegetation (and a cave ogre) and move up three levels, viewing the caps as they round out at their tops.

You can see three different gem clusters in this image of a lichen floor. The open cavern makes it easier to prospect for ore and other useful minerals, but also leaves you exposed to visits from various creatures if you don't take precautions!

- Tarn
Team Bug Fix!

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 25, 2021, 03:41:58 pm »

Did the gem clusters used to be larger and stick out from the walls instead of being flush with the walls?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 25, 2021, 07:44:54 pm »

Did the gem clusters used to be larger and stick out from the walls instead of being flush with the walls?

Sort of:

The stone was definitely rougher. (Unless these examples are inside-out instead of pillars.)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 07:48:56 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 25, 2021, 09:33:20 pm »

I believe they indeed are (mostly) inside-out. To demonstrate the continuation of 'tiling' between all four corner orientations, in the least space necessary. The RHS of the first quote presents walls/junctions of a single tile to demonstrate bi-/multi-directional exposure in various directions.

ICBW, but my the open-edge roughness and inner-edge 'crystaline fingers merging into the unseen' are comparable with the more explicit recent map-slices we've just seen (albeit for different rock-types/forms) so I'm convinced my original interpretation is indeed still right.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #155 on: March 26, 2021, 12:21:01 pm »

The walls in the old screenshots were partly replaced by walls with a smoother transition using transparency.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 06, 2021, 05:22:01 am »

What do gem and mineral clusters look like when the walls have been smoothed? It can have a big impact on the room value. I hope it's quite visible.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 08, 2021, 03:25:11 pm »

Steam Community Update 8 April 2021: "Video Dev Update: A Huge Fortress to Explore"

https://steamcommunity.com/games/975370/announcements/detail/3084377958517709650

Full text:

Video Dev Update: A Huge Fortress to Explore
Bedrooms, zoning and tombs!
Greetings all!

Alexandra here with the Spring video dev update showing off all the latest features in Dwarf Fortress with Tarn. This time, we have some new, exciting developments in the Fort including bedrooms, tombs and a visit from an elven caravan! We have have big updates on the building interface and zoning placement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5x_ZCo2B2k

That's it from me today, see you next update!

-Alexandra
Team Bug Fix!

kitfoxgames

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Fortress Premium Publisher
    • View Profile
    • Kitfox Games Website
« Reply #158 on: April 22, 2021, 12:28:30 pm »

Steam Community Update 22 April 2021: "New Lever System and Filling Barrels"

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370/view/3043846829248372175

Full text:

New Lever System and Filling Barrels

Hello!

Levers in Dwarf Fortress can be hooked up to all sorts of buildings and machines, such as doors, floodgates, gear assemblies, cages, spikes, and bridges.  In the old game, this was a reasonably painful process, where mechanisms had to be manually selected, lists scrolled through, and afterward it was very difficult to figure out which lever was linked to which building without just pulling it and seeing what horrible things happened.

This has been changed now!  In this video, you can see what we currently have: https://youtu.be/VUnbgGmqOhI

When you click "link lever", two appropriate mechanisms are chosen by default.  You decide what to link the lever to by clicking on it, and once you've hooked it up, both the lever and the linked building have a list of links with a recenter option.  So hopefully there will be fewer unnecessary tragedies.

Patrick has also drawn up some new barrels, with their contents, so that you can get some information about your food stocks at a glance.

Here we have some dwarven wine and rum, as well as meat, fish, plump helmets and seed bags.

- Tarn
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 12:42:54 pm by kitfoxgames »

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 22, 2021, 12:33:13 pm »

Please welcome Alexandra Orlando, the new Kitfox Games Community Manager!

Also, mmm, fish barrel.
Team Bug Fix!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 22, 2021, 02:08:40 pm »

Welcome Alexandra! Have a barrel of fish!
Love, scriver~

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 22, 2021, 02:44:20 pm »

Hi and welcome, Alexandra  :)
(When do we get to see a barrel of monkeys?)
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 22, 2021, 02:50:06 pm »

Alexandra, your first challenge as a Community Manager is to handle the sudden and violent outcall for monkey barrels from irate fans!
Love, scriver~

kitfoxgames

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Fortress Premium Publisher
    • View Profile
    • Kitfox Games Website
« Reply #163 on: April 23, 2021, 08:35:42 am »

Monkeys would have been a great addition. But maybe the cat is a Scamps stand-in :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #164 on: April 23, 2021, 01:09:32 pm »

I'm truly sorry for the long wait, it's obviously the first thing I should have done.

::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 38