Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Masks: a New Generation; Twilight Force OOC Thread.  (Read 25554 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Masks: a New Generation; Twilight Force OOC Thread.
« on: June 19, 2019, 02:31:47 pm »

Masks is pretty much the Teen Titans RPG.
The IC thread for Twilight Force.

This is my first time GMing, PbP or not, so please tell me if I am doing anything wrong/could do it better.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 04:44:34 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Masks: the Next Generation; Insert Campaign Name Here! OOC Thread.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 02:43:18 pm »

Interested. Will probably go for a Doomed heroine. Anything we should know about the world and general idea, or is that something that'll be defined/revealed as we go along?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: Masks: the Next Generation; Insert Campaign Name Here! OOC Thread.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 03:05:39 pm »

"The game takes place in a bustling metropolis known as Halcyon City, which has been an epicenter of superpowered activity for three generations so far. There was the Golden Age, the Silver Age, the Bronze Age...
...but now, a new generation of heroes is on the rise."

That's pretty much it so far. There is more lore in the books, but I haven't really looked carefully at it.
Halycon City is a typical superhero city, an epicenter of supers and super-related weirdness (molemen, aliens, alternate dimensions, Etc.).
I plan to wait until you have made characters for most of the worldbuilding, so I don't constrain your characters, and can make certain things fit them.
Want your Beacon to have looked up to a Cryomancer hero named Brainfreeze in his youth? Sure, Brainfreeze exists now.
Was your Doomed raised by an apocalyptic cult? Yup, they exist.
Does your Janus have to take care of his younger siblings because his father was paralyzed during a molemen attack? Okay, molemen have attacked before.
Is your best friend a foreign exchange student from an alternate earth where everyone is the opposite gender? Sure, now there's an easy way to get to that specific earth.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 03:07:23 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Masks: a New Generation; Insert Campaign Name Here! OOC Thread.
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 03:26:22 pm »

Eyyy.

I'm probably gonna pop out a Transformed. I have an idea for a dullahan sort of thing.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 03:57:00 pm »

I said it in the other thread, but I've already got a delinquent character in mind. I'll write that up properly when I have time later today, and maybe we could start thinking about session zero stuff right away, since with PbP I reckon the time that takes is longer than the time it takes us to reach the majority of our interest player population anyway?

There can be only one example of each playbook in one campaign
Are you sure? Based on my reading*, it's only the case that there can only be one at a time - so retiring a character or using the advance to switch playbooks would open up your old playbook to new characters or a playbook switch. It's relevant to me since I was thinking it might make sense for my character to eventually become Doomed - though of course that's contingent on the game going on long enough without other play circumstances changing those plans, and I'm in no hurry anyway.

EDIT: Also just wanted to point out to everyone that there are five additional playbooks in the Halcyon City Herald Collection, which I would imagine are allowed, and three test playbooks in Masks Unbound which I reckon (as they're test playbooks) should be allowed on a case by case basis.

*The description of the Change Playbooks advance says to pick a playbook that no other player is currently using. (Emphasis mine)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 04:19:05 pm by Cruxador »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 04:18:04 pm »

Somewhat interested. I'll have to find some sort of rule summary somewhere though, the playbooks seem to gloss over a great deal of actual mechanics.

I like the look of the Delinquent and the Outsider, so I'll probably work something up along those lines.

Fakeedit: Outsider it is, then.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 04:27:33 pm »

I said it in the other thread, but I've already got a delinquent character in mind. I'll write that up properly when I have time later today, and maybe we could start thinking about session zero stuff right away, since with PbP I reckon the time that takes is longer than the time it takes us to reach the majority of our interest player population anyway?
Considering that we already have enough players, yes.
We should still wait until characters are more fleshed out for the When our team first came together, Relationships, and Influence sections, though.

There can be only one example of each playbook in one campaign
Are you sure? Based on my reading*, it's only the case that there can only be one at a time - so retiring a character or using the advance to switch playbooks would open up your old playbook to new characters or a playbook switch. It's relevant to me since I was thinking it might make sense for my character to eventually become Doomed - though of course that's contingent on the game going on long enough without other play circumstances changing those plans, and I'm in no hurry anyway.

