Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Masks: a New Generation; Twilight Force OOC Thread.  (Read 25523 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: Masks: a New Generation; Insert Campaign Name Here! OOC Thread.
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2019, 02:06:08 pm »

Don't doomed have up to three abilities, not two? Did you want just two?

The nemesis is fine. Any number of things could happen that could make it more epic, or you could be missing part of his story. Is his part of the story all true stuff your character knows?

However, you still need to deal with the Sanctuary.
Also of the backstory questions: You don't have answer them one at a time like Sepiatone, but you do have to answer them by end of character creation.
• When did you first learn of your doom? I think good enough.
• Where did you get your sanctuary? Not answered.
• Why do you oppose your nemesis? I think its good enough.
• Who, outside of the team, is crucial to defeating your nemesis? You have not said. However, I think this is likely the person who first made your armor.
• Why does the team matter to you?  Also not answered.

Just to clarify, if she uses her powers without her suit, her psychic memory weapons go berserk?
Why and how is the suit painful?

How many people know Elena has powers/is Vestige?

What conditions (not the game mechanic.) does Vestige need, at least at the start of the game, in order to read/manipulate memories? About what range? Does it require line of sight? Can she manipulate multiple people's memory at the same time, one at a time, or manipulating another's removes all earlier manipulations? Is it obvious she is reading/manipulating, from glowing, smoke, whatever?

Though up some possible names for the team. The Renegades; Twilight Force; Team Nocturn. Or we could just have you still unnamed at the start of the story.

Also, some specific questions I'd like everyone to answer by end of character creation.
What family does your character have?
Do you go to school?
Do you have a secret identity?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 03:00:27 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2019, 07:27:27 pm »

Still here, still interested.

Just...busy days at work. I should have something worked up by tomorrow.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2019, 03:54:52 am »

EDIT: Refined the backstory a little. Haven't answered the remaining questions yet, but I need to go now. Will come back to it later.
EDIT2: Added shared and mentor abilities, still need to decide on my own unique ability. Added labels, conditions, influence, mentor resources and moves. I'm getting closer to being finished.
EDIT3: Added relationships, gave the contrivium a name. All that's left is to explain my unique powers in the backstory and make a Q&A summary for Pikachu

EDIT4: Sheet is done now I think. I still haven't decided on detective skills or psychic powers. I'm going to write a second backstory and power description for psychic powers and then ask you guys for advice.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 11:18:08 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2019, 06:38:23 am »

Don't doomed have up to three abilities, not two? Did you want just two?

I didn't want Telekinesis and didn't feel the others fit the character. It says 'up to three', so I went with just the two.

The nemesis is fine. Any number of things could happen that could make it more epic, or you could be missing part of his story. Is his part of the story all true stuff your character knows?

She knows the stuff in there - the good doctor was good enough to rant about his goals while experimenting on her, and AEGIS filled in the rest after she escaped (though it took her a long while to accept there was a difference between PHALANX and regular AEGIS). I'm going to think about what else might be going on in the background that Elena doesn't know about.

However, you still need to deal with the Sanctuary.
Also of the backstory questions: You don't have answer them one at a time like Sepiatone, but you do have to answer them by end of character creation.
• When did you first learn of your doom? I think good enough.
• Where did you get your sanctuary? Not answered.
• Why do you oppose your nemesis? I think its good enough.
• Who, outside of the team, is crucial to defeating your nemesis? You have not said. However, I think this is likely the person who first made your armor.
• Why does the team matter to you?  Also not answered.

Could the sanctuary be the team's base of operations, or part of it? I'm imagining the attic of our building given over to Elena as a private safe space of sorts. For bonus points, our base would become a haunted house every time she has a bad dream and accidentally draws on her powers and the like. Fun!

The crucial person could be the self-taught tinkerer who built the armor or it could be another of Doctor Reyes' test subjects. Elena wants to learn how to trust and work together with others, so it would be fitting if Reyes' downfall required the support of one of her 'siblings' too. Perhaps someone who defected/defects from serving PHALANX after meeting her? I'll think on it.

I did kinda answer the last question, but I'll expand on it - the team are people who she feels might accept her and understand her, who she could come to trust and befriend, even love. Since they're all wannabe superheroes like her, there's less chance that she'll hurt them if her powers go haywire. She feels that with them she could actually try this superhero gig without just being a danger to everyone she tries to help. They're a chance at a new beginning, essentially. She dares hope that she could really make a difference with them, perhaps even take down PHALANX and stop them from hurting others like they've hurt her.

Just to clarify, if she uses her powers without her suit, her psychic memory weapons go berserk?
Why and how is the suit painful?

How many people know Elena has powers/is Vestige?

