Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sanguine, a "vampire" mod  (Read 1159 times)

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
sanguine, a "vampire" mod
« on: June 19, 2019, 06:53:20 am »

I am thinking about creating a "vampire" mod (to mess around with some spells I have lying around). The mod would add a new race and civ (called the sanguine) that have blood magic and can transform into wolves. They would have all of the traits of DF vampires, but can breed, are weak to silver and look similiar to humans (but hairless and gray like nosferatu). I am thinking of claiming this race as the original "vampire" race and giving them a syndrome inject bite attack that gives the DF vampire syndrome to the other races.  thoughts? any ideas or recommendations?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 06:57:10 am by brolol.404 »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: sanguine, a "vampire" mod
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 03:13:44 pm »

Interesting I have in the works my own vampires, but they're more like Sirus in the Jeager mixed with Van Helsing levels of Vampirism.

But anyways suggestions and "ideas" on how to implement some of your features:

giving them a syndrome inject bite attack that gives the DF vampire syndrome to the other races.
I'd say not a bite attack, but a friendly greeting interaction to non-vampire/infected humanoids, Because "I" (personal opinion) believe vampires would thing they are above mortals and you'd have to be on good terms with them, for them even to considering biting and sharing the vampire curse(blessing) which means that these vampires can consciously spread the condition other than having someone drink their blood.

This means those that decide to migrated/petition to live with them and being granted the liberty to be their thralls/slaves for all eternity with them

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 03:41:35 pm »

It all depends on your interpretation of vampires, there are so many variations in folklore, literature, and media, you are spoiled for choice!

If you are going full-on civilization level with vampires, I suggest using castes. The primary issue of vampires is one of nature: they are predatory, and predators can not outnumber prey, or at least the capacity for prey to provide nourishment. A civilization with vampiric overlords overseeing their blood chattel seems realistic, or at least marginally more so (for fantasy).

In using a caste system, you could have differing "species" of vampires as well, similar to how the pen-and-paper RPG vampire the masquerade has different vampire clans that each embody a different vampire trope (more or less).

You could use syndrome_class to determine what kind of vampirism each caste type receives or inflicts (i think).

Then in those same lines, As Hugo_The_Dwarf suggests, using an initiated interaction (other than bite or blood consumption) would better simulate the selection of simple mortal slaves to be uplifted into the superior vampire ruling classes.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 04:52:49 pm »

Thanks for the ideas!

I do like the idea of giving the curse in a greeting usage hint, but if I do, anytime a "friendly" caravan or visitor arrives at a non sanguine fort, I am not sure if they will start converting everyone (while avoiding traps etc). Actually, is the greeting usage hint used at all in fort mode?

I also like the idea of the caste system, but something to keep in mind is that all of the castes will be able to breed and will randomly spit out different caste offspring. What castes/species/tropes did you have in mind? What noble positions?

I could also make non intelligent human species as pets or with a creature class to be used as slaves/prey/food. Thoughts?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 10:33:34 am »

I would not use a greeting interaction, but a workshop reaction, to convert people. As it stands now, I have a thrall wizard secret that has a greeting interaction and when one migrates to your fort soon enough there are dozens of thralls running around; theyll even target animals if the interaction allows it. Or enemies

Having non-vampire castes will seem weird, but you can totally squeeze in more vampire castes. In fact, you could have a rare "Lord" caste that is the sole permitted nominee for higher noble positions and the only one with a conversion interaction. Preferably one with a really long wait timer or special conditions to control it's use.

But using pets is a great idea. If they're slow_learners they will need to sleep, which gives your vampires the opportunity to drink their blood. It can result in other weird behavior like them showing up with some labors enabled, which you won't be able to disable, though.

But every time one of them dies it will be considered a murder by your crime and justice system.
If they're really big, like trolls or ogres or something, they are less likely to die from feedings.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 10:42:16 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 01:42:23 pm »

Pets with fishing labor do go fishing, so maybe set their learn rate for that to 0. Especially if they have no grasp bodyparts, they will spam announcements about cancelling fishing all the time. 😆
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::