Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Masks: a New Generation; Twilight Force OOC Thread.  (Read 25549 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Masks: a New Generation; Insert Campaign Name Here! OOC Thread.
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2019, 08:51:09 pm »

I'm...not sure if knowledge of how Toba's species reproduces is strictly necessary?  ??? It's not like xe would kill or consume someone in a fit of passion.
It's the sort of thing that could be interesting if you're coming at it from a "fun with fictional biology" aspect, which the blob body thing implies, but it sounds like that's not where you're coming from on the agender thing.

Unfortunately, I had Toba's concept in mind before everyone else started posting their gloomy backstories, and I don't know if I can re-write it or make a new one.

I dunno, if this is going to be a serious issue maybe let scriver's character in instead. I'll save The Orange Blob Alien for a lighter-hearted game.
I'm not saying dump your character, it's just... There are hurdles to be aware of.
I don't mean to be going in on you either, it's not like it's not a solid concept, or even a character that I'd have a lot of concerns at all, but I brought up things that I felt were relevant with regards to the ongoing discussion.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 09:00:01 pm by Cruxador »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2019, 09:02:13 pm »

Since your here Cruxador, could you tell me your opinion on my new description of my psychic powers? I changed it because I wanted to weaken it, but you say that isn't necessary. I might change it back.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2019, 09:12:09 pm »

Since your here Cruxador, could you tell me your opinion on my new description of my psychic powers? I changed it because I wanted to weaken it, but you say that isn't necessary. I might change it back.
Oh, I hadn't noticed that change. As writing, it definitely comes across as something you went and added after the fact, but as for the concept, I think it's pretty solid. I'm seeing your new version as a kind of transpositioning or astral projection type power, which is more unique than straight telekinesis, and I think there's room to build on that concept and integrate it with the other aspects of the character more than you've done so far. In this regard, I think that it's more interesting when you're considering it as a standalone power. However, the telekinesis synthesizes with the armor to make a kind of a "mage knight" aesthetic, indicating transcendence over the normal unpowered human level in both physical and mental aspects. That's a cool (and versatile) area to explore as well, even if it's a bit more well traveled. Because it's a bit broader, I reckon it gives you a bit more to work with as a player character, while the version you've got in there now is more of an extension of what you can already do (be strong and hit hard) but I don't think you're particularly hurting for thematic area as-is, because your backstory gives you so much to work with.

I think both have the potential to work well, depending on where you want to take the character.

EDIT: As far as being too powerful goes, "kill stuff" power isn't super relevant here since it's narrativist and that's not how fighting works anyway. As far as narrative space goes, the only overlap I'm seeing is that Vestige's memory things can also do things far away. And that's a pretty limited overlap since I can hardly see the functional things you would want to do with those powers as being similar at all. Summoning the horrors of someone's worst memories to open a door from the other side seems like it would trivialize the drama, for example. Actually, there's more overlap with Nahullad since she's also strong and tough, but that's such a basic thing that a little doubling up is unavoidable.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 09:40:17 pm by Cruxador »

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2019, 12:00:12 am »

Actually, Nahullad is not strong. Just has Impenetrable armor and superhuman senses. However I am willing to say that your armor is heavy enough to deal lots of damage.
If anyone thinks otherwise, or thinks Nuhullad should have explicit strength, then say so.

Also, concerning Toba, that situation in the backstory went all right because the leader happened to make a good decision. That does not mean all Aegis decisions are all right.
Concerning the rest of the positivity, really, all dark series should have an optimist, either to corrupt or contrast with.
Either Toba is a font of light in dark times, or will have the development of learning how dark the world really is.
Either way, I don't really need to do anything myself, just keep the dark tone, and watch Toba/Sirius glitter or  fade.
However, I can understand if you don't want to play such a character, in which case Scrivener could play instead. But really, a Beacon is also an optimist, so it really comes down to who thinks they can play that well.

After all, an optimist is someone who thinks it can always get better, not necessarily someone who thinks it is good now.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2019, 01:01:37 am »

Actually, Nahullad is not strong. Just has Impenetrable armor and superhuman senses. However I am willing to say that your armor is heavy enough to deal lots of damage.
If anyone thinks otherwise, or thinks Nuhullad should have explicit strength, then say so.
That was in part me saying something without going back to the page to look at it. Even without super strength, the implication of the big body is high strength within the human norm, I would think. But I shouldn't have said strong, I just was thinking about the meaty front-liner role.

Also, concerning Toba, that situation in the backstory went all right because the leader happened to make a good decision. That does not mean all Aegis decisions are all right.
Concerning the rest of the positivity, really, all dark series should have an optimist, either to corrupt or contrast with.
Either Toba is a font of light in dark times, or will have the development of learning how dark the world really is.
Either way, I don't really need to do anything myself, just keep the dark tone, and watch Toba/Sirius glitter or  fade.
However, I can understand if you don't want to play such a character, in which case Scrivener could play instead. But really, a Beacon is also an optimist, so it really comes down to who thinks they can play that well.

