Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 38

Author Topic: Steam Official Announcement Thread (50.11 Edition!)  (Read 398119 times)

Octopusfluff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Official Announcement Thread (0.47.05 Edition!)
« Reply #420 on: November 18, 2022, 05:08:36 am »

Unfortunately, WINE (which proton depends upon) is a somewhat hefty piece of software, so it may still be out of reach for some people.

Hefty how? Many games run faster under Proton than they do in Windows even, and performance impacts are rarely significant in my experience.

What i meant was that WINE itself takes up a lot of storage space.

steam release for df is advertising storage requirements of about 500 megs.

a typical glorious eggroll release is a gig or so (within a couple hundred megs either way) extracted. official proton releases within the last couple years seem to be about a couple gigs or so (within a couple hundred megs), for reasons unclear to me (differently optimized builds? idk).

even still, that's not terribly massive for a system that's able to actually able to meaningfully play the premium edition. odds are pretty good anyone running linux using steam and not all-in on "native builds or gtfo" has some proton builds installed already.

if someone is running on a machine where a couple gigs of compatibility layer is that problematic, running the premium edition is quite probably not going to be a happy experience anyway.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: November 18, 2022, 05:22:28 am »

Let's Learn Dwarf Fortress Steam Edition Play list including today's stream.

And today's interview by Blind Premieres 11/18/22, 10:00 AM Pacific Dwarf Fortress - Tarn and Zach Adams Talk - Workshop Support and Release Date (November 2022) (about 7 hours after this post)
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

A_Cuter_Triangle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: November 18, 2022, 10:46:32 am »

The new release looks lovely!  I have been a Dwarf Fortress player since shortly after the move to three dimensions.  I would be greatly interested in a GOG.com release, although if necessary, I will use itch.io.  Not a fan of Steam!  Please consider a wider release!  Thanks.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: November 21, 2022, 02:31:52 pm »

Being playing and following just after the first release, I'm eager to try the steam version. :)

hirsute_offender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: November 22, 2022, 08:40:47 am »

wow no mac version on launch? what a low blow to the community

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: November 22, 2022, 09:08:03 am »

wow no mac version on launch? what a low blow to the community

I'm on Linux and sometimes one has to accept that even together we only make a small fraction of steam users. A later release for other systems seems not too uncommon for many games. I'm hopeful emulators will run it, though.

Another vote for a gog release here!

supasang

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: November 23, 2022, 09:01:02 am »

why is classic adventure mode being delayed for months because steam's UI isn't ready yet again? Is classic going to be punished for steam's development all the time now?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #427 on: November 23, 2022, 09:19:53 am »

Since old versions of Classic will still be up for download with adventure mode enabled (e.g. 0.47) "punished" might not be the right word. Presumably it's because they want to keep the quality above a certain line, which has been brought higher with the new UI in the rest of the game. Note that these UI changes aren't as much "Steam's UI" as they are "the new UI", Classic are getting them as well, just without the fancy graphics.
But yeah, it is pretty curious. It could also be that the old/current Adventure mode UI is broken due to the Fortress mode changes, but as that is pure speculation. Might be worth a question over in the Future of the Fortress thread. You can't really expect a answer here, it's just for gathering all the announcements in one place on the forum.

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: November 23, 2022, 02:14:30 pm »

But yeah, it is pretty curious. It could also be that the old/current Adventure mode UI is broken due to the Fortress mode changes, but as that is pure speculation. Might be worth a question over in the Future of the Fortress thread. You can't really expect a answer here, it's just for gathering all the announcements in one place on the forum.

Tarn did confirm that the old/current Adventure mode UI is broken.

Quote from: Mr Crabman
Could the current/old versions be enabled through some out-of-the-way config option somewhere, maybe even requiring editing a text file instead of just toggling something in the menu? At least the Object Testing Arena, because it's quite handy for... Object testing. Trying to update mods for the new graphics functionality (or trying to make new mods entirely) for the Premium version would go somewhat slower and more painfully if there is no way to instantly test things on the Premium version, and if the concern is exposing unwitting new players to an unpolished and difficult to use menu, requiring out-of-the-way configuration to access it would solve this.

The modes don't function now, and I'm not going to try to cludge them in since it'll take extra time to make the parallel systems work.  In arena mode's case that's probably the same amount of time as just doing the necessary arena mode menus.

kitfoxgames

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Fortress Premium Publisher
    • View Profile
    • Kitfox Games Website
« Reply #429 on: November 23, 2022, 02:34:56 pm »

Steam Community Update 23 November 2022: Workshop and Official Merch

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370/view/3507770137587814289

Full text:

Hello Urists!

It's Alexandra from Kitfox Games with another community update!

