Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Masks: a New Generation; Twilight Force OOC Thread.  (Read 25547 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: Masks: a New Generation; Insert Campaign Name Here! OOC Thread.
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2019, 07:25:55 pm »

That is an awesome character.
But I am a first-time GM, and to be honest, having five people is probably already pushing my capabilities.
But if Sirus or somebody else turns not to be able to play, I'll be sure to tag you in.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 07:29:07 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2019, 07:37:39 pm »

mother was... well, Amy had never really been wanted. Her mother was always coolly distant, preferring to leave Amy's raising to the school system, her meals to the local supermarket's microwave meal brands, and her
This part seems to be missing. I assume the part where you get your powers you are just improving.

Edit:For some reason I am accidently double posting a lot now.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 09:50:23 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2019, 08:22:58 pm »

Agh, so many new questions being added and here I am just trying to make the basics.

Spoiler: Incoming Outsider (click to show/hide)

I'll work on those other questions later. Right now I just want to get this in and see if it's at all feasible.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 08:43:30 pm by Sirus »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2019, 09:23:23 pm »

Oh, and Digital Hellhound, maybe she's not capable of it now, but she could later learn to transmute her body into someone's appearance in a memory later?

I rather like that. Let's say that's something she could figure out down the line.

A fortress of sorts, where you can have solitude.

It would be fitting if Vestige had her sanctuary in her head, I think. Like, in her head, but because she can manifest things, it isn't in her head. A sort of Happy Place, except instead of going to her Happy Place Vestige makes the Happy Place come to her.

Maybe then she could have it anywhere if she is given enough time and space to summon it. So if you wanted, the part of the base that is hers might just be a large empty room for her to "meditate" in.

That's a great idea. It could be something like her childhood room summoned into being inside the empty attic or such. Given how it's supposed to be a private place, the rest of the team might not even know that she's doing it? If the sanctuary needs to be away from the base, I suppose she could also be doing it elsewhere in a quiet place.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2019, 09:58:12 pm »

Just so long as the sanctuary has features and downsides that make sense, I don't care too much what it is.
However only 'a meditation space' goes out too me as a feature that would make sense.
And likewisey 'difficult to acess'(very long meditation) 'Draws dangerous attention' and 'tied to your doom'  go out to me as downsides that make sense.

Sirus, why did you think Toba might not be viable?
Outsiders get three moves, by the way.

There is a "why do your people want you come home?" question, which I can't really think why in this imstance.

While you don't have say who now, I will need to know what romance meana for a genderless being.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 10:15:45 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2019, 10:20:46 pm »

Just so long as the sanctuary has features and downsides that make sense, I don't care too much what it is.
However only 'a meditation space' goes out too me as a feature that would make sense.
And likewisey 'difficult to acess'(very long meditation) 'Draws dangerous attention' and 'tied to your doom'  go out to me as downsides that make sense.

I went with aides, music, food and art, and meditation space for features, difficult to access and tied to doom as drawbacks.

I'm thinking of having my 'You'd love to kiss ______ before your doom comes' be Sepiatone, since his power nullification no doubt appeals and provides an interesting dynamic. Not sure about 'You told ______ all about your doom and the danger you're in' - does anyone feel like their character would make particular sense for it?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2019, 10:31:22 pm »

Whoops, I thought they only got two. I'll add one real quick.

I thought I made the reason to come home clear, but basically after X years on Earth Toba will be expected to go home and share everything they've experienced. It's not an immediate issue (not like a Doomed character's problems), but it will come up eventually. This is a somewhat more permanent departure than simply checking in every so often.

As for romance, it's really no more different than stories about AIs or monogendered species falling in love with humans. Besides, it's a crush and not necessarily mutual attraction. Some people aren't into blobs and Toba's target may well not reciprocate :P

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2019, 11:14:08 pm »

Hey, so I think I finished my sheet. There's only one problem left and that is deciding whether I'll have detective skills or telekinesis. The old sheet is currently detective skills, but I have made another sheet for telekinesis that I'm posting here. The only part that's changed is the backstory where Sancho talks about himself and the ability description. And the labels.

