Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 38

Author Topic: Steam Official Announcement Thread (50.11 Edition!)  (Read 398176 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Official Announcement Thread (0.47.05 Edition!)
« Reply #210 on: July 02, 2021, 09:54:08 pm »

Will any of these new menus have associated hotkeys for opening the various category tabs?

I am seriously concerned DF will become a very slow game, beyond just a change in muscle memory, if there are no shortcuts. Mouse + GUI is just slow.

Though, perhaps the (finally!) ability to sort lists of things will bring speed in other places.

uioped1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 05, 2021, 08:28:43 pm »

I don't remember, seeing, will the steam version support Linux?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 05, 2021, 08:50:44 pm »

Maybe later, but Toady says he won't commit to it yet.

Most likely scenario is support via a dedicated Linux team/programmer from Kitfox. (Just a guess, but I don't see Toady trying to keep a Linux version up to date any more).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 05, 2021, 08:52:08 pm »

Will any of these new menus have associated hotkeys for opening the various category tabs?

I am seriously concerned DF will become a very slow game, beyond just a change in muscle memory, if there are no shortcuts. Mouse + GUI is just slow.

Though, perhaps the (finally!) ability to sort lists of things will bring speed in other places.
Yes. Confirmed many times previously.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 06, 2021, 05:19:18 am »

Re: Linux running... I originally ran (Windows) DF through WINE on my Linux distro, way back when, with no problems. I have no idea if I'd missed the possibility of a "nix version (possible) or it was somehow before the /dwarves/ page had that option straight from the author's mouth. All I know is that I'd enjoyed the Win download (40d or earlier) on various MS machines not at home, and at that time my best home machine was dual-boot Win+Fedora but that almost everything else I did was on the linux and so I just took the first route I thought of to avoid having to split my time away from all the non-Win stuff. And once I get something working, I don't like messing further. ;)

Now, obviously it would have been (and will be) a little less efficient to translate-on-the-fly/whatever rather than (near-)natively coded, and if the newer programming features exceed WINE's not-an-emulator capabilities then it's broken straight off the bat, the blindingly fast (for the time) AMD X2 CPU, IIRC, probably helped take the sting off that. But obviously that'd be an initial option. Or, I suppose, the whole VM-containerised-whotsit business that's all the current rage (worst case scenario is if you're trying to pretend it's running on a different codebase set at the level of the metal, I suppose, but that already needs thinking about under official cross-compiled forks to help at least part of the Mac userbase, who also might need reassurance).

i.e., I'm sure it'll not be impossible, but platform-specific non-Toadys will also surely be found for the current spread of systems, to wrangle the compilers accordingly without necessarily drawing Tarn into the relative philosophies of those system families.

(Less of an answer than a vaguely informed expectation, sorry.)

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 06, 2021, 07:11:28 am »

Toady's statements on this (and Mac) since the beginning have been in the format "Sure we'd like to, but only if we can do it to the same quality"

My totally-unsupported-by-anything-he's-said opinion is that he'll probably find it's trivial to do for Linux, for whichever Debian-style distro Steam is supporting these days.

I suspect that supporting Mac probably would mean only supporting one version at best,  though, which he may well find is not "Beyond Quality".
Team Bug Fix!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 06, 2021, 10:01:45 am »

Toady's statements on this (and Mac) since the beginning have been in the format "Sure we'd like to, but only if we can do it to the same quality"

My totally-unsupported-by-anything-he's-said opinion is that he'll probably find it's trivial to do for Linux, for whichever Debian-style distro Steam is supporting these days.

I suspect that supporting Mac probably would mean only supporting one version at best,  though, which he may well find is not "Beyond Quality".
He's run into huge problems with Linux and Mac in the past and the community have helped him out each time. Never seemed trivial at the time.
I suspect as a paid game it's going to be hard to justify the "well, someone will help me out, probably" approach. (But, Kitfox might step in with help instead).

[HYBRID BEING]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 06, 2021, 11:22:46 am »

Steam Community Update 1 July 2021: New Information Hub

https://steamcommunity.com/games/975370/announcements/detail/2966165443311320630

Full text:

Hi everyone!

We've started up work on the main information display, where you'll be able to check on and manage all sorts of things about your fortress. The old version of the game had this information scattered all over the place. This time we're trying to collect it all together:

Please note that most of this is placeholder graphics as I'm still tweaking bits and pieces. I drew a little red outline for 'remove work from job', but it'll probably end up being something different, ha ha ha. Some of the categories are also likely to change a bit.

We're more or less going to implement/update these going left to right, though there are lots of relationships between all the types of data so it isn't as simple as that. For instance, even on smaller screens (like the 1366px wide laptop image displayed here), there's still room on the right side for, say, some labor, health and military information for each citizen in the fortress. I'll be adding that as I go. And 1920px screens won't need the ellipses on dwarf names for the most part. In any case, when each of the tabs are done, we'll be through a hefty chunk of the remaining menus and screens from the old game.

Also new here on the Creatures tab (the old units screen), we have sorting! Lots of sorting. There's also a stress display, which players of the old version will recognize as something we just didn't have before. Now you're one click away from finding all of the dwarves in your fortress that are closest to throwing tantrums or otherwise having a miserable time. And it's cool to see them all there in a column with their little outfits! You'll note that we don't have a dwarf baby image in yet, he he he.

- Tarn

That was probably discussed before, but how moddable is UI going to be? Somehow looking at the image made me think that HUD would've been better double it's current size, at least buttons at the bottom (and maybe Speed/Menu/Help buttons). That said, if the idea is to have windows and displays NOT overlap HUD, that would leave less space for them.