It's less than two weeks until launch and we are all busy and excitedly preparing for the big day. Tomorrow (November 24th at 2pm ET) will be our third and final beginner-friendly stream on the Kitfox Twitch channel. Streamer and Youtuber SalfordSal (https://www.twitch.tv/salfordsal) will be joining us this week to see if we can keep our fort going (despite the chaos). You can find the VODs of all the streams on our Youtube channel in this playlist: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAcQJt6sSXKAk1b7GEo4TX3xMO_oBKvL6

Workshop Update

If you've been following our Update Roadmap, you'll know that Tarn has been busy prioritizing Steam Workshop integration. We are happy to announce that indeed Steam Workshop will be available at launch. This means that you'll be able to find and install Dwarf Fortress mods with ease. If you are a mod developer please feel free to contact me at alexandra@kitfoxgames.com or on Discord at Alexandra#0007 to discuss getting your mod on Workshop!

This also means that we won't have enough time to get Classic or Arena ready for launch but they will soon follow. To be clear, this means  the free classic update will be a bit late coming to Bay 12's website as well. But it will be available as soon as humanly possible. We will continue to provide regular updates on the progress of these modes.

Official Merch on Fangamer

Official Dwarf Fortress merch is coming to Fangamer! There is a pin, a metal band-style t-shirt and a pint glass with drawings of inside a fort. You can sign up here to get notified as soon as the merch becomes available here: https://www.fangamer.com/collections/dwarf-fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.

-Alexandra

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: November 23, 2022, 05:19:43 pm »

If you've been following our Update Roadmap, you'll know that Tarn has been busy prioritizing Steam Workshop integration. We are happy to announce that indeed Steam Workshop will be available at launch. This means that you'll be able to find and install Dwarf Fortress mods with ease. If you are a mod developer please feel free to contact me at alexandra@kitfoxgames.com or on Discord at Alexandra#0007 to discuss getting your mod on Workshop!

In regaurds to this, do we add Alexandra on discord or do we join a specific server to direct message them?
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: November 23, 2022, 07:20:54 pm »

In regaurds to this, do we add Alexandra on discord or do we join a specific server to direct message them?

Just join the official DF Discord: https://discord.gg/kitfoxgames
Team Bug Fix!

ASCII_Dwarf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: November 26, 2022, 02:12:49 pm »

This is very exciting! DF has been on my steam wishlist since June of 2019.

kitfoxgames

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Fortress Premium Publisher
    • View Profile
    • Kitfox Games Website
« Reply #433 on: December 01, 2022, 12:56:39 pm »

Steam Community Update 1 December 2022: Dwarf Fortress OST out now + Modding Guide   

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370/view/3640627050780334316

Hello Urists!

It's Alexandra from Kitfox Games the last regular news update before launch (ahhhhhh)! 

We are excited to announce that the Official Dwarf Fortress Soundtrack for the Steam Edition is out RIGHT NOW! This legendary song collection is of the highest quality featuring tracks by Dabu, Simon Swerwer and Águeda Macias (The Gamba Geek).

Youtube (includes 1 hour ambience track):

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLp1Y6qRhEmZyEeE3O1xz-qb62htJbPqIF

Spotify:
https://open.spotify.com/album/1IzWFdH2pfCbho7naePC9o?si=2xe8kZIsQn-k_uhCRzgXWQ

Apple Music:
https://music.apple.com/ca/album/dwarf-fortress-original-game-soundtrack/1656317303

Bandcamp OST:
https://dabuaudio.bandcamp.com/album/dwarf-fortress-official-steam-soundtrack

Dwarf Fortress Steam Edition uses a system of musical cards that play throughout Fortress Mode.These snippets are available seperately from the OST:

Bandcamp In-Game Cards:
https://dabuaudio.bandcamp.com/album/dwarf-fortress-in-game-cards

Modding Guide

Thank you to all the modders who contacted me to discuss their work! I've been working with Tarn to develop a modding guide that will help you get your mods onto Steam Workshop. It should let you convert existing object mods, but it doesn't have any information for tileset mods since that's a lot more information and some folks will do that best by mimicking what they find in the actual folders. Much like the Roadmap, this will be an evolving document which we be updating as we go but it will be quite a big task.

Modding Guide: https://bay12games.com/dwarves/modding_guide.html

Send your Well Wishes to Bay12

With less than 5 days till launch, its never been a better time to join the Kitfox Discord aka the Official Dwarf Fortress Discord! We are an active friendly community always ready and willing to help with any dwarfy questions you might have. Don't miss out on chatting with the devs, joining community events and getting all the dwarf news right away! Also make sure to send your well wishes to Tarn and Zach ahead of launch!

Kitfox Discord: https://discord.gg/kitfoxgames

That's all I have for now, but you'll be hearing from me again on Dec 6th for launch!

-Alexandra

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: December 03, 2022, 09:23:10 am »

Quick question for the upcoming release:
Is Steam the only platform where we can buy the game or does Kitfox offer it separately? If there are multiple options, it would be good to know which option is more beneficial for Tarn and Zack. Just want to make sure that as much of the selling price as possible helps the Adams brothers and not a big corp like Valve...

Is there any info on this?
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 38