Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Returning to the game after hiatus

(1/3) > >>

ColonelTEE3:
So i played this game back in 2008 and then again sporadically throughout the years until maybe 2012 or so. I always ended up abandoning my forts because of FPS death, or, less commonly, Spoiler (click to show/hide)trying to wage war against hell.

I started reading about DF again and it sounds like this is still an ongoing issue. I'd love to come back to this game but sinking hundreds of hours in and then reaching that <10 fps point is just a draining experience.

Is my only option really to make the smallest world with the shortest history starting with the smallest grid and cap my population and never dig too deep?

Telgin:
Performance hasn't changed much since 2012 in my experience.  Admittedly, I haven't played the newest version, but I doubt it changed too much in that respect.  Toady has fixed a few causes of FPS drain, like jobs related to hives, but the new features have more or less taken up any slack fixes like that have brought.

How old is the computer you last tried it on?  Have you gotten a newer one since then?

ColonelTEE3:
Thanks for the reply. That's a little unfortunate to hear.

MOBA and RAM are the same (~2009), graphics card, hard drive, heat sink have been replaced in the last ~3 years. Most everything else under the hood is the same. So yeah if i got a new computer i'm sure that would help, but i've read that running DF is really just a matter of RAM more than anything else. Maybe that's not true though.

I suppose what would be reassuring for me to hear are stories of people who are able to reliably keep FPS at decent rates (30+) even in forts where they didn't have to sacrifice and self-limit so much...

ColonelTEE3:
mis-post

vjek:
For me, I make the world flat enough and fast enough that I haven't run into FPS issues, even when using automated magma drowning hallways.

But, this is what I usually have:
Pocket world with a few hundred years of history. (to get all the artistic stuff in place for taverns/temples)
Less than 20Z between embark and SMR.
One cavern.
Dry cavern. Blood thorn only.
A very small and thin aquifer.
No surface trees, shrubs, or plants.
No rain.  No surface water.
All races visit, either friendly or not.
Vertical layout fort.

And then optionally:
No surface wandering animals, if you really want it like that.
Vampires, Werewolves, Necromancers.
Titans, Semi-megabeasts, Megabeasts.
Larger than a 2x2 embark
Volcano (not really necessary imo with the magma so close, but opinions vary)
HFS/Clowns/Candy.
Lethal cold and/or lethal hot.

Try this fort.  See how it works for you.  If it works fine, you'll probably be fine with a similar world / design / layout in 0.44.12.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version