*The description of the Change Playbooks advance says to pick a playbook that no other player is currently using. (Emphasis mine)
Maybe I was just thinking of other PBtA games. The others make it so that when a playbook dies, no one can become them, the hole is always felt. That's only really relevant with this system with the Doomed, but I don't know. Does anyone have any opinions on this? Maybe if they die, no one can become them,  but if you just change your playbook someone can become that one? Or just let people change into a playbook not currently used.

Somewhat interested. I'll have to find some sort of rule summary somewhere though, the playbooks seem to gloss over a great deal of actual mechanics.

I like the look of the Delinquent and the Outsider, so I'll probably work something up along those lines.

Fakeedit: Outsider it is, then.
Did you look at the basic moves pdf? That includes much of the rules. If that does not explain it enough, I will try to myself.

Oh, and Digital Hellhound, there's also the government agency A.E.G.I.S, the Advanced Expert Group for Intervention and Security.
 They are kind of like a combination police/CIA that focus on the weird stuff and supers.

Concerning the End of Session moves, should those take place at the end of arcs, or where?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 04:41:51 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 04:55:09 pm »

If you pick the Beacon, don't take the Phasing ability. I don't know what they were thinking. The Beacon is all about being relatively weak, but wanting to do good regardless. Phasing is way too powerful for this purpose.

I think it's because Kitty Pryde/Shadowcat had to a similar role in the X-Men for a very long time.

Also posting to follow.
Love, scriver~

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 05:17:39 pm »

EDIT: Also just wanted to point out to everyone that there are five additional playbooks in the Halcyon City Herald Collection, which I would imagine are allowed, and three test playbooks in Masks Unbound which I reckon (as they're test playbooks) should be allowed on a case by case basis.
Don't forget the two from Agents of Aegis.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 05:19:41 pm »

Amelia Grace Dala,
aka Nahullad

Spoiler: Amy Dala, Transformed (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Further Questions (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 02:59:11 pm by GiglameshDespair »
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 06:03:19 pm »

I'll have to find some sort of rule summary somewhere though, the playbooks seem to gloss over a great deal of actual mechanics.
If you find any for PbtA, the concepts mostly transfer, although sometimes the names change. Basically: The mechanic is 2d6+stat (and in this case, your labels are your stats) and the conditions are your health track, but death is something that only happens for narrative reasons. Time is normally freeform, and so are a lot of actions, but moves represent those where there's a reasonable chance you'll fail. The basic moves are more or less just "use this stat modifier for this kind of action" and the rest are extra - adult moves are available to adults, playbook moves are available as described in the playbook, and peripheral moves are a grab bag of things that happen which have mechanical aspects to them but don't fit the other categories. Influence is a binary relationship thingy that some moves use and some moves grant, that represents caring what a person thinks. Carrying 1 (or a +1) forward means add 1 to your next roll (or next roll that fits the conditions listed when you got that +1). That's pretty much the whole system off the top of my head, it's mostly freeform+ rather than something heavily mechanical. But feel free to ask specific questions, and if you're wanting PDFs, you can send me a PM.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and there's also Team. That's a pool of points that you can spend to give another character a +1 on a roll, or to shift your labels, moving one up and another down - which you can do after seeing the results of a roll if you want. You get more of them mostly by getting in fights while having a highly cohesive team, from zero to four points on any such fight depending on four criteria that the GM evaluates.

Don't forget the two from Agents of Aegis.
I didn't forget, I didn't know about them. Looking at them now, they're very foundational concepts that maybe even should have been considered in the core list. Also, for anyone searching, it's called Secrets of AEGIS at my source.

