Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: .∙• [44.12] Deeper Dwarven Domestication (DDD) – themed animals (UPDATED) •∙.  (Read 42645 times)

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would have thought the walrusbat would have used its tusks to hang onto rock walls for support instead of hang upside down because of its body fat, the themes are good but aren't shaggy dogs technically a class group of 'dogs' because for dwarves they fufill the same purpose?

Taking the modification 'dog breeds 1.0' and other things 'dog' is described to be a indistinguishable mutt, so i wouldn't personally think it would be extra crucial to add them to dwarves, or least offer other races a caste of dog to use and allow dogs to remain under the domestic tag as they are.

Could also argue crag boars are also pretty decent substitute for sows entirely on body mass and tusks unless anything significant changed like nerfing them to be grazers (would you consider nerfing some dwarven animals to be grazers? There are a lot of omnivorous/herbivore utility creatures in this modification that could be lorewise moss grass feeders)

Badgerdogs are not meant to be actual canides (the family of dogs, wolves, jackals, coyotes), but are a dog/wolf sized mustelid (the family of weasels, ferrets, otters, badgers, wolverines). They are a "dog" in the same sense that a beak dog or a naked mole dog is a "dog", they are a medium-large carnivore that is trainable.  It's purely a naming convention thing that Toady has established in the world of DF.

If I were to give dwarves their own actual dog species, it would be something like a Mountain Mastiff or similar, that dwarves could use as mounts.

And you are right!  Cragboars and pretty much every animal in this mod are better substitutes than the vanilla creatures.  This was intentional.  I didn't want to make these creatures busted, but they also need to be worthwhile to be worth investing time/resources to have them in your fortress.  This is because, in vanilla, there are only a few actual animals that are worthwhile; they are way better than all the rest, and pet prices are super screwy.

The best domestic animals:
  • Cats: Only vermin killer
  • Dogs: Only trainable
  • Goats: Cheapest (and best) milk/horn/hoof/meat source with lowest grazing requirements (dogs are the best pure meat source)
  • Sheep: Cheapest (and best) wool source, otherwise identical to goat
  • Pigs: Only milkable animal that doesn't require grazing

Llamas and Alpacas are just more expensive sheep that offer almost no real benefit to warrant their double price tag and harsher grazing requirements. The only thing that makes them different from sheep is they are larger, which only amounts to ~30% more meat, double the bones, and a few more wool, but for twice the cost.

Horses, donkeys, yaks, water buffalo, reindeer, and cows are all essentially the same animal, with a little variation in total butchering products.  A yak or water buffalo is a better cow in almost every way, except it is only 2/3 the price of a cow.  Makes no sense.

All the birds are a mess.  If you only want eggs, then Turkeys are the way to go.  If you want to butcher your birds for meat/leather/bone, then Geese or Blue Peafowl are the only real options (Turkeys are an ok alternative, but you have to wait 2 years for them to grow to adults, which is silly).

All of this is only if you care about efficiency.  It is a game afterall, and so you will bring the animals you like, balance be damned.  And if that is the case, then who cares if these new animals are "better" by a little bit?  They're easier to manage, and provide your dwarves with more things to do. Its all meant for fun.
But vanilla creatures is realistic. Not all domestic creatures is good, but civ in region just have no better. Idea of make domestic animals biome-specied is good. You must not make creatures for your wish make better than vanilla, this animals will be all cheating and also not in setting. Look at vanilla cave animals. Add to some of them milk, vermin hunting, trainable or shearable. And make creature classes "DWARF_PET", "DWARF_SIEGE", "DWARF_MOUNT" and "DWARF_WAGONPULLER", for add creatures to dwarf civ by definition as kobold civ have spiders and snakes.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile

Oh great, it's Mr. Negative-About-All-The-Mods again...

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I want modmakers who make really good mods.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why dont you just make the mods you want to see?

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile

These modmakers do make good mods!

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

These modmakers do make good mods!
I need better than this mods.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Just for your info, this is probably the most beloved pet mod out there.

Of course you can have a different opinion, but there is no need to post it.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Got to second Meph here. I'm happy to see that this thing is still alive.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]