Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Haggard visitors  (Read 1668 times)

papabrando

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Haggard visitors
« on: June 15, 2019, 08:50:37 am »

What's up guys. I was just wondering if any of you had experiences with haggard visitors? A little while ago a marksdwarf visitor showed up to my fort and I noticed that she was "haggard". I didn't put much thought into it and let her be but about 20 seconds ago she just started beating on one of my cooks and toppling statues/stills/cage traps. The cage trap f'ed her ankle up and slowed her down enough for my military to come down from the surface and make quick work of her. Anyone else have an experience like that? Should I just "accidentally" pull the spike hall lever next time? :D

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Haggard visitors
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 11:47:13 am »

Visitors can get stressed out and tantrum (and display any of the other temporary insanity behaviors), in particular when subjected to the heavy blow of having their applications for residency denied.

papabrando

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 12:07:06 pm »

Visitors can get stressed out and tantrum (and display any of the other temporary insanity behaviors), in particular when subjected to the heavy blow of having their applications for residency denied.
Thing is, she arrived stressed out/haggard. Never petitioned for residency (I even have all my locations inside the fort set to citizens and long-term residents only after a tavern brawl turned loyalty cascade. Haven't had any petitions for residency since, only for citizenship from the people who've been there for a while)

The only visitors that really show up nowadays are mercs trying to get into the caverns and mercs demanding artifacts I've stolen. I'll make sure to keep my eyes out for any more peeved off visitors. Thanks man.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 12:20:40 pm »

Is there any chance this dwarf was expelled from this or another fort in the same world?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 12:34:07 pm »

Thing is, she arrived stressed out/haggard.

Currently, little stress-related happens "off-site". It's quite likely she had been to your site (or another player-fortress) previously, though she could have been a caravan guard, trader, or citizen at that time.

Unfortunately, visitors tend to accumulate stress which they are unable to address, leaving them to return unhappier and unhappier until they finally snap during a visit. Without a good way to deal with unruly guests, I send in a military dwarf to enforce the only punishment I can. Consequently, my worlds tend to run out of visitors eventually. The good news is that visitor ghosts leave the fortress when their visit timer expires so you don't need to fill your catacombs with tragically unhappy guests.

papabrando

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 12:42:21 pm »

Is there any chance this dwarf was expelled from this or another fort in the same world?
I'm not entirely sure, I've only expelled one dwarf and his family from the fort and that was nearly 5 years ago. But it couldn't of been one of them because they died on their way out.  ;D
Maybe it was a dwarf that got denied residency at one point, not too sure.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 01:06:22 pm »

Closest I've gotten was a group that developed PTSD because they arrived right after a battle. I mean, that's actually pretty disturbing to see, but shouldn't be unusual in the DF world. I think all but one became a useful member of society before having a breakdown that required military intervention.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 09:52:47 pm »

Is there any chance this visitor has visited your fort before? Sometimes visitors will make repeat appearances; if your fortress is unpleasant enough, your visitor may have just cracked under the pressure of traversing your front yard over and over again.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

papabrando

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 07:50:02 am »

Is there any chance this visitor has visited your fort before? Sometimes visitors will make repeat appearances; if your fortress is unpleasant enough, your visitor may have just cracked under the pressure of traversing your front yard over and over again.
I think that may of been the problem. Can't really figure that out in legends now, my axe lords killed her, and I have like 3k kills/missing in the unit screen. She probably lost it at all the dead outside the walls, or got denied residency at one point.

Here's some screenshots. I have no clue how to upload an image straight to the forums so I'll just throw em on imgur.

Zeeneri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2019, 01:11:51 am »

I had a visiting bard elf go into a tantrum and starting hitting dwarves and other visitors, I think he was accused of something like 38 counts of assault. He got like 400 days being imprisoned. When the 400 days were up he was haggard with the max stress, but was left chained in his cell. He hasn't moved or done anything as far as I can tell. Dwarves still come to feed him, but he's literally unmoved from his position. Maybe I should remove the chain and see if he starts doing something again? I dunno.

The point is, visitors are weird and do buggy seeming things at the moment. I had a fortress where I sealed off the caverns but the mercs still kept coming, and they would go insane because they couldn't get to the fortresses and fight the forgotten beasts that still hang out down there. And they've killed Dwarves.