Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 38

Author Topic: Steam Official Announcement Thread (50.11 Edition!)  (Read 398166 times)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Official Announcement Thread (0.47.05 Edition!)
« Reply #225 on: July 17, 2021, 11:29:00 am »

Would be interesting if the channel ramps would lose half of that graphic if a room was carved out away from one side.  What was one a single tile of \/ would become a different graphic of _/ or \_ depending on where the space was.  This would mean that each ramp graphic would either effectively triple in number, Im aware, or possibly be made out of two overlay graphics with the light or dark center-line indicating higher or lower elevation.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 24, 2021, 11:15:38 am »

PTW

Stiqy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 25, 2021, 04:57:43 am »

Nice, pity to see there's no agents/intrigue panel, i guess we'll have to wait for the villian release to be more rounded but a page to itself just for counterintelligence will help bundle up stuff nicely.

There is a tab that literally says "counterintelligence"...

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 29, 2021, 10:58:20 am »

Steam Community Update 29 July 2021: Menus for Trade, Status and Work ⛏️

https://steamcommunity.com/games/975370/announcements/detail/2967294514063792898

Full text:

The Summer of menus!

Greetings all!
Tarn is back with an update on development in the last few months. This time it's all about efficiency and lots and lots of menus.

The video includes:

Wagons arriving to trade
    A microline figurine of a goose
    The Trade Screen
    Gem stockpiles
    The New Unit Screen
    Work Orders
    Cute pictures of Scamps and Jojo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlzCrJS1Fho

You can catch us and other rad Dwarf Fortress fans over at the Kitfox Games Discord.

See you next time,
Alexandra+ Kitfox
Team Bug Fix!

jocke the beast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 30, 2021, 02:41:39 am »

It looks amazing! Can't wait  :)
Me: Come, Join me on my adventures!
Crossbowman: *spits at me* Surely any place is better than this, lets be off!

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #230 on: August 12, 2021, 01:10:05 pm »

Steam Community Update 12 August 2021: Nobles and Workers ⚒Dwarf Fortress Steam Updates
More menus!

https://steamcommunity.com/games/975370/announcements/detail/4507526949779184381

Full text:
Hello!

More work on menus! There are so many menus. First, a small menu - the worker assignment for workshops.

Spoiler: image (click to show/hide)

Here you can assign a master to a workshop, and you have the option to dedicate the master to just their workshop jobs (and any other assignments.) This part is a little less flexible than the old DF system, where you could assign multiple dwarves and set skill ranges, but this new way works about as well with the new labor system and it'll additionally hook up to our ideas for guilds and apprentices as we expand it later, so, one master per shop now!

As details like this come in, we're placing the information on the creature list. You can see the workshop assignment and related icons here now, with room to expand, and some brighter text colors! The artists haven't had a chance to take a pass on them yet, so the hues and saturation levels might get shifted, but legibility on the gray background is the main goal.

The current labor system is now a large departure from the old DF. In the old one, narrow labor assignments, like 'miner' or 'gem setter', had to be set manually on every dwarf, and often new players would have no idea why a workshop task was not being completed, or why a building wasn't being constructed. Now you still need to have the correct resources, but the jobs will be done by anybody available, starting with the most talented.

By itself, this change takes a lot of control away, which you may find yourself wanting back as you become more skilled with the game. For instance, the workshop master is one way to have control, since the dedicated dwarf will become more skilled than random job takers, and ultimately produce better trade goods, weapons, and so on, with the same resources. The automatic labor assignment system does account for skill and tends to build up some skilled dwarves by itself, but the different is noticeable.

However, this isn't nearly enough! For instance, many tasks in Dwarf Fortress don't even occur at workshops. Mining, woodcutting, wall engraving, hauling, and several others take place elsewhere in the play area. The automatic labor system will muddle through here as well, but we've also added a new system: work details.

Here are the default work details, including the jobs I listed above. If dwarves are assigned to these work details, then by default, they'll be the only dwarves that do them. This allows you to set up dedicated wall smoothers and haulers for instance, so that other dwarves aren't constantly doing these things, whether they are dedicated workshop masters or not. If nobody is assigned to the haulers, then everybody will do it. You can also deactivate the work detail so that nobody at all does it, which can come up if you have other priorities or if there's some trouble in the fort to iron out before they return to work.

(Note: we still need to display relevant skills and order the dwarves properly! The order on the screen there is random. The automatic system also doesn't yet cover miners, woodcutters, and hunters, who use special equipment for their jobs, which complicates everything.)

Default work details alone don't capture the versatility of the old DF labor assignment system. It was very, very clunky, to the point that many people preferred working with a gigantic spreadsheet, but the ability to set custom labors is powerful as well, so it's important to recapture while trying to avoid making the system too laborious. To this end, we've added custom work details. Here you can see a new "Stone haulers" work detail I've created, with only the stone hauling labor enabled. In a dwarf fortress, stone gets everywhere, and you can set up some dedicated dwarves to grab the wheelbarrows and move stone slowly into piles where the carvers can more easily use it. I've set up some placeholder icons (just a bunch of roman numerals), so our first custom work detail got the 'I' symbol.