Essentially I have two concerns about giving Sancho Psychic powers. The first one is that I'm afraid it might make him too strong and overshadow the others. The suit of armour is already pretty impressive. The second one is that I feel like psychic Sancho is thematically different from detective Sancho. Detective Sancho is someone who could plausibly learn to embrace his heritage and learn to follow in his father's footsteps. Psychic Sancho is definitely only going to be pushed further and further away from him. If things do turn out well for him, he's going to be a completely different person.

There are definitely upsides to psychic Sancho though. The inevitable discover-the-identity-of-his-mother arc is definitely going to be more interesting for obvious reasons, and he has more tools to work with as far as fighting is concerned. It also gives him something in common with Vestige.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: As for the session zero stuff, run the game that makes the most sense for your vision of these characters. I'm sure we'll go along with whatever you choose to do. Session zero is more important in a game like DnD where the world, setting and conflict, can be vastly different depending on what the GM chooses. It also meant to prevent people from creating characters who are completely incompatible with each other. Here the setting is always Halcyon city, and it's always superheros vs supervillains. Characters haven't been a problem so far.

EDIT2: Rewrote the description of the telekinesis according to Pikachu's suggestion. It's less creepy though which I don't like.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 08:42:53 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2019, 01:26:27 pm »

You think telekinesis would be too strong? In that case you could make a weaker version, it could be tactile telekinesis, so you can only move thinga that are touching you. Or it could be limited to you own strength, so it is basically just a bit more range to your actions.

I think telekinetic protege would probably push away from his father in favor of his mother.
However in either case it could go either way.
Detective Samuel could decide to leave his crazy father, and Psychic Samuel can decide to follow in his father's footsteps.

Please, everybody submit any team names you can think of. I'll put them into a poll.

Concerning "When our team first came together", only the Bull specifies that you defeated a dangerous enemy, so what y'all have defeated instead?

After all the characters have finiahed everything except Relationships, Influence and WOTFCT you are supposed to answer the WOTFCT questionin the order of Outsider, Delinquent, Doomed, Transformed, Protege. However that might not work well in PbP. What do you guya think?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 06:54:56 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2019, 01:32:55 pm »

That is an awesome character.
But I am a first-time GM, and to be honest, having five people is probably already pushing my capabilities.
But if Sirus or somebody else turns not to be able to play, I'll be sure to tag you in.

I understand. I hope you'll have a great game anyway ;)
Love, scriver~

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2019, 07:11:33 pm »

Also, Sirus, is that third move supposed to be outside the spoiler?

Is this Toba's first research mission, or xe already been on multiple such missions?

What is Toba's relationship with Dr. Edgar Hinks? I would imagine they have a somewhat nice relationship, though probably no one has informed Toba that Hinks saved xer life.
What is Toba's relationship with the rest of Hink's team?

To reiterate a question, how do Toba's kind reproduce, if it is comprehensible to humans at all?

And it occurs to me that Nahullad is headless, and thanks to Sir Samuel the First, going to ride on a horse.
Probably unintentional headless horsewoman for the win!

GiglimeshDespair, are you sure that you want Nahullad to be your hero name?
Nothing like Headcase, Head Case, Cockroach(because of their being insects that supposedly can survive without a head.), or Mannequin?

How much do you former friends and family fear you now? Do they refuse to believe you were ever Amy? Do they think you are some kind of devil possessing her mutated corpse?

===
Also, some terminology for the world of superheroes that I've snagged from Worm, because dark as it is, they have some cools words for super-related things.
Rogue: Someone with powers that uses them for neither evil nor good.
Endbringer: An S class or up villain, especially kaiju sized.
Trigger Event: A catch-all term for when you gained your powers.
Cape: A superperson.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2019, 07:24:08 pm »

It could be limited to you own strength, so it is basically just a bit more range to your actions.

I like this idea, at least for a start. I'm okay with letting it get stronger as my character levels up. It would be neat if it was also enhanced by the bonus strength of the suit.

Guess it means I'm sticking with Psychic Sancho after all. Could you change the link in the OP to point to my new sheet instead?

Please, everybody submit any team names you can think of. I'll put them into a poll.

I'm pretty fond of the names you gave earlier, but let me try to think of a few extra:

The Heralds, Freedom United, Omen Masters.

Eh, Twilight force is still my favorite so far.