The bar on top, on the other hand, could've used some shrinking and mouse hover screens - Pop and Idle could be merged into a single column (there are clearly two now), happiness display could be replaced with average happiness or a small graph, Meat, Fish and Plant could definitely be hidden under the Food, and different categories could take their place (like Wood and Stone, with different types on hover?). Not sure about date display, but maybe something like
Code: [Select]
17th
HEM
with color for season. I'm itching to suggest an icon for month instead, but they are kinda confusing by themselves - shapes and sometimes even colors are the same.

kitfoxgames

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Fortress Premium Publisher
    • View Profile
    • Kitfox Games Website
« Reply #218 on: July 15, 2021, 09:44:41 am »

Steam Community Update 15 July 2021: Better Ways to Order Your Dwarves

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370/view/4429837322771386150

Full text:

Hi again!

After the record-breaking heatwave in late June, it cooled off to more normal Summer temperatures, and this has allowed us to continue on smoothly!  There's a healthy grab bag of menus left to complete, relating to the military, justice, labor and so forth, and we're just going through them one by one in whatever order seems to make the work go fastest.  Most lately, we've been working on the ability to produce work orders.  Much of the art here on these fresh new menus is still placeholders.

Work orders are used to automate tasks in your fortress.  The most simple order is something like "make ten beds".  The manager (one of the administrator dwarves you appoint) validates the order, and then the jobs are automatically assigned to any carpenter workshop you have available, which saves you the trouble of setting them all manually.  Work orders can also be assigned to specific shops.

But there's a lot more you can do with work orders.  They can be conditioned on the stocks of the fortress.  For instance, you can set a work order to produce drinks at the still 25 times if your supply drops below 100 drinks, and the order will renew itself at the proper time.  You can also set key furniture orders, like the beds above, to renew based on the number of beds you have, or seasonally, etc.  Orders can also be conditioned on the completion of other orders, if you want to make sure you have the supplies available.  For instance, you could create 10 cloth, then have a 10 cloak order ready to go immediately afterward.  You can also leave all of this alone and get along just fine, but the system is pretty powerful and now it's less difficult to use!

The screen above is a basic work order being selected.  In the old Dwarf Fortress, this was an opaque mess.  Now it should be a little easier to find jobs, and also to see which jobs are available by shop.  We're still finishing up the menu by which you select conditions to place on orders (like the aforementioned "when drink supply is less than 100.")

Another bit we finished up is the ability to link workshops to stockpiles from the workshop.  We had already finished the ability to do this from stockpiles, but oftentimes it's more convenient to add links while you are in the shop thinking about production.  In this screen, we've set up the metalsmith to take metal bars from a particular pile and to give finished goods to a different pile.  Both of these piles are close to the shop, and so as long as the goldsmith is working and the piles are supplied by other dwarves, gold craft production will be happening as quickly as possible.  If you use the ability to nickname piles, it's also easy to remember what your setup is (I've neglected to do this in the screenshot!)

As with work orders, it's also possible to ignore stockpile links completely if you like.  But as you start to notice your dwarves wandering farther and farther to get job items, it becomes more natural to start optimizing storage and routes a bit, and you can begin to use these tools to fit your playstyle.

- Tarn

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 15, 2021, 09:55:51 am »

Another bit we finished up is the ability to link workshops to stockpiles from the workshop. 

- Tarn

Nice, but i uh, can't functionally see how wording this differently changes much of the perspective unless it fixes the age old problem that once something is in the workshop it can't be sent via the same stockpile attachment because it can't be recursively sent back to the source without jumping over a proxy stockpile, which is another step for dwarves to pick it up and reset etc and creates unnessecary labor to compared to just dumping it in the right place in a private depot.

So
Source Stockpile  ----> Workshop
Source Stockpile <----- Workshop + Workshop centric link, while recieving the source-stockpile link.

Much hype!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 10:06:54 am by FantasticDorf »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 15, 2021, 10:36:02 am »

Nice, but i uh, can't functionally see how wording this differently changes much of the perspective...

You've misunderstood what the change is. It just gives the workshop UI the ability to create stockpile links. Right now you can only do that from the stockpile UI.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 10:43:06 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 15, 2021, 11:54:07 am »

Nice, but i uh, can't functionally see how wording this differently changes much of the perspective...

You've misunderstood what the change is. It just gives the workshop UI the ability to create stockpile links. Right now you can only do that from the stockpile UI.

Seems like complete UI overkill in that case to supplant a click and some words from linking the stockpile manually. I still hold a candle for my interpretation of parallel stockpile location links without more elaboration by Toady at a later date on what exactly the nature of the addition is, but it would be disappointing if it wasn't. I guess if im wrong its unlikely to bother a DF classic player like myself somewhat comfortable with austere GUI too much who wont see it.

The narrow silver lining assuming your interpretation is correct, it seems like a good menu for connecting workshops to things that explicitly aren't stockpiles in a more effective manner. Like say... lists of shearable sheep.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 15, 2021, 06:51:01 pm »

For now, workshops set to take from another workshop or pasture can be done via burrow restriction in vanilla. Though yeah, this is less than ideal if you want to have free-wandering troll pseudo-citizens doing jobs while also only shearing the ones with teal gray wool.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 16, 2021, 05:20:32 am »

For now, workshops set to take from another workshop or pasture can be done via burrow restriction in vanilla. Though yeah, this is less than ideal if you want to have free-wandering troll pseudo-citizens doing jobs while also only shearing the ones with teal gray wool.

It works plenty well just on regular farm animals, trapping jobs and web collection burrows besides the very niche troll harvesting operations when you set up burrowed workshops.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 38