Rangers and animal dissectors assigned to stone hauling duty! You can dedicate anybody to their assignments, not just workshop masters, so we could also press the dedication buttons to the left of the 'I' symbols there to make sure these dwarves aren't distracted if there's a lot of hauling to be done. You can also turn off a custom work detail, and that job will be disabled for everybody, or re-enabled for everybody, depending on the option you select.

We're still in the midst of the labor interface! We still have to set up menus for doctors, farmers, fisherdwarves, and dwarves that work specific locations like tavern keepers, scholars, and performers. We'll also continue keeping our eye on feedback as we know the labor system is a concern for a lot of veteran players.

We've also been going through other menus and getting them sorted out. Here for instance is the standing orders menu. For the moment, it remains mostly unchanged from old DF, but could undergo some revisions as we continue. For now, we just need to get them all done! The chores tab there is new; young dwarves will do some hauling, cleaning, and other bits and bobs to be helpful around the fort.

Here's the stone usage menu. Again, this is a pretty unaltered transfer from the old DF, but there are lots of pretty stones now, courtesy of Patrick, and it's easier to see their various uses. This menu doesn't come up a lot, but it allows you to save or expend specific stone types according to your needs.

Finally, a first pass on the nobles and administrators menu as well! The central text column is a little cramped, ha ha. This is also reasonably similar to the old screen, but shinier, and allows you to set certain important jobs and to see how well you are doing in meeting those dwarves' room and furniture needs. A bookkeeper for instance needs an office to work in, and you can also set how precisely you'd like them to set the numbers. There's plenty of hover information to clarify the symbols, but it's also good to be able to take them in at a glance quickly.

We'll keep on working!

And congratulations to Kitfox on the Boyfriend Dungeon release! Lots of dwarfy weapons, and a cat, and an axe is coming!

- Tarn

P.S Have some more Jojo and Scamps!

Spoiler: images (click to show/hide)

Lots of big pictures in this one, so I put them under spoiler tags.

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 12, 2021, 06:13:02 pm »

Thanks a ton, voliol!

There was some miscommunication about who was doing the post today, alas, but you had us covered here!
Team Bug Fix!

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #232 on: August 13, 2021, 08:02:40 am »

Aha, I figured something was up when nothing had been posted the first 20 minutes. Good to know I was in the right.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 13, 2021, 10:50:21 am »

Just a day-after observation when the initial post was made, i hope the apprentice-speak this single workshop master is being made for can come along sooner than later since not having it in place on launch could be a little alienating for veteran classic DF player having their workshop profiles cut down, but chores/labor grouping are very welcome.

On the other hand, when it eventually may roll around, it'd be very sweet to get legendary dwarves teach your non-dwarf-fort residents directly, given races that don't live very long (comparatively) like humans to immigrate with well developed skills could really use the boost of a few 'Junior Apprentices' well into their 80's taught by long term resident dwarven dancers took by a mood, turning out consistent masterwork equipment for a high skill chain reaction.

DrudeFiegler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 23, 2021, 10:22:00 am »

Great announcement. I'm eager to test the new labor system. Hopefully, it will reduce a bit of my DwarfTherapist use.

Su

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angel Island Zone
« Reply #235 on: August 23, 2021, 07:30:30 pm »

whoops, i missed this one somehow.
one thing i like about the spreadsheet aproach to labours is that you can be very specific, customising them specifically for each dwarf. this new system is certainly a step up from the interface in df classic, but i do hope that spreadsheets will still be possible in conjunction with it - in dfhack at least, if not ideally in vanilla.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 24, 2021, 05:14:45 pm »

Thanks again for bringing the steam update posts here.  I find it much easier to just expand a spoiler tag than to open a steam image in a new tab to see the full sized image with readable text and so forth :)

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 24, 2021, 06:32:14 pm »

Thanks again for bringing the steam update posts here.  I find it much easier to just expand a spoiler tag than to open a steam image in a new tab to see the full sized image with readable text and so forth :)

Cheers!

Yeah, I was super excited to see we would get more information, but I made it a priority to make sure the older communities here and on reddit and Discord saw them as well.  :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 06:38:38 pm by clinodev »
Team Bug Fix!

Crabs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 25, 2021, 04:04:18 am »

Just a quick question, will the Steam Version with the very much apprieciated UI changes still work with ASCII tileset? Because I'm seeing tons of icons in the new UI which I can't picture with ASCII.
(\/) (*o*) (\/)

Mister Crabby the Pincers of Stabbing?

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 25, 2021, 05:15:06 am »

Just a quick question, will the Steam Version with the very much apprieciated UI changes still work with ASCII tileset? Because I'm seeing tons of icons in the new UI which I can't picture with ASCII.

It's honestly probably not the best place to ask questions in general, because there are threads for that, but we've been told since the beginning that both "Premium" and "Classic" will retain a traditional vanilla graphics mode.

I've read elsewhere that people who list games on Steam commit to providing all the features available elsewhere for a game to Steam customers as well for the same average price. This is apparently the reason that games on Kickstarter will have a hard end of Kickstarter sales for exclusive bonus stuff before the game releases on Steam, and probably why Paradox games for instance always seems to go on sale on Steam a week after Paradox has a sale on their own site.
Team Bug Fix!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 38