Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Candles In The Dark (IC Thread)(Turn 6)  (Read 6524 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Candles In The Dark (IC Thread)(Turn 6)
« Reply #120 on: August 20, 2019, 11:59:51 am »

Since my shield stops time - although that hadn’t quite been my intent - I could go in and replace it with an uncorrupted item of comparable power and worth so that the mortals don’t realize it’s been removed.
Since, you know, some of you seem to think letting them have something eldritch could hypothetically be any sort of non-terrible idea.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 20, 2019, 06:18:08 pm »

"Destroy it in the void of space, yes. Better if beyond the Wall. If the mortals should want, then grant them a boon I will."
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 06:23:49 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Elvish Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 22, 2019, 07:26:22 pm »

"Very well, I will take it into space and destroy it. If you want to go ahead and freeze them for me.." she gestures to Bastion.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 22, 2019, 07:44:14 pm »

Are we making the replacement star first, so they don't notice?

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Candles In The Dark (IC Thread)(Turn 3)
« Reply #124 on: August 23, 2019, 10:30:04 pm »

"Right now we only need a replacement gemstone if people want to replace it." Anath points out. "It may have been a star, but that's not what it resembles now. I suggest asking our wealthy fellow if they might have something fitting in their treasury.""

Turning away from this conversation, at least for the moment, Anath, as he wished to do previously but lacked the energy at that time to do such, moves to create a new realm, a dream realm, where he can safekeep the souls of his fallen followers. Thus, reaching not into the world but into that which is between all things, Anath causes a new realm to form centered around a new born star. This Dreamstar is the core of the realm, and from it emits the substance of the realm itself. Three gates form with three barriers, separating the dream realm into four different layers.

The outmost and 'top' layer is the layer where daydreams and fancies are born and drift upon the dreamwinds and dreamwaves, simple creations with short and simple existences. But underneath the surface of the dream realm lies the Gate of White and Black, which all dreamers will eventually pass through. Beyond it lies the second layer, where true dreams are formed and exist, and where all sleepers go when they sleep to form their dreams. Lucid dreamers too dream here, and can form larger, more stable constructs with proper care, skill, and strength of dream, and these constructs can be made long lasting enough to exist beyond the dreamer whom formed them's awakening, to be returned to next night, or perhaps found by other lucid dreamers. Well, once anyone figures out how to do lucid dreaming, as that might not have been invented yet.

Underneath the layer of True Dreams one will find the Gate of Sun and Moon, which separates the simple dreams of mortals from the icons and great dreams that consume many. Here is the Archtype layer, where one can find the Black Knight, the Eternal Rebel, the Peaceful End, other things that form an icon in the minds of almost all. The Gate of Sun and Moon is not easily passed by mortals, but a strong and most of all determined enough dreamer can pass through and meet and interact with these archtypes, national or racial or other.

Beyond even that is the Gate of First and Last, where the souls of those faithful to Anath are called to after death, though any whom dreamed strong and deep and true may potentially find their soul given the option of coming here after death. Here the souls of the fallen can linger, dreaming either lucidly or not as they wish, interacting with each other and potentially even venturing up to the higher realms of dream to interact with the living should they be great enough dreamers to find a way back through the gate. And at the center of this layer is the Dreamstar, the heart of the realm of dreams. From it comes the raw substance of dream, and it is the direct access to such stuff that allows the souls of the fallen whom find their way here to make greater dreams then any higher layer could hold, As well though, should a dreamer tire entirely of existence, they may plunge into the star to have their spirit refined in its fires, and sent once more to the world to be reborn and live a new life. Such a new life does not remember clearly most of its old life, and only the strongest, most vital memories come easily at hand, though with enough work, meditation, and focused dreaming other memories may be refound. Should such a reborn life find itself returned to the deepest realm of dream, however, they may reclaim their old memories from the star and know all that made themselves them. With experience in reincarnation, it is even possible that a soul could guide what memories its new self retains to promote the chances of them once more finding their way to the dreamstar after their next life is over...

Thus, pleased with his work, Anath infuses his creation with 7 DE to make it real.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 26, 2019, 12:03:46 pm »

Bastion collects one of the Fallen Stars from an uninhabited planet, and uses 1 DE to make it appear identical to the 13th, but for one small detail: it has his symbol engraved on it. It’s small, and unlikely to be noticed by mortals until it’s owner has claimed it, but it is there.

