Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Refer me an FPS dead fort?  (Read 2369 times)

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
Refer me an FPS dead fort?
« on: June 17, 2019, 03:47:13 pm »

Long story short, I've been asked to benchmark and review a gaming laptop. I don't actually know the model yet and have less than a week to get it done. Easy, right? I have no requirements except for the time limit. Not even a word count.

I figured that including a dwarf fortress benchmark would be a cheeky, outside-the-box metric. But I haven't played in years and fort operation is highly subjective. So does anyone know of a dffd fort they could recommend to see how this bad boy manages?

Also, once I have the review I figure posting it here would probably violate forum reviews on ads and solicitation. But I would PM people on request.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
  • The only person who cares about Tales from Entar
    • View Profile
Re: Refer me an FPS dead fort?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 03:52:23 pm »

I have a 300+ strong Mountainhome on one save that tends to chug a little, especially walking through it in Adventure Mode. I'll dig it out at some point and post it. Having a sizable water reactor is probably helping kill the framerate though.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 04:07:42 pm »

Old succession-fort save. Duplicated RAWs. 1500+ zombies in the caverns. 6 FPS on my laptop.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 04:55:16 pm »

Thanks to both of you, but Superdorf has what I need. I've thrown that save on my current computer and get a similar 5-6 FPS.

The laptop has not yet shipped to me, so it's hanging in limbo there. But I'm ready.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 06:10:06 pm »

Actually interested at the results here, PTW
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 07:24:58 pm »

Failcannon. Lots of items, lots of flowing water... Fair number of FBs... Just make sure you have 0.31.25. Oh, and 7Zip.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 05:37:51 pm »

Archcrystal might have what you want. http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14124

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 10:53:02 am »

Right now it's possible the whole thing is falling through. The provider has simultaneously shipped and not shipped the laptop and the review is due by Sunday, so...?

Will let you know the outcome, one way or another. And I'll benchmark all three of those forts if I actually do get the laptop.

Edit: Heard back from the company. They're aware of the shipping problem and ask for patience.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 12:55:27 pm by Talanic »

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 03:19:15 pm »

Guess what, folks?

It finally arrived. I've put it through its paces and here's the verdict. Note that I only dedicated about ten minutes to each fort, because I just don't have that much time:

Dawnthunder, from Superdorf's, held steady at 11 FPS. Not precisely playable, but things were still happening.

Failcannon, from Paaaad, wound up at 34 FPS as the few remaining dwarves braved a rapidly-flooding fortress and tried to store things in the stockpile. After a little while, another Forgotten Beast showed up. Things were probably going to get ugly.

Archcrystal, from NordicNooob, wobbled between 21 and 30 FPS, but mostly stayed around 25. Dwarves were happily going about their business. Also, that's a lot of clear glass block walls.

Whew. I honestly had thought that it wasn't going to wind up happening. It also runs Witcher 3 on ultra at 60 FPS, but honestly, we're not here to talk about that.

It's a Dell G3 with the i5 processor. I'm writing a full review for posting elsewhere, but I'm not really here to advertise for Dell.

Edit: Turned off the Turbo Boost feature. Some programs run better afterwards, possibly due to less overheating of the system. Dwarf Fortress isn't one of them. A cursory re-test (only a minute or two each) shows Failcannon at 23 FPS, Archcrystal at about 15, and Dawnthunder at 6. Turbo Boost is essential for Dwarf Fortress, apparently, and I intend to leave it off because it increases processor temperature enough that it might shorten the longevity of the computer, and I'm in no position to replace it if it dies.

FURTHER EDIT: Also, apparently Turbo Boost is glitched, because I achieved better benchmarks and frame rates on everything EXCEPT Dwarf Fortress with Turbo Boost OFF.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 01:29:07 pm by Talanic »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2019, 03:26:28 pm »

Phwoo, that's some machine you've got there! Congratulations.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2019, 09:45:15 pm »

I gotta admit, that performance really makes me want to buy whatever kind of laptop that is

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2019, 11:31:29 pm »

Hm, If you still want some, I had to fix FPS in Bloodyhells on my turn. Try this in 42.06, my posts say I was getting 6-7 FPS then on my years old laptop before retire-unretire, but not at what screen size or where (but it was acceptable after, so this is more like a fps drop caused by a bug). (Note that newer DF versions run faster, generally speaking.)

For a higher-fps benchmark, This 34.11 fort gives me 133ish in 81x50 viewscreen and 104ish maximized on 1920x1080 while viewing the surface. Oh and STANDARD/30 G_FPS_CAP.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 11:36:40 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2019, 11:24:28 am »

Phwoo, that's some machine you've got there! Congratulations.

Thanks. Fairly stoked about it. It's the first time that I've owned a computer that's actually designed for gaming, as opposed to one that is just capable of running games. There's quite a difference.

Hm, If you still want some, I had to fix FPS in Bloodyhells on my turn. Try this in 42.06, my posts say I was getting 6-7 FPS then on my years old laptop before retire-unretire, but not at what screen size or where (but it was acceptable after, so this is more like a fps drop caused by a bug). (Note that newer DF versions run faster, generally speaking.)

For a higher-fps benchmark, This 34.11 fort gives me 133ish in 81x50 viewscreen and 104ish maximized on 1920x1080 while viewing the surface. Oh and STANDARD/30 G_FPS_CAP.

Edit: Sorry. Downloaded them, but also decided to disable the system's Turbo Boost feature to protect the processor from excessive loads. That drops frame rate by a significant amount, so I can't really give useful info about the maximum potential quality. Editing the review post to reflect this.

I gotta admit, that performance really makes me want to buy whatever kind of laptop that is

I noted above, it's a Dell G3 - but it's important to note that early G3s were sold with a slower processor. New version just came out with the Intel Core i5.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 01:01:50 pm by Talanic »

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2019, 03:23:15 pm »

I have a fort with 1000 dwarves (716 of which are children) that I can run at 5 FPS, if you're still interested.

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2019, 11:51:34 am »

Archcrystal, from NordicNooob, wobbled between 21 and 30 FPS, but mostly stayed around 25. Dwarves were happily going about their business. Also, that's a lot of clear glass block walls.

If you want a real test of your machines capability, retire that fortress and then try to get an adventurer inside of it.