Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 38

Author Topic: Steam Official Announcement Thread (50.11 Edition!)  (Read 398130 times)

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Official Announcement Thread (0.47.05 Edition!)
« Reply #435 on: December 03, 2022, 10:10:57 am »

Quick question for the upcoming release:
Is Steam the only platform where we can buy the game or does Kitfox offer it separately? If there are multiple options, it would be good to know which option is more beneficial for Tarn and Zack. Just want to make sure that as much of the selling price as possible helps the Adams brothers and not a big corp like Valve...

Is there any info on this?
You can buy it on Itch.io as well.

Itch gives them a bigger cut, but buying it on Steam gives them better promotional stats to show the game to other people who may buy it, and also your review counts towards the desirable "Overwhelmingly Positive Reviews" thing. Last I heard is the benefits more or less make them evenly matched.

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 03, 2022, 10:15:49 am »

Is Steam the only platform where we can buy the game or does Kitfox offer it separately? If there are multiple options, it would be good to know which option is more beneficial for Tarn and Zack. Just want to make sure that as much of the selling price as possible helps the Adams brothers and not a big corp like Valve...

Itch gives them a bigger cut, but buying it on Steam gives them better promotional stats to show the game to other people who may buy it, and also your review counts towards the desirable "Overwhelmingly Positive Reviews" thing. Last I heard is the benefits more or less make them evenly matched.
Thanks for the quick reply. Is there an option of merging my version with Steam, even if I buy it on Itch.io? I know of some cases where Steam allowed this...

Z

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 06, 2022, 04:23:40 am »

Today is the day!

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: December 06, 2022, 04:30:01 am »

Thanks for the quick reply. Is there an option of merging my version with Steam, even if I buy it on Itch.io? I know of some cases where Steam allowed this...

I don't know of any such option, and I haven't heard of the cases you're referring to.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #439 on: December 06, 2022, 05:15:46 am »

You can add any separate application to be launchable from Steam, but I don't know if this is what you're referring to. It only adds an item to your "all games" list, and possibly the Steam overlay. Any other Steam integration like achievements will be missing, even if the game also exists on Steam, and if you also own the game on Steam for real they won't be "merged" in any way but will be considered separate applications.

You will be able to transfer saves and mods though (afaik, it will be confirmed in a few hours).

Geofferic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: December 06, 2022, 12:17:06 pm »

I just logged in to say that I've paid, easily, £1000 for this game over the years and I paid for it on Steam, again, and gleefully. I even bought the soundtrack. And I'm Deaf.

Congratulations to the generous!

All of the 'huzzahs' I can muster are for Toady One and ThreeToe!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: December 06, 2022, 01:20:02 pm »

I am very happy for Tarn and Zach. The game looks great!

I am having a hard time "relearning" the interface, but it is a hassle worth having if more people will get to play DF.

adgriff2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: December 06, 2022, 01:40:57 pm »

I'm so happy for you guys! Purchased in the first hour, fired it up to generate a huge world and gave a review as soon as it let me. Praise the miners!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: December 06, 2022, 03:14:20 pm »

Congratulations Tarn, Zach and the whole team. I hope this brings Dwarf Fortress to a much larger audience, and I hope your coffers overflow with wealth. You guys have earned every bit of it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: December 06, 2022, 08:52:17 pm »

itch.io kept declining my card for some reason. Steam went through just fine. Would've preferred to use the method that gave Toady a bigger cut, but it is what it is.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: December 06, 2022, 10:44:17 pm »

Will buy when adventure mode is readded, because at this point I only play that lol.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: December 07, 2022, 01:57:44 am »

Yeah, I don't intend to play yet either, but I logged onto steam long enough to buy it and then made an itch account to get it there, too. I see it as a meta donation doing my bit to bump the figures and maybe add to hype which might encourage actual new people to buy it. They deserve to be millionaires if anyone does.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: December 07, 2022, 03:40:16 am »

It's just kind of sad that no-one even bothered to announce the release here at Bay12. Like someone convinced Tarn that "those guys aren't going to buy it, they all despise Steam and are holding out for the free ASCII version - hipsters that they are".

And with the forum acting like it's about to collapse any minute, it's all feeling a bit like FPS death around here.  :(

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: December 07, 2022, 03:55:57 am »

It's just kind of sad that no-one even bothered to announce the release here at Bay12. Like someone convinced Tarn that "those guys aren't going to buy it, they all despise Steam and are holding out for the free ASCII version - hipsters that they are".

And with the forum acting like it's about to collapse any minute, it's all feeling a bit like FPS death around here.  :(
To be fair, as a years-long lurker just coming back, there was that sentiment a while ago but by now it's calmed down.

The hipsters give this forum a bad name.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: December 07, 2022, 04:00:07 am »

Congrats Toady and all who supported him on the Steam release!

I know what I will be spending my Christmas Steam gift card on!

Also, wow! The forums have been so hard to connect to since the release, and Steam already classifies the game as 'top seller'.
Well done and well deserved!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 38