They don't necessarily go berzerk, but it's much more likely and the consequences are worse than in the suit. She can still draw on her powers without the suit if she's careful. It's when she has a strong emotional reaction - usually anger - that it becomes a problem. She'll accidentally summon more and more while twisting them into more dangerous forms that act outside of her control. They don't necessarily go on a rampage, but they become steadily more hostile and aggressive the worse her mental state gets. For memory-people, they start being more violent and brutal while still under her command, then move on to scaring and attacking even neutral bystanders, then go after even her allies and friends. For objects, they become more dangerous to use - having edges that cut the user, causing additional collateral damage, looking, er, evil-ler, so forth. If her powers are not being drained, this can blow up into potentially hundreds of ghosts showing up to cause uncontrolled destruction with her helpless to stop it... which isn't supposed to be a power I can use, but rather what her Doom is likely to be. If I do end up filling my doom track and perishing, it'll be a lovely little disaster for the rest of the team to stop!

It's not totally safe within the suit either, mind. The suit doesn't stop her creations from becoming more dangerous and aggressive, but it does limit how much she can summon at a time. It also makes it easier for her to unsummon them, if things seem to be getting out of hand. I imagine a powerful enough emotional reaction could overload the suit's anti-psionics too, for maximum Fun!...

The suit bombards her with anti-psionic waves to suppress her powers. This gives her a hell of a headache that gets worse the more they have to suppress, which usually doesn't make her feel any better emotionally. They also heat up while they're active, making for a very uncomfortable and sometimes life-threatening temperature inside. Most of it is psychological, though - she hates feeling enclosed, feeling like she can't breathe, feeling like she'll cook alive inside the thing.

AEGIS, PHALANX and her parents know that Elena Rosales has powers. They don't necessarily know that Elena Rosales is Vestige, though. I'm imagining that the team is Elena's first public appearance as a superhero. Once word gets out about this new hero called Vestige, PHALANX and others are no doubt going to put two and two together and figure out that Vestige is Elena. That said, Elena has been living 'off the grid' and outside the system for years, so it's not like knowing her name helps much in finding where she lives or anything. Elena's tinkerer friend and some people she knows from the streets also know of her powers.

What conditions (not the game mechanic.) does Vestige need, at least at the start of the game, in order to read/manipulate memories? About what range? Does it require line of sight? Can she manipulate multiple people's memory at the same time, one at a time, or manipulating another's removes all earlier manipulations? Is it obvious she is reading/manipulating, from glowing, smoke, whatever?

Vestige doesn't need line of sight to use her memory manipulation, but she generally has to know the person is there. The range is limited to... I'd say twenty metres or so? Whatever you think is reasonable, becoming harder the further away she is. Memory manipulation also takes time, especially if she's trying to be subtle. Just grabbing the first memory she can find and projecting it as a psychic ghost doesn't take more than a few moments but things like altering or removing a memory does. She can only manipulate one person's memory at a time, though she can keep projecting a psychic construct even if she doesn't have access to the person she took it from anymore. There's no obvious tell that she's reading or manipulating memories - if she takes the time to go deep on a manipulation, she can do some terrifying damage without her target even realizing. She's much more likely to call up a few psychic ghosts and just clobber them, though.

You didn't ask, but Vestige can maintain about 1-3 psychic projections at a time. The more she calls up, the less defined and 'deep' they are. One projection could be detailed enough to torment an opponent with associated childhood trauma, three are just going to be near-mute wraiths that rush them. They're generally about as strong as a person, though she can replicate various superpowers to an extent if she projects a memory of a superhero or such (flight, teleportation, senses, the like - not necessarily instakill death lasers).

This is with her suit and when she's being careful - without it, her powers kick up way high... but she also loses control over them, so it's not exactly a good thing.

Though up some possible names for the team. The Renegades; Twilight Force; Team Nocturn. Or we could just have you still unnamed at the start of the story.

Also, some specific questions I'd like everyone to answer by end of character creation.
What family does your character have?
Do you go to school?
Do you have a secret identity?

I like all of those team names, particularly 'the Renegades'. I think we'll need to wait until we see what kind of team we have and if we have any unifying theme, though.

I'll write up these things and what I've answered above into the application. In short: parents, large extended family that she avoids, not going to school and rather 'book dumb' as a result, has a weak secret identity but her real identity's not all that public either.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2019, 11:29:42 am »

Partial sheet. Just wanted Pikachu to know that I've been working on it. It's very unrefined, but I need to go to sleep now. I'll finish the rest tomorrow.
The last two questions are not yet answered.
"Why do you care about the team?" can be answered after the sheets are done, though.

EDIT:Also, are you sure John doesn't embody Savior? Don Quixote might not be especially good at it, but he still tries to be a knight in shining armor. At least I think so, never did read that book.

A  PROTÉGÉ has one ability different from their mentor. Is yours inherited from whoever your mother is?

Did your father ever fight a villain with the ability to turn into a windmill?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 04:06:14 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2019, 04:24:44 pm »

Oh, and Digital Hellhound, maybe she's not capable of it now, but she could later learn to transmute her body into someone's appearance in a memory later?

Also, I think Infinite Powers is just a bit weak as it is now. Does anyone disagree, otherwise I say that the new ability lasts for the rest of the scene instead of just working once.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2019, 06:30:39 pm »

Partial sheet. Just wanted Pikachu to know that I've been working on it. It's very unrefined, but I need to go to sleep now. I'll finish the rest tomorrow.
The last two questions are not yet answered.
"Why do you care about the team?" can be answered after the sheets are done, though.