He then collects the 13th fallen star, deftly replaces it with the replacement star he has reshaped, and brings the 13th deep out into space, where he will destroy it.

He will then stand guard against whatever eldritch incursion will be made against Anath’s creation.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 26, 2019, 02:55:28 pm »

Kamoan realized the world was growing crowded, but yet, still lacked a certain danger. The treasures we're less guarded and the mortals all got along too well. Without conflict, how could one truely savor what was amassed?

As Kamoan contemplated this he noticed his desire for blood was partially sated. A dark gemstone had fallen to the earth and the tiny ones had come to claim it.

Kamoan was outraged! How dare these flies swarm without first asking his blessing to claim such a treasure for themselves!

After fuming for a moment, the god calmed. These are truly mortals with greed and fury in their hearts. And they had gathered in one place to seek a treasure that did not belong to them, for all treasures belonged to Kamoan. These are the mortals he had so desired, and by a stroke of luck they had gathered before him.

Kamoan appears before the warring creatures, a flash of golden light and desire. He observed the actions of Bastion, but makes no sign of it to the mortals. He speaks this: "Warring children from far and wide. Dragons born of my blood. Elves born of starlight. Insects of industry. Bescaled of artifice. You have come to claim what does not belong to you, a treasure of grand magnitude. Such a creation could only belong to the God Kamoan, father of dragons and keeper of all wealth.

For your trespasses, I should smite each of you where you stand... But... I shall not. For your presence here indicates to me you hold wealth true in your heart and will take up arms to claim it. Truly you are children after my own heart. Instead of smiting you, I shall bestow onto you my blessing so that you may claim treasure in my name!

After Bastion replaces the star with another less corrupt one, Kamoan takes the fallen star and crushes it in his hand. A swirling maelstrom of liquid gold and fire radiates out from the god illuminating all at hand before it collapses in on itself and exploding outwards once more. When the dust settles and the light clears the races gathered have been changed by the power of the god, fueled with the power of a fallen star.

The mortals which remained had become Scorched, elements of themselves burned away and replaced by other mortals, by fire, or by Kamoan's hand.

Spoiler: Scorched (click to show/hide)

Scorched as you now are, you have gained my blessing and my power. Praise often the name Kamoan and treasure and power will become yours.

Kamoan then winked at Bastion, indicating a single large bescaled. Unbeknownst to the individual, it had not Kamoan's symbol engraved in it's soul, but Bastion's carved exactly as he had carved it into the fallen star, it had been transfered to this singular Scorched.

4(?) DE spent

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Candles In The Dark (IC Thread)(Turn 3)
« Reply #127 on: August 26, 2019, 04:02:05 pm »

Anoth becomes increasingly annoyed. "Exactly what part of 'leave the other fallen stars alone and we'll see if the mortals eventually manage to do something interesting with them' is unclear? Because everyone seems to be completely ignoring me on this when I made said fallen stars in the first place."

"I swear to me, I'm going to have to start cursing everything you all do with them if this keeps up. But hey, if you all want to make the precedent that a god's clearly stated wishes for their own creations means absolutely nothing then keep it up!"
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 04:05:48 pm by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 06, 2019, 05:26:55 am »

Ma Dong, having taken a brisk nap, had found that the star had already been dealt with. A shame, but not a great one. Still, Kamoan was correct; conflict of sorts was...necessary. How else, Ma Dong thought, would one gain experience to serve? Rather than offer power however, Ma Dong chose a far baser lure; pleasure. He was at all sure if the mortals would find his gift as tantalising as he did, but he supposed that it did not matter.

4DE: Taking a few leaves from his tea rations, Ma Dong chewed on a few select pieces. spitting it into a pack of jerky and rolling them up in his hands. With a few strokes, gestures and words, Ma Dong scattered the concoction across the worlds tropical and subtropical regions. He also put a large smattering around the site of the former 13th Fallen Star. There, they would grow. From the moist balls of dried meat and tea leaves would grow a new plant; the camelleon.

An evergreen bush (or small tree, if allowed to grow), the camelleon's roots are of the texture and shape of a chameleon's tail, with its leaves similarly sticky and pinkish as that of a chamelon's tongue. Small organisms that should land upon the leaves of the camelleon find themselves stuck and quickly enveloped by layers of the plant's leaves; these are important sources of nutrients for the plant, for it is oft overshadowed by bigger plants. Indeed, the camelleon is fully able to survive without sunlight should it be fed enough protein- be it flesh or otherwise. In this state, the plant is rarely able to grow very tall due to a lack of energy; it lacks much ability to consume bigger prey (which find the adhesive nature of the plant's leaves more a novelty or annoyance than a threat) or digest them to great efficiency.

