Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 38

Author Topic: Steam Official Announcement Thread (50.11 Edition!)  (Read 398029 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Official Announcement Thread (0.47.05 Edition!)
« Reply #270 on: October 22, 2021, 03:38:00 am »

It's much easier to understand what the video wants to showcase now with Zach's commentary, although I'd still want to see a bit more highlighting of new features, such as dwelling a bit on the modified squad screen.
- I believe the setting to forbid stuff during a siege is a new one (and a really handy one, if it works as it ought to, which the kid behavior indicates it either wasn't, or there should be a second setting that wasn't activated).

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 25, 2021, 05:05:18 pm »

It's much easier to understand what the video wants to showcase now with Zach's commentary, although I'd still want to see a bit more highlighting of new features, such as dwelling a bit on the modified squad screen.
- I believe the setting to forbid stuff during a siege is a new one (and a really handy one, if it works as it ought to, which the kid behavior indicates it either wasn't, or there should be a second setting that wasn't activated).
I think kids just like to misbehave. That'd be neat, and make Dwarven Childcare relevant again lmao.

Lovely video, though the webcam overlay unfortunately blocked the squad commands mentioned by Zach. Can't wait for subjective time to catch up to reality!

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 26, 2021, 07:41:16 am »

Give Dwarven children a statue in a room to visit: one per child.  The kid will hang out there playing.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 27, 2021, 06:52:45 am »

I generally use toy stockpiles, but that's a neat idea!
Team Bug Fix!

kitfoxgames

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Fortress Premium Publisher
    • View Profile
    • Kitfox Games Website
« Reply #274 on: November 04, 2021, 10:26:53 am »

Hello!

This week's video is all about setting up patrol routes with the new military screens. The gameplay is from Zach but we also have guest commentary from Dwarf Fortress Youtuber and Twitch streamer, Blind: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcqk8pdIsCFU32ofbjJkzOg.

Watch the video here: https://youtu.be/c3JQH_IXVwQ

This time, we see a fort in need of defending and we must create and equip squads of dwarves to patrol the outside walls. In the military screen, we can designate the type of equipment each dwarf should use, allowing them to seek it out and equip it.

Once we have our squads formed, we can map out the patrol route (as shown below with the dotted lines) and watch as the dwarves follow the path.

For the full video and a list of timestamps, check out the video on Youtube. Thank you to Blind for helping us with this week's update. If you're a Dwarf Fortress content creator (or want to be one), please visit us on the Kitfox Discord:https://discord.gg/Zcm2q8MMxh and/or say hi to me (Alexandra#0007) and the rest of the urists!

-Alexandra and Bay 12 Games

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #275 on: November 04, 2021, 11:36:24 am »

Looking good!  Is it still possible to select individual squad members (instead of the whole squads)?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 04, 2021, 01:17:29 pm »

Interesting as always, ill say outright it was quite dissapointing the armory/squad or indiv equip buttons on the barracks werent used, since im sure that'd make most older players heads implode as the ultimate hype-drop if that was where they got suited and booted. I frame by frame checked as dwarves fetched loose gear from the stockpile as they would normally (just to be sure)
  • also, designing art and UI for button functions that currently dont work? I really hope toady gets to it sometime pre-release dev cycle, since if it is being shipped out in still a bit of a broken state, you could add the buttons back in when they're ready.
But those updated patrol routes look 😘👌 real nice.

Looking good!  Is it still possible to select individual squad members (instead of the whole squads)?

Toady's covered it in the main bay12 blog post in writing as being possible, a demonstration though of perhaps moving a individual dwarf to scout out the new foggy underground would be quite appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 01:21:59 pm by FantasticDorf »

[HYBRID BEING]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 14, 2021, 02:41:04 am »

Will it be possible to clear announcement notifications by categories? Like, clearing just military related or job cancellation ones?

kitfoxgames

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Fortress Premium Publisher
    • View Profile
    • Kitfox Games Website
« Reply #278 on: November 22, 2021, 02:18:00 pm »

Hello!