EDIT:Also, are you sure John doesn't embody Savior? Don Quixote might not be especially good at it, but he still tries to be a knight in shining armor. At least I think so, never did read that book.

A  PROTÉGÉ has one ability different from their mentor. Is yours inherited from whoever your mother is?

Did your father ever fight a villain with the ability to turn into a windmill?

In hindsight saviour does make sense. Label’s are about your self-perception after all rather than your actual ability. My original concept for the character had him be a terrible fighter, but a psychic (I was thinking inherited from mother too). So essentially there would be this contrast between the badass normal and the real super. As I’ve been writing this so far though, it seems like he’s more of the detective type. Ultimately, it’s still a work in progress.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2019, 09:34:26 pm »

Concerning whether Vestige's sanctuary is the team base, I would think it would make most sense that if Sir Samel the 2nd chooses a hidden base as one of his resources, that's the team base, and if not Sir Samuel the first will install any resources in your sanctuary and that's the team base.
However, I think this is important enough that everyone should vote on it.

What is the team's home base?
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2019, 10:02:00 pm »

I was already going to provide a lair so I’m okay with this.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2019, 12:03:25 am »

Regarding the team HQ: My understanding is that sanctuaries are very much individual things, and potentially supernatural and not just an ordinary building, so not well suited to a team base. Being attached to or accessible from the team's base makes more sense. On the other hand, Don Quixote only stays in his home before going insane and after giving up his delusions, so it's an odd fit too.

Regarding Vestige, I wonder if it would make sense that she could benefit from Sepiatone's power negation. It might not be practical (or, indeed, narratively appropriate for a PC in a supers game) to have the powers always nullified, but it could allow her some respite while sleeping at least.

Regarding Sancho, it surprised me that his father never named his mother to him; seems like he would have called her Dulcinea. It also seems like a character concept that would work okay without a super name, but I'm not 100% clear on the relationship his hero identity has to his father's mythos.

At this moment, Nahullad's backstory seems to have everything but the most interesting part (what actually happened?), so I look forward to the completion of that, and Sirus' character too.

I don't know about the group name, that seems like the kind of thing that would be fun to come up with in play, though that doesn't necessarily preclude determining it out of character first. It seems like the team is pretty dark all around, so a name that reflects that makes sense; I like Renegades since it conveys a kind of a feeling and intent (like Avengers or Justice League) rather than describing specific areas of affinity like the other two. The downside of that name is that being renegade does imply a particular relationship with law and order that doesn't fit the whole team equally, and which could change over time. I don't have a better name to suggest, though.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2019, 01:46:00 am »

So, how about this.
Sir Samuel the second was given a secret base by his dad. Details should be thought up.
And then the attic of that place is Vestige's sanctuary, just happening to have rhe sanctuary features in it.
EDIT:Actually, unless you can figure out how the downsides would manifest in an attic, probably not.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 11:58:02 am by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2019, 12:29:34 pm »

From what I'm reading in the playbook, the sanctuary seems like some place that is completely separate from the HQ. It seems to be remote and distant.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2019, 12:36:42 pm »

A fortress of sorts, where you can have solitude.

It would be fitting if Vestige had her sanctuary in her head, I think. Like, in her head, but because she can manifest things, it isn't in her head. A sort of Happy Place, except instead of going to her Happy Place Vestige makes the Happy Place come to her.

Maybe then she could have it anywhere if she is given enough time and space to summon it. So if you wanted, the part of the base that is hers might just be a large empty room for her to "meditate" in.
Love, scriver~

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2019, 01:44:00 pm »

I have changed my Original Post a bit.

Also, concerning the questions I have asked you about your characters, please put it somewhere on your character post. You don't need to integrate it with the rest of your backstory and stuff, you could just put the stuff in a spoiler at the end of the post, but I'd like to have the stuff about your character in one post.

And sorry I completely forgot to ask any Session Zero stuff that didn't have to do with character creation.
Are there any house rules any of you want? I am for the moment just going with base stuff, an Infinite Powers buff, and allowing the extra playbooks.
What kind of campaign do you want this to be? With the backstories already and the Doomed its probably going to be some level of dark, but what kind?
Do you particularly want anything in the setting, other than things already in your backstory?
Any other Session Zero stuff I can't think of that we should touch on?

« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 01:54:25 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2019, 06:52:49 pm »

I know you said you had enough players, but you know. I'm just posting this anyway. Just in case. You never know. I'm not trying to take Sirus' place though, I want to be clear on that.

If you were to accept me anyway, I have some additional questions and stuff I want clarification on. I also want to write out a description, but I've been writing overly long anyway, so the default playbook choices will have to do. Being the Beacon, he doesn't look particularly unusual in any way anyway. Very average dude, aside from being in good shape.

Simon Yount, the Beacon:

Spoiler: Base Info (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: To Do (click to show/hide)
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10