Concerning "When our team first came together", only the Bull specifies that you defeated a dangerous enemy, so what you have defeated instead?

After all the characters have finished everything except Relationships, Influence and WOTFCT you are supposed to answer the WOTFCT questionin the order of Outsider, Delinquent, Doomed, Transformed, Protege. However that might not work well in PbP. What do you guys think?

I think it would work pretty well in PbP actually. It minimizes discussion which is often the slowest part about it. If you want some ideas though, I think that black sorcerer cabal in GiglameshDespair's backstory, "The Cauldron" is a pretty good starting point. It's an epic event that's sure to bring usually lone heroes together. Sancho's dad would have certainly dragged him along to fight. Perhaps after fighting them off together, they decided to stay together.

Fakeedit: Ninjaed

EDIT: Just want to mention that I rewrote the ability description for the powers to accommodate the new suggestion, please read it and give me your thoughts. I might decide to change it back and just have it start off weak and irrelevent, but grow over time. I REALLY miss the creepiness.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 08:50:20 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2019, 08:43:07 pm »

No...no it is not supposed to be outside the spoiler. I'll fix that.

This is Toba's first mission, which is part of the reason for xer enthusiasm. The other part is natural inclination.

Hinks was one of the kinder and more personable researchers, so xe knows Hinks pretty well. I know Outsiders don't have a Mentor per se, but Hinks would come close to Mentor status. The rest of the science team is seen fairly positively with one or two exceptions that treated xer poorly - even after the truth of the mission became known.