Unfortunately, we've decided to end our partnership with Meph, although we wish him well in the future. Meph was working on many of the sprites for the Steam version of Dwarf Fortress.  It is disappointing to all of us personally, but only a minor setback for the project - Kitfox is already talking to a couple of other artists to help us finish things up.  We believe this is the best way forward, and that it won't delay the game significantly.

We'll need to rework some of the art behind the scenes, so there might not be screenshots or videos for a little while, but programming on the menus and things is ongoing.  There's still some months of code work to do while the new artist(s) get up to speed, so everything should end up on track

-Tarn and Kitfox Games
 P.S. We at Kitfox hope you have a cozy day with your loved ones this weekend, whether you're celebrating American Thanksgiving, Indigenous history, or just for fun!

Blomquistador

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the ☼Lever☼
    • View Profile
    • My Site
« Reply #279 on: November 22, 2021, 02:45:43 pm »

Unfortunately, we've decided to end our partnership with Meph,

Don't know if you can say, but does it have anything to do with the art licensing Fiasco with Meph's tileset? Wish everyone the best of luck.
Imagine it, a tombstone that has a scrolling LCD marquee of your best fortresses.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 22, 2021, 03:11:17 pm »

Unfortunately, where explanations aren't provided, people will come to their own assumptions. Many of these assumptions will likely be more grim than reality.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 22, 2021, 04:13:29 pm »

For anyone that's been reading the forum, the answer to Blomquistador's question is as obvious as a sore thumb.
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 22, 2021, 05:23:19 pm »

For anyone that's been reading the forum, the answer to Blomquistador's question is as obvious as a sore thumb.
Right now we can make a whole bunch of guesses and nothing else. You are obviously referring to the uncredited/questionably acquired content that is part of Meph's mod/tileset, but that is all that I know.

Did Kitfox fire Meph for something he did in a free tileset several years ago?
Or did Kitfox fire Meph for doing something in the present, while working on a paid project?

That is not a trivial difference.

We'll need to rework some of the art behind the scenes.
Why is this content being reworked? Was it of questionable provenance, as before? Or was it merely unfinished content? Again, this is not a trivial distinction.

Will Kitfox be redoing all of Meph's work so far, or merely some? In other words, are they willing to take his work, but just not him?

All of these questions bear a lot of weight on how Kitfox and Meph should be judged going forward.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 05:24:51 pm by Rekov »

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 22, 2021, 05:35:28 pm »

For those unaware of US business law, it's very unlikely Bay 12 or Kitfox will expand on their statement.

To do so would potentially open at least Bay 12 up to lawsuits.

Seriously, if he'd burned their offices down, filmed himself doing it, and uploaded it to YouTube for the world to watch, they'd be advised to say pretty much the same thing.
Team Bug Fix!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 22, 2021, 06:08:09 pm »

(Ninjaed. More succinctly.)

Did Kitfox fire Meph for something he did in a free tileset several years ago?
Or did Kitfox fire Meph for doing something in the present, while working on a paid project?
...Or did Meph even make the decision, for any number of reasons possibly even not majorly anything to do with what we think we know, but in the language of business "We decided to accept his resignation" (such a cliché of its own, that it positively invites possible (mis)reading between the lines) is not a valid option with which to officially convey this.

I was going to stay quiet, but I've just been at a meeting where I've had to disentangle the between-the-lines meanings of various proposed agenda items for a future meeting and I'm still largely reprogrammed to analyse everything down to the exact punctuation. But respecting Meph (and all the other 'names' known as being in this project, Tarn on down) and also Kitfox (as an organisation) I'm not in this instance going try to pin them all down and get them to explicitly say what they all may have no wish, need and/or authority to say.

And by begging various questions (or even saying things that, in the absence of an impossible-to-give denial, might end up resulting in much further misconstruing) the situation isn't helped.

I advise caution, and not jumping to (or leaping into) conclusions. There's no benefit in doing so.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 38