Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 38

Author Topic: Steam Official Announcement Thread (50.11 Edition!)  (Read 398114 times)

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Official Announcement Thread (0.47.05 Edition!)
« Reply #300 on: December 12, 2021, 04:02:39 pm »

We are also still interested in talking to content creators (streamers, YouTubers, etc) interested doing more with Dwarf Fortress. If that is you, then let's chat on Discord! (Alexandra #0007)

Friend request sent, as I see no way of sending messages before hand. I'm starting my first Twitch run of the current game soon (2nd run overall).

The easiest and most common way to get enough of a connection to send messages would be to share a Discord server, such as the Kitfox Games Discord.
Team Bug Fix!

kitfoxgames

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Fortress Premium Publisher
    • View Profile
    • Kitfox Games Website
« Reply #301 on: December 16, 2021, 12:33:53 pm »

Steam Community Update 16 December 2021: New Embark Screen:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370/view/5973460047023572527

Full text:

Greetings all!

Yes, it's true! Tarn is back with a new video for an update many of you have been waiting for.

This time around we get to see the new and improved embark screen in all it's glory!

https://youtu.be/6l0HB8Qb2Cw

The highlight for old players is that it is not at all like the stunningly crappy embark screen from the ASCII version. This isn't an overstatement at all - the old embark screen is remarkably bad; people have made many remarks in fact.

For new players/future players, the highlight is perhaps that you can embark anywhere in a massive generated world with various meaningful differences, and also the general new shininess, and of course the new artist!

Check out the full video on the Kitfox Youtube channel.

You can catch us and other rad Dwarf Fortress fans over at the Kitfox Games Discord.

Thank you to all the Dwarf Fortress content creators for reaching out so far, it's been lovely meeting all of you and please do continue to reach out if you haven't yet!

See you next time,
Alexandra and Bay 12

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 16, 2021, 06:05:41 pm »

As an old player, the bit I always disliked was using the inbuilt site-finder with rather exacting qualities of drainage/elevation[1]/etc to find nothing matched, and then being less-exacting in stages (and in-breadth) to find the least-unmatching site.

...but then with the caveat that it took work to find similarly least-unmatching sites, because it would send you to just the one (you had to manually trawl over green-matching spots on the megamap to maybe find the others.

What would be good is a hierarchical fuzzy-matcher. Perhaps keeping a list of the top 100-or-so matches (dribbling into least-unmatched by hardcoded or user-definable metric of acceptibility) and/or when Site-Finding with initially loose parameters seeing hints that asking for higher temperatures would reduce the current sitelist from 50 to 20, while asking for low rainfall would reduce it to none!

(Ah, what I did here was change from "looks good, but don't forget..." into suggestions for game changes that are probably already covered by either Toady or potentially 3rd-parties. And someone'll point out I missed this actually existing. Ah well...)

[1] And maybe it's covered in the video, that I have yet to see, but I rather got into the cycling through elevation/slopiness/etc views to build up a 3+dimensional mental map. I hope that isn't removed. I presume like a Google Maps switch between default, terrain and photographic, there's something available here...

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #303 on: December 16, 2021, 08:47:10 pm »

The video showed elevation/slopiness, though not for too long as those still used placeholder images.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 18, 2021, 06:39:33 pm »

(Finally remembered to take time to view it.) A rip-roaring ride of a preview. Way too much resolution for my current device, so if I didn't already know what should be indicated (and with the nice commentary), my head would surely be spinning from the rollercoaster-ride we get. ;)

Certainly gives a more newbie-friendly view. And no doubt I could get used to it along with everything else that's being ruined redesigned... ;)

Fortressmaker

• Bay Watcher
  • i am fortress maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 25, 2021, 02:08:50 am »

Noice, I Just killed un some goblins in my fort, but this makes me
Even happier
Hello "Your name", i cant say i heard it before, the life is, in one word, Fortresses.

kitfoxgames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kitfox Games Website
« Reply #306 on: January 13, 2022, 11:33:01 am »

Steam Community Update 13 January 2022: New Legends Mode:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370/view/3108047224245566889

Full text:

Hello! Back to work in 2022, and something different: Legends Mode! When you start Dwarf Fortress, you generate a world that you can play several games in, and this world's history can be quite involved. Sometimes it's fun for a change of pace to sift through the details. Once you've played a fortress, your fortress's characters and events are also incorporated into the legends.

