Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Which animals SHOULD be war trainable?  (Read 4789 times)

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
Re: Which animals SHOULD be war trainable?
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2019, 07:04:47 am »

The arbitrary distinction of animals into normal, war and hunting variants predates the personality system and in my opinion it should be scrapped and replaced with simple, exaggerated personality traits and skills (already implemented) for animals. In the child stage, an animal trainer could impart "aggression", "stealth"' "labor" or tricks" in a child animal, with each training facet increasing relevant skills and personality traits (e.g. training for aggression increases Fighter, Discipline, Biter if the animal has an appropriate body part, etc.).  When the animal becomes an adult, its personality and skills are fixed and potentially some labors enabled (e.g. an animal highly trained in tricks will dance if its owner is also doing a performance task (or sing if it's a bird?), and an animal trained in labor will haul items for its owner (but not do more complex tasks like crafting). Higher animal trainer skill increases traits faster or decreases cooldown time between when  an animal can be trained. Animal species and caste could affect how much skills are trained by each session, so e.g. a monkey could train tricks very fast but protectiveness very slowly. Training aptitude could be handled by evaluating existing tokens and implementing a handful of new ones.

IndigoSnake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Which animals SHOULD be war trainable?
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2019, 07:37:30 am »

The arbitrary distinction of animals into normal, war and hunting variants predates the personality system and in my opinion it should be scrapped and replaced with simple, exaggerated personality traits and skills (already implemented) for animals. In the child stage, an animal trainer could impart "aggression", "stealth"' "labor" or tricks" in a child animal, with each training facet increasing relevant skills and personality traits (e.g. training for aggression increases Fighter, Discipline, Biter if the animal has an appropriate body part, etc.).  When the animal becomes an adult, its personality and skills are fixed and potentially some labors enabled (e.g. an animal highly trained in tricks will dance if its owner is also doing a performance task (or sing if it's a bird?), and an animal trained in labor will haul items for its owner (but not do more complex tasks like crafting). Higher animal trainer skill increases traits faster or decreases cooldown time between when  an animal can be trained. Animal species and caste could affect how much skills are trained by each session, so e.g. a monkey could train tricks very fast but protectiveness very slowly. Training aptitude could be handled by evaluating existing tokens and implementing a handful of new ones.
That sounds really cool! So I imagine you could assign any animal to a dwarf, but only those with high discipline would help their owners fight, as opposed to fleeing with supreme terror? I suppose you could make that influenced by size-difference as well; then, all of Urist's war-hippopotamus galloping off could be a subtle hint to the player that fighting that extremely muscular ogre might be a bad idea!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 07:39:19 am by IndigoSnake »
Pages: 1 2 [3]