After all, an optimist is someone who thinks it can always get better, not necessarily someone who thinks it is good now.
Yeah, I don't know if I conveyed my meaning effectively, but by no means was I trying to say that the character can't work. It's just that right now it's optimist in a positive and high level (narratively) situation. I kind of feel like I may have shat on Sirus, but that wasn't my intent and doesn't reflect my feeling, I only was intending to point out what can be a problem. It's not something that's fundamentally unrectifiable. Unless it's the case that he only wants to play upbeat and everyone else only wants to play dark, then tonal misalignments can be adjusted for.

I didn't say anything about scriver's character because the quality of the writing wasn't really relevant. I do think he did a good job making a character that is an optimist in a not that great but definitely street level situation. But to be fair, that's also much easier to do based on the beacon than it is based on the outsider, so this shouldn't be considered a point against Sirus or his character either.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2019, 07:08:57 am »

I didn't say anything about scriver's character because the quality of the writing wasn't really relevant.

What that supposed to mean  :o :o :o

No but on a serious note I also intended for Dexai to be positive and light hearted, I don't know if I failed to tell it that way but that was the idea. I just didn't think I could go full out "everybody can be a hero no matter what as long as they do their best!" optimism because that sort of removes the core conflict of the playbook, the premise that you are just a mainly ordinary person in a world of Juggernauts, Godzillas, and Darkseids. Sure, you can punch things good for a human, but there's a whole host of superstrong supertough fighters out there and your not even Bruce Lee (probably).

Admittedly, Bruce Lee would beat the shit out of most of both DC and Marvel by sheer coolness alone. But still.

(Also, yes, I wanted him to eventually adopt the name Dexai (based on one of the phrases found written on ancient Greek sling bullets, meaning "Catch" or "Take this" or something, I looked it up when I wrote it but ice already forgotten) rather than "Yellow Jacket Boy". Originally I had written him as an bow-and-arrow-and-trick arrow except using a sling-and-bullets-and-trick-bullets (I was thinking things like flash and smoke grenades), to really emphasise the whole "peasant" thing. I was thinking of asking to change it back but I didn't want to ask for too much when I wasn't even let in yet ;) So instead I made him a martial artist and the idea was to eventually, when he got a real costume, get brass knuckles with the word Dexai written on them. I thought it was still fitting. You still catch the fist with your face, after all.)
Love, scriver~

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2019, 11:17:05 am »

I didn't say anything about scriver's character because the quality of the writing wasn't really relevant.

What that supposed to mean  :o :o :o
Just that you were kept out on the basis of time of submission, not quality of writing. And nobody was particularly talking about it.

No but on a serious note I also intended for Dexai to be positive and light hearted, I don't know if I failed to tell it that way but that was the idea. I just didn't think I could go full out "everybody can be a hero no matter what as long as they do their best!" optimism because that sort of removes the core conflict of the playbook, the premise that you are just a mainly ordinary person in a world of Juggernauts, Godzillas, and Darkseids. Sure, you can punch things good for a human, but there's a whole host of superstrong supertough fighters out there and your not even Bruce Lee (probably).
Sure, you made an optimistic character but your description still put him as optimistic in a situation that's very much not ideal.

Admittedly, Bruce Lee would beat the shit out of most of both DC and Marvel by sheer coolness alone. But still.
He was more or less a wuxia character, his coolness is because he was actually a real person who can be compared to other real people.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2019, 12:47:36 pm »

Could the two of you please finish your characters? Also, everyone, even those who have finished their characters, remember to have answered these questions:
• What family does your character have?
• Do you go to school?
• Do you have a secret identity?

Also, concerning WOTFCT, I have decided that, unless thinks it should not be, that the foe you faced was the Cauldron, the sorcerers in Nahullad's backstory.
However, I'd prefer if a sorcerer or two escaped, so I could use them as villains in the future.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 12:53:50 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2019, 03:08:31 pm »

Sorry, I thought it over and I'm dropping after all. I've gone against the party "mood" before and the idea of doing it again just isn't appealing.

I hope everyone has fun with Masks though!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2019, 03:11:54 pm »

Oh. Scriver, I guess you're in then.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2019, 04:13:28 pm »

GiglimeshDespair, are you sure that you want Nahullad to be your hero name?
Nothing like Headcase, Head Case, Cockroach(because of their being insects that supposedly can survive without a head.), or Mannequin?
I can think of few less complimentary names to take than Cockroach. :P Things like Headcase aren't very complimentary, either, so I find it hard to imagine as a name someone would take unless they'd deliberately playing up that aspect.

Nahullad isn't a brilliant name, but can you blame Amy? Poor lass doesn't even have a brain anymore.

On the topic of her strength; she's very strong, as a seven foot tall person would be, but she's not superhumanly strong - yet. For her first advance, I plan to get the two powers from any other playbook. I was going to get super strength and vitality absorption.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2019, 09:48:03 pm »

Well, it seems to me we've got things mostly ready. In order to ensure things get wrapped up and good to go, y'all reckon it's about time to set a date? Monday makes sense to me, in case people want the weekend to wrap bits up. Or we could aim to commence with the IC on the weekend. And it would also be a good idea to set expectations for pace. I think each person posting each week seems like a reasonable minimum but it would be good if we could move along more snappily than that, and I think since this game isn't really turn based, we should be able to avoid the situation where people have to wait a lot for someone else to post.

