Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: current bug civ mods?  (Read 1196 times)

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
current bug civ mods?
« on: June 16, 2019, 05:21:33 pm »

I am thinking of making a bug civ mod (to get more familiar with casters and such) but would like to create one that currently isnt modders in game. So, I may just make up my own, but are there any current bug civ mods? Ant men? Spider men? Etc?

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: current bug civ mods?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 08:27:20 pm »

My idea is some sort of ant like race that has worker castes, soldiers castes, females, etc. The females would be rare but would have big litter sizes with offspring that grow up quickly, but short life spans. There would be a queen noble position restricted to females. Is there any mod like this right now?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 11:48:21 am »

As far as I am aware, there are no major bug civs out there. Part of that is because currently the graphics are creature and profession dependant, which means that all bug-castes would look the same. (future DF should allow caste-specific sprites. :) )

Another problem are the hardcoded workshops, ants shouldn't really have a kitchen or still or a craftsdwarfant shop, it's not very bug like. But dfhack allows to remove those if necessary.

There is another bug with population growth in world-gen of egg-using civs, same for the fort-mode AI of females: They won't claim nestboxes, and hence won't lay eggs. Which means your bugs would have to give live birth. 

I tried making a bug/zerg like race long ago, but it was difficult convincing the AI to adpot the poor larvae and cocoons I spawned with dfhack. :D And the AI always wanted to clean up the creep/contaminant they spread around. Main issue for me was that they have to play and feel different from other civs, and I couldn't give them enough of an identity without these things, so I abandoned the project.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 12:00:46 pm »

As far as I am aware, there are no major bug civs out there. Part of that is because currently the graphics are creature and profession dependant, which means that all bug-castes would look the same. (future DF should allow caste-specific sprites. :) )

Another problem are the hardcoded workshops, ants shouldn't really have a kitchen or still or a craftsdwarfant shop, it's not very bug like. But dfhack allows to remove those if necessary.

There is another bug with population growth in world-gen of egg-using civs, same for the fort-mode AI of females: They won't claim nestboxes, and hence won't lay eggs. Which means your bugs would have to give live birth. 

I tried making a bug/zerg like race long ago, but it was difficult convincing the AI to adpot the poor larvae and cocoons I spawned with dfhack. :D And the AI always wanted to clean up the creep/contaminant they spread around. Main issue for me was that they have to play and feel different from other civs, and I couldn't give them enough of an identity without these things, so I abandoned the project.
Ant females just can be non-sapient. They will reproduce faster and can be butchered when dead.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 12:11:33 pm »

Male civ-members don't marry non-sapient civ-members.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 12:16:10 pm »

Depends on how "bug"ish of a civ you mean I guess.. Mine has a humanoid grasshopper creature evil civ.
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 12:30:35 pm »

Male civ-members don't marry non-sapient civ-members.
Non-sapient civ members can breed without marry.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 04:18:30 pm »

DerMeister: Non-sapient all female egg-laying civ-members will breed with sapient unmarried male civ-members? Are you absolutely sure?

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 05:07:33 pm »

DerMeister: Non-sapient all female egg-laying civ-members will breed with sapient unmarried male civ-members? Are you absolutely sure?
You can test this.

UristMcVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING][BLOODSUCKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 06:31:49 pm »

You could work around the "eggs don't work" thing by creating a "breeder" caste that is literally just a sac that spits out larvae.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Naga/Lamia race

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 06:46:17 pm »

hm. I may just put this on the back burner. I have a few other ideas and this seems like it will have some complications. thanks for the info

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 03:44:06 am »

Maybe I'll give it another try ☺️

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 05:26:15 am »

Your info may be way out of date, i modded a egg-laying civ at one point and I'm pretty sure the females claimed nestboxes and laid eggs just fine(it was a short-lived test fortress and it was a while ago). There are however other bugs related to egg-laying civs, notably: Laying (possibly only) unfertilized eggs and also eggs being thrown into the food stockpiles, despite being laid by a sentient creature.

What I'd want someone to test however: is it possible to get a sentient creature to lay a fertilized egg?
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 06:33:42 am »

If I have time this weekend, I may try and create an ant like race and will report back on eggs and such

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2019, 02:52:42 am »

Mh... If the do lay eggs, but they are eaten, you could make them inedible, either by making the eggs of a inedible material or by making the civ BONECARN for example.

Or you design a cannibalistic insect race and make it part of their lore, eating their babies/eggs.