Maybe I was just thinking of other PBtA games. The others make it so that when a playbook dies, no one can become them, the hole is always felt. That's only really relevant with this system with the Doomed, but I don't know. Does anyone have any opinions on this? Maybe if they die, no one can become them,  but if you just change your playbook someone can become that one? Or just let people change into a playbook not currently used.
That kind of dismal situation is appropriate to something like Apocalypse World, but it doesn't fit the tone of a cape campaign - at least, not the kind that's listed as inspirations for this game. And unlike, say, Monsterhearts, there's a lot of difference in what a given playbook can give you. Look at the listed examples for the different playbooks in the core book, for reference - Tim Drake is a very different character from Scott Summers, and they're both listed as Protégé, which means that the game design reason for a hard rule like that - preventing characters that are functionally clones of each other - isn't very necessary. Hell, if you put that together with the question of genre, you can even consider that there are four well known robins (plus one very brief one) that are all considered sufficiently distinct characters despite having the same playbook, the same name and superhero identity, and the same main powers with only their personalities and the emphasis of their powers being particularly different.

Oh, and Digital Hellhound, there's also the government agency A.E.G.I.S, the Advanced Expert Group for Intervention and Security.
 They are kind of like a combination police/CIA that focus on the weird stuff and supers.
Also like the police and CIA, not necessarily good dudes whose side you'll always be on.

Concerning the End of Session moves, should those take place at the end of arcs, or where?
I'd say model it on an episode. Whenever we get a big resolution on an issue that gives us a dramatic denouement moment, the episode is over so we do End of Session. An arc is often too long to be comparable.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 01:14:23 am by Cruxador »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 07:49:48 pm »

Sam Walters, aka
SEPIATONE

Spoiler: History and Powers (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 09:08:51 pm by Cruxador »

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 10:26:36 pm »

Cool character. His savior should be -1, though.
Labels at the end of character creation should add up to 3.

Has Sam ever accidently broken something or hurt someone due to his power negation?

Does the overlay stay in place, or move with him?

It sounds like he creates a sepia overlay, that then itself drains the area of even mundane powers.
Does this overlay require concentration to stay, fade with time, or stay forever as a blight upon the land?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 11:28:58 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2019, 01:04:35 am »

Cool character. His savior should be -1, though.
Labels at the end of character creation should add up to 3.
Thanks for catching that, I think I must have just looked at the wrong line when transcribing labels.
Has Sam ever accidently broken something or hurt someone due to his power negation?
I'm thinking maybe not. His powers only weaken rather than damage, so it's difficult to imagine this scenario, and even weakening something at an inopportune time is a bit out there since his powers are difficult to use in the first place and making them too unbound would kind of be edging into the Nova's wheelhouse. But mostly, I haven't thought of a good little story along these lines.

I guess I'm actually kind of taking a liberty by making it able to weaken things and facilitate entropy/decay in a general sense, since "power negation" is presumably just meant to be about super powers - I think it's fine since although that increases his ability's versatility, every other change I've made to his power weakens them substantially in ease of use (and, for the illusions, in versatility) in ways that can be molded to the needs of the narrative. But it's still subject to GM thumbs up/down.
Does the overlay stay in place, or move with him?
It stays in place. He can make and spread or intensify it, and can use it for the illusions, but it's not connected to him and he has no real control over it.
It sounds like he creates a sepia overlay, that then itself drains the area of even mundane powers.
Exactly.
Does this overlay require concentration to stay, fade with time, or stay forever as a blight upon the land?
It fades away over time, and everything that it drained returns. Like the creation of the overlay zone and the draining of the powers, all this takes time. Different amounts of time though, creating it is slow at the scale of time that combat happens on, and probably requires unleashing to achieve meaningful results fast enough, but for it to fade should at least be until the end of the scene. Making permanent zones like this would be more the sort of ability to become available during play than during character creation, in part simply because it's a qualitative powerup that makes sense in the context of his original powers, and in part because that's an ability which substantially alters the world, and I reckon gaining the ability to meaningfully affect the world is a big part of the transition from childhood to adulthood that is included in the theming of this game.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 01:14:56 am by Cruxador »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2019, 09:41:17 am »

Spoiler: Vestige/Elena Rosales (click to show/hide)

Still some things to fill in. If anyone makes a tinkerer or super-scientist type of character, they could be the one who built Vestige's makeshift suit. If not, it'll have to be someone outside the team. May alter the Nemesis, since the playbook calls for an epic villain and this might not quite qualify. Some kind of alien psychic entity manipulating Reyes and his ilk, perhaps.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 06:42:27 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10