I'm...not sure if knowledge of how Toba's species reproduces is strictly necessary?  ??? It's not like xe would kill or consume someone in a fit of passion.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2019, 08:45:01 pm »

~~~~~======GREAT WALL OF TEXT======~~~~~

Are there any house rules any of you want? I am for the moment just going with base stuff, an Infinite Powers buff, and allowing the extra playbooks.
I think everything should be conditionally allowed on the principle that fun things are fun, but I don't know the system well enough to say anything specific. Since I don't know it well, I'd be inclined to stick close to RAW until/unless we find problems with it - though I don't necessarily think such a problem would need to be a big one, rules are easily mutable even after we get going.
What kind of campaign do you want this to be? With the backstories already and the Doomed its probably going to be some level of dark, but what kind?
I didn't think about it that much, but it seems like the darkness is almost entirely personal or interpersonal, which means that I would think personal plots are most important and others are more like backdrops. But then, that's often the goal anyway. And it might make sense to have something not too personal just to introduce the characters and the system before we get really heavy. I think the biggest concern is going to be level. Thematically, Sepiatone is pretty street level, and if I'm reading it right, Vestige leans that way too, but while Nahullad and Sir Samuel seem reasonably level agnostic, Toba is much higher level, nearly cosmic. So that's something that's gonna need consideration and probably should have been thought about before conceptualizing our characters.
Do you particularly want anything in the setting, other than things already in your backstory?
I think a common narrative structure for cape stories is to not block all the setting details out too thoroughly but just bring up new things as they become relevant, with the insinuation that they've always been true but just haven't come up before now. It works well with a modern type setting because there's so many huge areas of life that are only dealt with by specialized professions, so it's believable that there can be something that's a very big deal that was just never really relevant until it was.

Sirus, why did you think Toba might not be viable?
I mean... Besides the power level, it's also very upbeat and cheerful of a story, where once everyone mutually realized that nobody meant each other harm, everything was resolved more or less just because of that. I'm not sure how that kind of optimistic narrative gels with the tone in the others. This applies as well to how the agender thing will work - Sirus showed no indication of wanting to deal with discrimination or misgendering issues (and I feel that), but that paints a much rosier picture of the world than the other characters' stories. And that detail is a lot easier to set aside than xer very different relationship with AEGIS and scientists than the one Vestige has, and xer implicitly positive relationship with authority in general. It's not an insurmountable problem, but it's definitely gonna be a lot harder to GM for than something like adding another (tonally consistent) character, especially in light of how the system and format both do a lot to mitigate the added difficulty of increased party size.

I'm thinking of having my 'You'd love to kiss ______ before your doom comes' be Sepiatone, since his power nullification no doubt appeals and provides an interesting dynamic.
Yeah, our characters definitely have some things in common that could make for interesting interplay. Would you want to have done some badass crime together? I don't have anything specific in mind but that's one of my relationships.

As for romance, it's really no more different than stories about AIs or monogendered species falling in love with humans.
That's pretty challenging to write though.

(Sorry for ripping you off Cruxador)
All good, I ripped it off (in subsequently rearranged bits) from Giglamesh anyway.

Essentially I have two concerns about giving Sancho Psychic powers. The first one is that I'm afraid it might make him too strong and overshadow the others. The suit of armour is already pretty impressive. The second one is that I feel like psychic Sancho is thematically different from detective Sancho. Detective Sancho is someone who could plausibly learn to embrace his heritage and learn to follow in his father's footsteps. Psychic Sancho is definitely only going to be pushed further and further away from him. If things do turn out well for him, he's going to be a completely different person.

There are definitely upsides to psychic Sancho though. The inevitable discover-the-identity-of-his-mother arc is definitely going to be more interesting for obvious reasons, and he has more tools to work with as far as fighting is concerned. It also gives him something in common with Vestige.

What do you guys think?
I like the psychic thing. Going psychic works well since we already have mind oriented powers going on – Vestige is all on memories, Sepiatone has dream issues, and even Nahullad has weird ways of getting by without a head. It's not a power ranger level of overlap, but it's thematically cohesive. More importantly, I think forming his own identity is a fun narrative line to go down. Being strong isn't necessarily a problem, Superboy and Robin/Nightwing were both concurrently members of the team in Young Justice after all. Besides, the suit is kinda cool but power wise it's just "tough+strong". Telekinesis actually makes you something a bit more interesting than a bruiser, which helps avoid overlap with Nahullad. But honestly, being strong doesn't matter much in a narrative game; just don't use it to try and be the only one doing stuff in combat and it should be fine. I don't think you need to limit this in particular, although since it's supposed to be a new ability, it makes sense for it to be weak at the start.

EDIT: And it seems like you decided while I was writing my giant weekend's hot take roundup post.

EDIT: As for the session zero stuff, run the game that makes the most sense for your vision of these characters. I'm sure we'll go along with whatever you choose to do. Session zero is more important in a game like DnD where the world, setting and conflict, can be vastly different depending on what the GM chooses. It also meant to prevent people from creating characters who are completely incompatible with each other. Here the setting is always Halcyon city, and it's always superheros vs supervillains. Characters haven't been a problem so far.
I'm not sure I can agree with this notion. True, you don't have to worry if there's such a thing as an elf in this particular case, but I've already (in this post) mentioned concerns I have for setting and character compatibility, which are a less familiar than the more thoroughly discussed ones of D&D. D&D is both older and more widespread, but that only makes the problems harder to navigate since there's less resources accumulated on them. I'm not trying to be a downer, but the thing about problems is that the worst ones are the ones you don't know about and therefore can't anticipate, and that's especially difficult for a new GM.

That said, PbP tends to have a forgiving pace, and I imagine everyone will be happy to provide thoughts on making things work here in the OOC thread. And in any case, the thing that ultimately kills games isn't details like this, but simply GM abandonment, which is a lot more easy to identify and just not do. Even player abandonment can be addressed by replacing people.

However that might not work well in PbP. What do you guya think?
I can't say that I know, but I think it's not going to be difficult to do no matter what method we use. At least with this method, we have a thing that saves us from infinite dickering.
Probably unintentional headless horsewoman ... GiglimeshDespair, are you sure that you want Nahullad to be your hero name?
I mean, her name is just Dullahan backwards with some vowels swapped. Seems like a clean enough reference to me. That's not the first thing I would be concerned about with that character.
Cape: A superperson.
That's very much not specific to Worm, it's general comic nerd lingo.

Also I can see y'all don't work weekends.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 08:50:41 pm by Cruxador »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2019, 08:48:39 pm »

Unfortunately, I had Toba's concept in mind before everyone else started posting their gloomy backstories, and I don't know if I can re-write it or make a new one.

I dunno, if this is going to be a serious issue maybe let scriver's character in instead. I'll save The Orange Blob Alien for a lighter-hearted game.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10