Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 38

Author Topic: Steam Official Announcement Thread (50.11 Edition!)  (Read 398027 times)

Blomquistador

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the ☼Lever☼
    • View Profile
    • My Site
Re: Steam Official Announcement Thread (0.47.05 Edition!)
« Reply #285 on: November 22, 2021, 09:27:11 pm »

All this being said, I don't think anyone should jump to conclusions and start a flame war. If you look at Meph's posts here and on Reddit, he is extremely open and repentant about the whole art situation. Folks like Vettlingr seem to be extremely heated about the subject which seems wholly unnecessary given Meph's attitude about the matter.
Imagine it, a tombstone that has a scrolling LCD marquee of your best fortresses.

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 23, 2021, 04:11:28 pm »

So the reason is unknown on 100% for "unrelated people", right?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #287 on: November 24, 2021, 04:35:05 am »

Before the same speculations pop up as on Reddit:

- I added uncredited art in my private tileset in 2016/17. Back then I didn't knew better, it was the first time working with sprites. I came from modding, I was more interested in actually putting pictures in the game using TWBT and dfhack, not drawing pictures myself.

- Over the years I learned about licencing and starting taking it more serious; I also started drawing my own sprites.

- I then got hired by Kitfox to work on the Steam release. They initially wanted to use my tileset as the base, but I told them that's not possible because a lot of sprites are from other sources.

- We then decided to start a new tileset from scratch, with Mike as the designer and me mostly doing variations/edits of his sprites and working out the intricacies of where to add which sprites, how to display ingame info, etc. Things I'm used from modding.

- Mike ended up having far less time than expected, so I had to step up and draw original sprites too.

- Vettlingr stumbled over my copyright violations from 2016/17 in my private set and very publically alerted both me and Kitfox about it.

- I took my personal tileset down and Kitfox convened with their laweyrs about what to do. The safest course of action for the Steam release is to distance themself from me, so my contract was terminated and all original artwork I did for them removed. They will probably keep the edits I did of Mikes sprites.

The situations sucks for everyone involved, but please refrain from attacking anyone, be it vettlingr, Kitfox or me. Vettlingr did something right, just in a rather blunt way. Kitfox acts like a responsible business, just a tad bit inpersonal. And I did something wrong, and now I'll carry the consequences, which is fair.

I know that Tarn is still working on the UI and I foresee a lot of time for optimization in that regard, because the UI is, as everyone here knows, not the strong suit of DF. In the meantime Kitfox is asking around other community artists that might replace me and help Mike finish what was started.

I myself will take a break from DF, since I can't work on the Steam release any longer; my own project of the last 5 years imploded; and working on a new community tileset with all the insider knowledge I have of the Steam release would be... odd? Unfair? I'm not sure.

I'll answer Rekovs questions for now, but I probably won't be around here much, so please don't send more my way. I'm not even sure what Kitfox thinks about me posting those answers.

Did Kitfox fire Meph for something he did in a free tileset several years ago?
Yep.
Or did Kitfox fire Meph for doing something in the present, while working on a paid project?
Nope.
Why is this content being reworked? Was it of questionable provenance, as before? Or was it merely unfinished content?
To be extra safe. Technically I am a "questionable provenance" from their point of view.
Will Kitfox be redoing all of Meph's work so far, or merely some? In other words, are they willing to take his work, but just not him?
As far as I know, they plan to redo the original sprites I did; they plan to keep the edits/variations I did based on Mikes sprites. I have no idea what happens with the replaced sprites, but I assume that they will never see the light of day. Would be cool to see them as community assetts for non-commercial tilesets in future, but I don't expect that to happen.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 04:36:54 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 25, 2021, 03:36:43 am »

Thanks for the post Meph.

It's the sanest thing so far in this mess. Explaining exactly what happened staves off speculation (and people wonder where conspiracy theories come from when all the available info is "no comment", "non disclosure", "classified", etc. bullshit?).

Good luck in the future. If nothing else, you've got some rather valuable experience that hopefully can be of use in future endeavors.

Novaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 26, 2021, 09:07:20 am »

I am going to miss you, honestly.

kitfoxgames

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Fortress Premium Publisher
    • View Profile
    • Kitfox Games Website
« Reply #290 on: December 02, 2021, 11:52:12 am »

Steam Community Update 2 December 2021: New Artist and World Map Progress:
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370/view/3108043507796301622

Full text:

Hello!

We are happy to announce Jacob Bowman to the Dwarf Fortress Steam edition team as our new pixel artist. You might be familiar with his work as Ironhand, as he created a rather popular tileset some years ago. We're excited to work with him, and he's already off to a great start making brand new tiles for us.

Here is a look at some of the art (both are works in progress!!) Jacob has made so far on the world map:

Look at those wormy hills and deep water! A world worth generating and spiralling into madness in, surely.

We will have more detailed updates with more images and video coming in the future as Jacob and the team works together, but I'm sure you'll agree that it's best not to rush Tarn and Zach so much that we add more bugs in haste. Thank you for being patient with us while we sort things out.

We are also still interested in talking to content creators (streamers, YouTubers, etc) interested doing more with Dwarf Fortress. If that is you, then let's chat on Discord! (Alexandra #0007)

-Alexandra, Tanya, and Bay 12 Games

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 04, 2021, 10:44:41 pm »

Definitely a shame all around.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 05, 2021, 05:06:31 am »

Definitely a shame all around.
That comment makes little sense, at you haven't produced any reference as to what the general all around thing you think is shameful actually is. I don't see anything in the preceding official post itself that would warrant condemnation. I can make guesses about other events that you might refer to, though, but that would be just that: guesses.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 05, 2021, 07:51:44 am »

It's pretty reasonable to assume by context it's about Meph having to leave?

Love, scriver~

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 05, 2021, 09:46:57 am »

Tragic, truly. Thank you for providing clarity to the whole situation in a fair way Meph. No one here was “owed” an explanation but it is certainly appreciated.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 06, 2021, 01:18:47 pm »

Ironhand is still my favorite tileset. It's an awesome surprise that the artist is coming back to DF. That's really exciting.

Nopal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 06, 2021, 05:43:31 pm »

We are happy to announce Jacob Bowman to the Dwarf Fortress Steam edition team as our new pixel artist.
I will now buy your game.
We are also still interested in talking to content creators (streamers, YouTubers, etc)
cringe

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 07, 2021, 07:34:09 am »

It's pretty reasonable to assume by context it's about Meph having to leave?
It's not an unreasonable speculation, but it remains a speculation (or guess, if you will).

DogsRNice

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Maclunky
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #298 on: December 10, 2021, 08:37:10 pm »

Steam Community Update 2 December 2021: New Artist and World Map Progress:
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370/view/3108043507796301622

Full text:

Hello!

We are happy to announce Jacob Bowman to the Dwarf Fortress Steam edition team as our new pixel artist. You might be familiar with his work as Ironhand, as he created a rather popular tileset some years ago. We're excited to work with him, and he's already off to a great start making brand new tiles for us.

Here is a look at some of the art (both are works in progress!!) Jacob has made so far on the world map:

Look at those wormy hills and deep water! A world worth generating and spiralling into madness in, surely.

We will have more detailed updates with more images and video coming in the future as Jacob and the team works together, but I'm sure you'll agree that it's best not to rush Tarn and Zach so much that we add more bugs in haste. Thank you for being patient with us while we sort things out.

We are also still interested in talking to content creators (streamers, YouTubers, etc) interested doing more with Dwarf Fortress. If that is you, then let's chat on Discord! (Alexandra #0007)

-Alexandra, Tanya, and Bay 12 Games

For a “work in progress” this looks better than a lot of entire games
I had an FB named Ned once.  I kept imagining a giant Ned Flanders...

Want an underground tree with green wood? Check out this tiny mod I made to add one

JonathanStrangeBT

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 12, 2021, 10:21:00 am »

Friend request sent, as I see no way of sending messages before hand. I'm starting my first Twitch run of the current game soon (2nd run overall).
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 38