Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 34.11 Masterwork warlock game interest check\questions.  (Read 1440 times)

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
34.11 Masterwork warlock game interest check\questions.
« on: June 30, 2019, 07:54:27 am »

For those that played as them more than i did: how they would play in succession game? I didn't really played much as them and do not understand even third of mechanics, and know that:
1. There is only two mugrant waves and no caravans, then you must (apparently somewhat buggily) make zombies.
2. (some) Zombies can only eat meat, wherever you would get it.
3. Everyone hates your guts and constantly sieges and ambushes you, and first siege is on the first autumn.
4. All warlocks look exactly same and have exactly same character, but that can be ignored.  :P
5. They can summon sieges if there are not enough of them and trade corpses(souls?) for resources.
Actually i get an urge to start masterwork dwarves game instead just by remembering their magic, and i think it would be better, but for a change, in theory maybe in parralel?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: 34.11 Masterwork warlock game interest check\questions.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 05:22:48 pm »

I've wanted to do a story one myself, but with the newer versions of the game, I never got around to it. For succession games, I honestly don't think they'd work very well. A lot of their stuff is large, and to make things look good requires a unified vision and at least some planning, especially since it can take a long-ass time to dig out a good-looking dungeon or materialize the blocks to build a proper menacing evil fortress or mausoleum.

Warlocks are backstabbing, conniving little bastards who hate everything and everyone (and only become friends due to how the game makes friends happen.) In a succession game scenario, the only way you'd be able to make a logical transition of power is by killing each overseer, which is obviously bad for gameplay. Course that's just my opinion based on how I regard them. Maybe it'd work out perfectly fine with absolutely no issues brought on by people actually roleplaying to some extent based on in-game personalities.

1. It was changed at some point that you'll get regular migrant waves, because your warlocks were often so drastically few in number it wasn't worth it (or sometimes it was even impossible,) to use some of their end game stuff, because it consumed a warlock you had no means of replacing.

2. Ghouls subsist on meat and need hydration and rest. Zombies and skeletons didn't eat or drink anything, or sleep. Warlocks behaved like normal units, with no special food requirements.

3. Early attacks can come as soon as summer, actually. It's totally random. Earliest one I had hit me in Hematite, comprised of a group of lightly armed humans.

4. Warlocks I don't recall looking identical, but eh. Just leaves room for creativity.  ;)

5. They can use souls harvested from fallen enemies to trade for powerful allies and high grade materials. For seige summoning, I doubt it'd be needed unless you have something specific you're doing and there's not enough souls stored in phylacteries (which they can use to keep souls "fresh," made from rock if I recall right.)

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
Re: 34.11 Masterwork warlock game interest check\questions.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 04:09:51 pm »

Nah, probably will give dwarves a try sometime soon, then. When i will find where seed for last generated world is placed ( ;D ).
Although first player in succession game not writing any story is highly unlikely to work well in general, and i'm really terrible at that.