In the text version of Dwarf Fortress, navigating legends is quite difficult; you can only view one page at a time, and you cannot move directly from one entry to another. To build up any kind of meaningful story or to view even a few different pages of information, you'd pretty much need to be writing things down on paper or in an outside text editor. Now, we enter the Age of the Hyperlink:

Every colorful word, which I'll probably also underline before the end, can be clicked to open up a new page. You can keep as many tabs open as you like.

I wanted to figure out a little bit about the master goblin poet and their spouse and such. It only took a few seconds and I didn't need to take any outside notes, ha ha.  So far, so good!

- Tarn

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 13, 2022, 12:44:13 pm »

As many tabs as I want it is said, but how many tabs until the programme bites it? :D
Love, scriver~

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 13, 2022, 06:28:31 pm »

Sweet!  If the revamped Legends includes a map and civ statistics, I will be a happy Dwarf.

dash2

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 26, 2022, 09:37:12 am »

Really want to read Melbil's books now. I guess the Entangled Malice gave him a bad review.

kitfoxgames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kitfox Games Website
« Reply #310 on: January 27, 2022, 12:25:46 pm »

Steam Community Update 27 January 2022: World Chronicle:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370/view/4975916532672871198

Full text:

Hey!

It's Alexandra here from Kitfox. We have just a bit of news this week building off of the major update to Legends Mode. During world generation, a text box will appear displaying the significant events of the area.

The most important of the last 1000 events are added every second. Players will be able to pause and browse the chronicle at their speed so you can dive into the lore of your world before it's even saved! Unlike in Legends mode, the colourful text isn't clickable although this could change in the future.

Work is moving along very well but the news for the next while will be a tad dry and lacking graphics. This means that there might not be an update every two weeks, but rest assured we are moving forward. To make up for it, here are some new pictures of Scamps and Jojo:

-Alexandra + Bay12

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 28, 2022, 08:59:21 am »

Lovely Legends news! Lovely scamps and jojo pictures too. Can never have too many of those!
Love, scriver~

kitfoxgames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kitfox Games Website
« Reply #312 on: February 10, 2022, 12:28:28 pm »

Steam Community Update 10 February 2022: Map Legend
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370/view/5893526236318022998

Full text:

Hey!

It's Alexandra again from Kitfox with a bit of dwarfy news. I know I said last time things were going to be a bit slow, but we still have a few things to share. We wanted to show you what a fully generated world looks like and Jacob has created a map legend with all new sprites!

See full size map: https://imgur.com/a/StnOP0J

This is a medium sized world and we are still working on a few visual details here. You'll notice there are no caves for example, because they end up being very numerous and mess up the look a bit. The rivers are also a little wonky at the moment but they will be fixed. The underworld spire goblin cities should be distinguished - right now they look like the regular goblin forts (in ASCII, these were the difference between dark magenta and the much rarer light magenta symbols).

In our next update, we will be sharing a roadmap of what is left to do and approximate time it will take to finish. These aren't going to be firm, but we want to be as transparent as we can about development.

See you next time!

- Alexandra + Bay 12

P.S.
An earlier version of this post said the sprites had been created by Patrick. I later edited it to reflect the correct artist, Jacob. Sorry about that to both artists!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 01:18:24 pm by kitfoxgames »

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #313 on: February 10, 2022, 01:00:12 pm »

Wow, the map looks awesome!  I believe I can make out all the biomes instinctively.  The destroyed hillocks and forest retreats and such are a nice touch, too.

Are the dark brown blobs dark pits?  If so, what's the difference between them and other two variants with a structure on them?  As plentiful as they are, they look strange to me.

I assume the light brown castles are an old symbol for camps.

Volcanoes and mountains look fantastic.  Will volcanoes always have the mountain appearance regardless of elevation?  (Context: Currently, flat volcanoes are possible, albeit rare.  They're essentially lava lakes.)

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 11, 2022, 08:51:44 am »

The Terrain looks awesome, but the map legend symbols need more consistency imho. Some are frontal, some isometric or top down. The isometric ones look like the belong to a complete different tileset when placed on the map.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 38