In areas where the camelleon is able to freely absorb sunlight, the camelleon's leaves take on a flatter and more plant-like texture, although still resembling tongues in a way. The camelleon, if allowed to grow, will grow a trunk on which will sprout eyes similar to that of a chameleon. These slowly survey its surroundings.Should a mortal pass by (and should the tree have enough energy), the camelleon will lock onto the individual and gently thrust its leaves towards the being, gyrating its leaves as it does so.

Regardless of state, camelleons reproduce via mundane sexual fertilisation like many other plants. Camelleons tend to be monosex, with each plant being male or female. Sex cells are distributed via flowers which grow during breeding season. These are chameleon heads for photosynthetic plants (which themselves make a tasty spring meal), or a temporary mass of wrapped leaves for carnivorous plants.

The leaves of the mature camelleon are multifaceted in effect and indeed, magical.

All leaves of the photosynthetic camelleon contain caffeine and have a usually pleasant flavour to them. Older camelleons grown in highly fertile/moist soil produce leaves that not only provide a rush of caffeine to all species but also:

>a few moments of happiness
>a temporary boost in intelligence and creativity
>a feeling of magically-induced calmness
>synesthesia (in some cases)
>a loss of pain
>visions of celestial light, and a feeling of general euphoria (this occurs rarely)

Depending on growing conditions,care and leaf preparation (better conditions/care/preparation usually lead to more beneficial effects), these leaves can produce a whole variety of other effects including:

>the shakes
>feelings of helplessness/invincibility
>greater strength/weakness
>cravings
>vomiting/a relaxing of one's bowels
>curing of minor diseases/susceptibility to diseases
>etc.

All above effects can be experienced by chewing on camelleon leaves but are better experienced if the leaves are boiled.

In contrast to their photosynthetic form, carnivorous camelleon plants are fleshy, chewy and hard to swallow. If boiled sufficiently, the leaves can be used to create a strong adhesive. If cooked, they instead produce a very potent poison that causes symptoms akin to a fever in low dosages, but coma in higher ones. Outright death requires a few leaves.

Camelleons prefer moist, highly fertile, low-altitude ground, with those stuck elsewhere rarely surpassing their carnivorous state. Those grown in relatively poor soil or at high altitudes can grow to become photosynthetic at a much slower rate. Regardless, the plants themselves can take a while to grow. This tends to improve the intensity of the leaves however. One bad season or mismanagement of the plant however, can cause the plant to revert to a carnivorous state or even die.

Older plants tend to exhibit more intense effects, with visions of celestial light (and indeed, the euphoria associated with celestial light), becoming more frequent. Venerable high quality plants have the same effects of the celestial light of the Celestial Heavens.

Simple Action: Ma Dong personally appears at the site of the 13th Fallen Star and invites everyone gathered to sample the leaves of the plants. Ma Dong implies that these plants are very difficult to grow and most enjoyable to the senses.
Simple Action: Ma Dong appears to any of the possible successors to Confubrum  and reveals to them as many secrets of tactics and strategy as possible as long as they remember to mutter a few prayers here and there to Ma Dong should they find success. Mainly, these lessons should be focused on either fighting off the other heirs or building up a powerbase elsewhere. One suggestion is to work with the carp in the same way Cofubrum did with the bescaled.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 08:40:05 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Wozzy

• Bay Watcher
  • Do you like waffles?
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 06, 2019, 05:38:48 am »

Outvoted on all fronts, Saraab simply returns to the Vrenkriks. There, he spends time with them again, teaching them about the existance of True Word Magic, but not revealing any secrets. Only those who have perfected their craft can learn it, and then pass it down to others (something the Vrenkriks are quite adept at). This time, he also tells them that he is their creator, and as such, will protect them. In an attempt to create an ambassador between him and his creations, Saraab blesses one with extended life, and will speak to them from time to time. This blessing will be passed down to the most popular Vrenkrik when the last ones time has passed.

Use minor action to spend time with the Vrenkriks. Teach them about the existence of True Word Magic, and that he is their creator and protector.
Spend 3 Energy granting the most popular Vrenkrik extended life and the ability to communicate with Saraab freely, turning them into his prophet.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 12, 2019, 02:54:52 pm »

PTW
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]