Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Messenger pigeons

(1/7) > >>

Pillbo:

--- Quote from: ToadyOne 06/27/2019 devlogs ---Just as in world generation, the villains no longer need to hire assassins and other agents themselves. In the case where a villain or a handler is duty-bound and important, where a journey that might take several days would seem inappropriate, I've allowed them to send messages more abstractly, over the same period of time. These will still form the basis of evidence etc. during the investigation period.
--- End quote ---

Maybe this could be accomplished with pigeons or another vermin/animal messenger, which seems possible if these were for powerful people. Homing pigeons have been in use for 3000 years.

It would be cool to see a dwarf running up to the surface to have a meeting with a pigeon that you can't explain, or to find cryptic messages on a dead bird meant for someone else.

GoblinCookie:
I can see there being a [SENDS_MESSAGES] tag in creature raws.  The creature would take a random tame creature from it's site with this token and they would send the message according to whatever is their preferred means of locomotion.  I don't think the game presently models flying very well though.

voliol:

--- Quote from: GoblinCookie on June 29, 2019, 02:35:56 pm ---I can see there being a [SENDS_MESSAGES] tag in creature raws.  The creature would take a random tame creature from it's site with this token and they would send the message according to whatever is their preferred means of locomotion.  I don't think the game presently models flying very well though.

--- End quote ---

+1 to the token.

I’m all for messenger pidgeons (and other animals), but I believe they should probably wait until letters are a thing (which could be just in some weeks). After all, what’s the fun in having them if you can’t pick up the message and read it yourself after intercepting the messenger animal?

Also, there should be several other threads on messenger pidgeons here on the suggestions forum, that probably wouldn’t hurt getting necroed for this, if it needs further discussion.

Shonai_Dweller:

--- Quote from: voliol on June 29, 2019, 04:20:34 pm ---
--- Quote from: GoblinCookie on June 29, 2019, 02:35:56 pm ---I can see there being a [SENDS_MESSAGES] tag in creature raws.  The creature would take a random tame creature from it's site with this token and they would send the message according to whatever is their preferred means of locomotion.  I don't think the game presently models flying very well though.

--- End quote ---

+1 to the token.

I’m all for messenger pidgeons (and other animals), but I believe they should probably wait until letters are a thing (which could be just in some weeks). After all, what’s the fun in having them if you can’t pick up the message and read it yourself after intercepting the messenger animal?

Also, there should be several other threads on messenger pidgeons here on the suggestions forum, that probably wouldn’t hurt getting necroed for this, if it needs further discussion.

--- End quote ---
Letters are a thing. They're the main chunk of evidence for locating villains. And yes, lots of other suggestions on this.

Bumber:

--- Quote from: GoblinCookie on June 29, 2019, 02:35:56 pm ---I can see there being a [SENDS_MESSAGES] tag in creature raws.

--- End quote ---
[CARRIES_MESSAGES] would be more clear.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version