Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Food/Cooking Thread  (Read 730 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New Food/Cooking Thread
« on: June 23, 2019, 09:02:52 pm »

Previous thread is locked, so starting a new one.

I mentioned in another thread the twice-baked potato balls that I enjoy making. I'm lactose intolerant, so I don't make them unless I can feed other people also (leftovers become a problem, as does overindulging). The name is terrible, because you only bake the potatoes once (or steam or boil them). Also, you only use enough potato to hold the dairy and flavorings together.

Years ago, I was looking through a website called "this is why you're fat", which contained all manner of unnecessary foods. Several of them were more interesting looking than in practice (hamburger with a donut bun), but there were a lot I'd be willing to eat. So I tried copying these from a picture.

Mash up some potatoes while they're still warm. Boiled, steamed, baked, whatever. You'll need some liquid, so sour cream and melted butter are good. Peels can stay on or come off, but they've got a lot of nutrients.

Once, the potatoes are mixed, grate cheese into the bowl with the potatoes. I use a cheddar, so I know when I have enough: the mixture turns yellow-orange. You may need to add more butter and sour cream to get it to mix in. Also add in bacon, green onion, and other flavorings (garlic?) you like. So far, mostly the same as making a good twice baked potato, without needing to hollow out the skin. Then you roll the cooled potato mixture into balls. They should be a bit sticky. Roll the balls in flour, then an eggwash, then crumbs. That'll give you a thicker crispy coating, and also keep the ball from falling apart when it heats up. Hopefully your oil is hot, because you want it to get good and browned on the outside. Let them cool on a paper towel to get rid of the excess oil, and eat as soon as they're cool enough not to burn you. The crust may break if you aren't careful picking them up; the inside should be a nearly-liquid cheese and sour cream mixture (with potato).

You'll probably be making a few at a time, so hopefully you've got time.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: New Food/Cooking Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 07:12:20 am »

... I have no idea how or why the other thread got locked. Probably a misclick on my part. I unlocked it.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Food/Cooking Thread
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 08:16:34 am »

Cool, I'll move my post and lock this one. Thank you.