Nahullad isn't a brilliant name, but can you blame Amy? Poor lass doesn't even have a brain anymore.
I think it's an alright name. Not super catchy necessarily, but it has that supernatural feel to it. It's consistent with the other aspects of the character.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 10:56:47 pm by Cruxador »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2019, 11:58:42 am »

Oh. Scriver, I guess you're in then.

Oh dear, now I feel guilty for this Dx

I am not very sure what more I need to do with my character beyond the last stuff I wrote in the to do list.
Love, scriver~

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2019, 12:07:00 pm »

I think each person posting each week seems like a reasonable minimum but it would be good if we could move along more snappily than that, and I think since this game isn't really turn based, we should be able to avoid the situation where people have to wait a lot for someone else to post.
That would make sense, except while it isn't turn based, in battle I would still have to wait for the last player to post. I think a three day minimum is more snappy, while still being reasonable.

I am not very sure what more I need to do with my character beyond the last stuff I wrote in the to do list.
Does your character go to school?

Also, everybody, you don't have to keep the Look options you didn't take on your character sheet.

Additional questions:
 Amy, your first Who were you before? paragraph is still missing an end.
Is there a reason your neck degrades objects placed on your neck other than "Powers, so there!"?
Also please finish the questions already there.

Sam, are your 'illusions' strictly visual, or can they make sound? If they touch someone, do they feel anything?

And you know what, we've waited long enough, and I think your characters are fairly fleshed out.
You first came together fighting Cauldron, the sorcerers from Nahullad's backstory.
Sepiatone, We totally broke some major rules to win the fight. What rules did we break? Whose rules were they?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 12:56:19 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2019, 05:43:57 pm »

Sam, are your 'illusions' strictly visual, or can they make sound? If they touch someone, do they feel anything?
The dream world is entirely silent, and so are things made from it. At least at game start, it's also totally ethereal and the illusions don't have any effect. I suppose being in direct contact with them could cause a vague feeling of unease, but I don't know that it would be enough to bestow a condition or anything. It could make sense for them to do so when unleashed but that also runs the risk of stepping on Vestige's toes.

And you know what, we've waited long enough, and I think your characters are fairly fleshed out.
You first came together fighting Cauldron, the sorcerers from Nahullad's backstory.
Sepiatone, We totally broke some major rules to win the fight. What rules did we break? Whose rules were they?
Oh no, being first is hard! I'm not confident in it, in part because I don't want to godmod other people's characters into the story, but I also want to tie people together. So... Please provide feedback and consider this final only inasmuch as we can move forward, but still subject to refinement.

Anyway.

IC: Six months ago, the city was attacked by the evil cabal of sorcerers and witches called The Cauldron. They unleashed a great horde of monsters in the city, rampaging creatures that attack indiscriminately. Sam Walters invoked his pallid mask, and got involved from the shadows, leeching power from monsters, but his powers weren't suited to it. There was little he could do. And then he saw one of the cauldron sorcerers do something - it wasn't clear what - to a monster, causing it to roar and grow. And then the sorcerer fled, escaping the AEGIS soldier that was busy engaging the monster. When Sepiatone followed him, the AEGIS soldier shouted to try to take him captive, that he was claiming the captive for AEGIS business and he would need to be turned over. Sam didn't even answer him. The sorcerer rushed down an alleyway, apparently lacking any supernatural method of transport. But Sam knew the area. A great waxen tyrannosaur appeared in front of the fleeing sorcerer, and he saw Sepiatone behind him, which caused the sorcerer to flee down an alley. That was why Sam manifested the illusion. He sent his own ephemeral monstrosity behind the fleeing mage, and took the time to leech the color from the alley. Sam Walters knew that area, had spent nights there, and he had sent the villain into a dead end. Unhurriedly, Sam strode into the field that he had prepared. The sorcerer, cornered, turned to fight, and summoned his powers. But it had taken too long, and his powers didn't come. Sepiatone confidently approached him as he, now panicking, backed against a wall. Sam socked him in the gut, set him on the ground, and informed the sorcerer that he would continue to waste away and eventually die, unless Sepiatone let him go. Then it was time for questions. Sam wanted to know who Cauldron were, why they attacked, but most importantly where he could find their base. The sorcerer wasn't interested in sharing any of those things, but Sam put on the pressure. At one point, a knife came out. He didn't get everything, but he got a location.

OOC again: I'm thinking this is the start of the mission, and we'll run into each other over the course of the event, and converge on the location where we fight sorcerers while the more experienced and famous heroes were fighting the monsters. If someone else wants to alter that though, suggest your alternate narrative or (if it doesn't conflict with what I wrote anyway) just go with it. As for the breaking of rules, I'm taking a captive, not turning them over to AEGIS, and engaging in enhanced interrogation. I'm not sure exactly where the sweet spot is between a cop-out breaking of rules and getting into stuff too dark (and too consequence-laden) to open a game with, so please feel free to say anything on that topic as well.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10