Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Installing Dwarf Fortress on Fedora  (Read 2158 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Installing Dwarf Fortress on Fedora
« on: May 24, 2019, 03:10:32 pm »

This isn't a request for help, but a description of my process in case it helps other people.

The wiki is a good resource, but incomplete. I had to remove df_linux/libstdc++.so.6 and install ncurses-compat-libs before it would work. (Links: this explains the inscrutable error message, and this explains how to parallel-install the older version of ncurses.)

(I've only tested this for CLI mode; more will probably be necessary for GUI mode.)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Installing Dwarf Fortress on Fedora
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 04:08:32 pm »

I think you only need ncurses in TEXT print mode.

In general for missing libraries, you can try ldd on the binary (on libs/Dwarf_Fortress, not the df script), then dnf provides will tell you the package you need to install.

UristMcVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING][BLOODSUCKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 12:35:00 pm »

Boi, Linux LinSux.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Naga/Lamia race

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 07:08:25 am »

What version of Fedora are you using? If something is missing from the wiki, it can't hurt to add it there.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.