Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crashing...  (Read 3660 times)

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Crashing...
« on: June 25, 2019, 11:05:36 pm »

Running LNP and 44.12

Crash happens only during fortress mode the moment I hit enter at the strike the earth screen.

Nothing useful in the log files.

Any suggestions?

Tried re-downloading LNP, tried multiple maps including stock standard maps.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: Crashing...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 01:05:46 am »

It's a known issue with TWBT. The only workaround (that I know of) is to disable*  it before you embark, embark, save your game, close DF, enable TWBT again and load your fort.

*In LNP's launcher under the graphics tab, find the "print options" and change it to something othar than TWBT.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 02:02:30 am »

It's a known issue with TWBT. The only workaround (that I know of) is to disable*  it before you embark, embark, save your game, close DF, enable TWBT again and load your fort.

*In LNP's launcher under the graphics tab, find the "print options" and change it to something othar than TWBT.

Working, thanks man. Been a while since I played, this caught me out.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 10:36:45 pm »

Why can't I reproduce this problem? Are any special LNP or embark settings required?

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 12:08:31 am »

I don't know, I haven't noticed any patterns.

Embark settings don't seem to have an effect. Both custom profiles and the "play now" one can have the bug.
How you gen the world doesn't seem to affect it either, short history, long history , big map, smal map, simple world gen, advanced world gen can all have the bug.
Changing fort/group 's names don't make any difference.
Sometimes after a number of tries to embark (to the same location) it might "fix" itself and just work as intended.

About LNP settings, I'm using the default except for the population caps, no intro, no sound, fps counter on and DFHack's Perfomance tweaks on. I'm using Phoeubus's set which I have installed manually because the preinstalled one is somewhat messed up and doesn't display the workshops properly.

There have been multiple references to this bug in PE's Starter pack thread, where someone (I don't remember who) suggested to disable twbt before embarking and it worked.

Is there any file/error log that could help you?
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 04:01:44 am »

Like Ulfarr, my experience is that it crashes often/most of the time on embark, and I use the same settings as Ulfarr does (except that I'm too lazy to replace the Phoebus tile set, and so uses the one distributed with the pack). My worlds are typically PSV ones, although I've had the issue both with my "normal" type of world and with completely uniform ones (used for temperature calculation research).
Earlier (a year or two ago) I had cases where I was able to embark with some specified DF window sizes where windows one row or column larger failed, but the TwbT thread did not seem to have any interest in the issue.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 11:09:42 pm »

That TWBT crash on embark  has been a thing for years for me as well.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Keevu

• Bay Watcher
  • I would rather be with trees.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 10:27:23 am »

Do not embark with the df window fullscreen. I was recently just wondering what causes this. It is a TWBT problem since it happens to me even though I use TWBT without Lazy newb pack (However I use the dll built by LNP since I don't have a compiler on my pc), but to enable multilevel view you want to keep it enabled. So just embark with a small window. then you can maximize the window after you see your dwarves on the screen.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 10:29:16 am by Keevu »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 03:26:00 am »

It doesn't have to be a full window to crash: a large one is enough (I once investigated the exact limits on my computer and posted the results in the TwbT thread). The safest way is to disable TwbT before embarking, saving (and exiting), enabling TwbT, and then continuing.

Flincherbach

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 05:05:56 am »

Hi guys. Some troubles with Starter Pack Launcher (PyLNP). When i launch him nothing happens. First of all i checked folder attributes - and i see black square in the checkbox (only for reading). Also i checked this attribute on Launcher himself and the checkbox is clear. Is this a problem with folder attributes or something else?
__Windows 10 x64. NOT a system drive.