Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crazy combat stories from Adventure and Fortress mode.  (Read 2182 times)

PineMarten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarven Endeavours
Crazy combat stories from Adventure and Fortress mode.
« on: June 30, 2019, 10:07:34 am »

This is probably my craziest combat story. For clarification, it happened in fortress mode when we were under attack from a vicious Weregila that had just killed a whole wave of 6 or so migrants. That'll teach it not to mangle good, honest dwarves!

What are your interesting/crazy combat stories?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy combat stories from Adventure and Fortress mode.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 10:35:05 pm »

Echidnas. I have the strangest things happen to me with echidnas.

I saw a dwarf pick up an echidna with his teeth and shake it around in his mouth like a rat terrier, while stabbing it. I saw a hill titan made of solid amber kick around an echidna like a football for three months straight-- it just wouldn't die. I saw... I saw...

Huh. That's it. Still. Echidnas are crazy.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

EternalCaveDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 09:22:30 pm »

I've got a few.

The first one was me going through a bandit camp. Turned out I'd caught them mostly sleeping aside from a couple sentries. I slew them by strangling them in their sleep. Which somehow had tired my adventurer out despite them not struggling in the slightest. But the bandit master was not asleep. And immediately had me on the back foot. I tried to fight defensively but it was no use, he knocked my character down via charge attack, causing them to lose their weapon and shield. Then cut my adventurer's head clean off in one stroke with his bronze scimitar. The former may have been caused by the actual decapitation, but I like to think there was a certain order to it.

The second one is another Adventure Mode story. And it also involves a bandit camp. In my current world, apparently a buffalo demon has taken over one of the bandit camps. And I'd stumbled on this with a previous adventurer that died to her. This time I came upon it (I'd forgotten which of the camps I'd discovered was this demon ruled one) with a couple companions. Well, since I obviously wasn't going to just let them charge in to die on their own, I went with them. That turned out to be a mistake since she tore my adventurer's foot off first. My companions managed to distract her while I tried to feebly crawl away. But they were no match for her. Then it was my turn, and I held her off okay, if by okay I meant she slowly tore me apart. My shield was only minimal help as she first mangled my other leg. Then my shield arm. And then finally put a stop to my attempts to strike her with my mace (which I'd bruised her with maybe 1-3 times) by grabbing my weapon. The arm holding it she pretty quickly broke with a punch, giving her possession of my mace. Which she then crushed my head with. The image of which you can see below.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The third (also Adventure Mode) story regards a quest to kill a cyclops. Required a bit of a trek (and some unnecessary swimming) on my part around either a large lake or coast of the sea. And I encountered not one, not two, but three cyclopes in the lair. Only one of them saw me, thankfully, so I lured him out by quickly booking it out of the lair. He had a mace but couldn't manage to hit me while I continuously chopped at him with my axe until he died of blood loss. Turns out that wasn't the cyclops I was after. Took the mace and lured out the other and pretty much repeated the process. Still hadn't completed that quest. So I ambushed the third cyclops from behind in the lair. Crippling strike followed by a pretty much repeat of the first two. That was the cyclops I was sent to kill. Butchered the corpses and took the skulls back, kept the mace and went back for another quest. Ended up dying to a zombie that just wouldn't come apart like the others at a necromancer tower afterward.

Honestly, I find myself liking Adventure Mode more so than Fort Mode, this is part of it.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 02:03:06 am »

Back many versions ago, I accidentally embarked on an area that a giant had set up shop in. He charged at my dorfs and I had no choice but to immediately draft all of them into the militia. The giant's attack missed, and soon all the dorfs had grabbed him and were wrestling, punching and biting him. The giant tried to run but the dorfs followed, and eventually it collapsed, and somebody strangled it to death. All I could imagine was the dorfs covering it like a horde of ants, causing him to stumble backwards (as it started walking the opposite direction very fast) and fall over as he was devoured alive.

Another time, I was fighting a bandit master in a forest. His shitty weapons could not pierce my armour or cause damage, and my lack of finesse meant I could not adequately land a blow on him. We fought until the sun went down, and we both passed out from exhaustion. I was lucky enough to wake up first, so I pinched his head and tore it off.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 02:52:21 pm »

I have the dubious honor of being witness to and survivor of The Great Tradesorbs Shitfest.

I'd like to stress the fact that I did absolutely nothing to instigate this event, I was only there to witness it. I also really, /really/ regret not taking screenshots of this.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 09:37:45 pm »

It's witnessing events like the above that I consider the closest thing possible to "winning" the game. :P
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 09:50:11 am »

My craziest DF combat story was about a forgotten beast several years ago
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=102839.0