Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is special about Bay 12  (Read 738 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Mood: Cautiously Optomistic
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
What is special about Bay 12
« on: June 27, 2019, 12:17:41 am »

Dwarf Fortress is a game I only dabbled in. I don't even have a PC that could run it right now. But that is kind of why I am here.

Wether you log in from a phone or school PC or wherever, one hobby you can always keep up with is forum games.

I started my forum gaming on GameFAQs which has a forum for every game published. And for a time it was a great place to learn to make them, until the moderator staff began to crack down more on them.

I can't really tell the story of how I found Bay 12, because I honestly don't remember. But I sure am glad I did. And while my peers remind me it's not that big of a deal...I am super proud to run the official forum game list, since 2017 infact which is longer than anyone before me.

I have long wondered why the glove fits so well. Dwarf Fortress and forum games. Tonight a lightbulb turned on above my head, and for the first time I had an answer that satisfied me.

Dwarf Fortress, unlike many of the yearly AAA throw away titles, is an ongoing project. The theme is building, but it is also in and of itself the spirit of continuous improvement. And in a way that is what the forum game community is all about. You can always grow as a player and a host and designer. We grow together and we grow individually.
Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: What is special about Bay 12
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 09:10:35 am »

I've never participated in any of the non DF forum games, but I used to be really active in a few community forts, which is similar enough.  I'd say that definitely enhanced the feeling of community for me and is the main reason I really became active here years ago.  I'm sure the concept of community forts isn't unique to DF, but it's still a defining part of the game and community for me, and something few games and communities have.
Through pain, I find wisdom.