Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21

Author Topic: CYOGTCG: A TCG game where you make your own cards! Decks created: 7  (Read 19143 times)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile

This is the newest version of CYOGTCG. A long time ago someone called Varkarrus created a variant of 1,000 blank white cards and it was extremely fun. I'm bringing it back once again, which I have probably done at least four times now. The quirk this time? When you start playing you design an entire deck for yourself! I'll balance the actual card stats myself. (Fair warning, things will never be 100% balanced)

Game Rules
1) You start off each game with 20 hearts, and 5 cards in your hand. For any given game, you and your opponent may decide to start with a different amount of any of those three things.
2) If you have 0 or less hearts, you lose.
3) At the start of each turn, you draw one card.
4) Unless stated otherwise, you can only play one card per turn.
5) Cards also have hearts. If they have 0 hearts, they go away, unless stated otherwise. If a card says it has attack power, it can only damage the player directly if they have no cards defending them.
6) If a card has zero hearts when you play it, it will be destroyed after it does its effect.
7) There is a kind of resource called Stars, and you start the game with 0 of them. Strong Cards cost Stars to play, and they can be gained with the effects of weak cards. This prevents your best cards from being played immediately. Cards may also have effects that cost stars to use. (Stars carry over between turns)
8) The player who goes second starts the game with one star.
9) You can also make up your own resources for your cards if you really want.
10) Cards cannot attack on the turn they are played unless otherwise stated, and can only attack once per turn unless otherwise stated. When a card attacks another card, both cards lose hearts equal to the other card's attack
11) By default, if a card is face down it cannot be attacked. Cards may be attackable when face down, in which case this must be declared when playing the card.
12) Face Down cards cannot protect you from being attacked until it is flipped up. If a facedown card does something it will be flipped.
13) The game will typically use the honor system, so players can randomize their own deck and draw cards without GM intervention. If you suspect someone is cheating, inform the GM. Its just sad if you feel the need to cheat in this game. For grudge matches, you can request the GM do all the random stuff.
14) Strive to avoid situations which will require a retcon. Those are a big pain to clean up.
15) In the event of a disagreement, the GM will decide what happens.
16) Don't be afraid to get creative with your deckbuilding!
17) If a card says it does something "At the end of each turn", this only means your own turns unless it specifically states otherwise.

Relative card strength
A card that costs no stars to play would typically have a combined stat total of 5. (Example, 2 attack and 3 hearts). Useful effects will generally lower this, and detrimental effects can raise it. You can also make cards with no hearts which act like "Spells". Each star a card costs will typically raise its base stat total by 3 or 4. Very high star costs can have ridiculous effects.

Tips
Cards can do all kinds of things if you want them to! Want to attack on the turn a card is played? You can give it an effect to let it do that. Don't like only playing one card per turn? Make some cards that don't count towards the limit, and some other cards that let you draw more cards!

You'll want to consider your "Star economy". You can have just a few cards with a very high star cost, or maybe an equal amount of star generators and star consumers. Or maybe just skip the stars altogether and have a lot of basic cards.

You can give cards effects that trigger when they are destroyed, when they attack, when they are attacked, when played alongside another card, cards with an effect depending on how long the game has been going on for, or any number of things really. Surprise me!

Deck Creation
Decks will start out with 40 cards. This may be negotiable in the future. You can have multiple copies of the same card in your deck and I recommend having at least a few multiples to make this a bit easier on the GM. For each card you want to make, provide the following information. PM your card information to the GM, do not post it in the thread!

1) Card Name
2) Star Cost if applicable
3) Card effects and/or flavor text
4) Hearts and Attack.
5) Card background color (All cards will have a very light background)
6) A picture for the card. All pictures should be 100 x 180 pixels in size. (100 vertical and 180 horizontal)

It is recommended to use terms such as "Low" or "High" when discussing what you want a card's stats to be. The GM reserves the right to refuse any card for any reason.

Facedown Cards
In the event that a card says it can be placed face down, use this image to represent the face down card. Somewhere along the lines it was decided that this is to be the back of all CYOGTCG cards forever. Its a tradition I don't intend to break.

Player Mechanics
These game mechanics are used by some cards and cannot easily be explained with card text alone. You only need to pay attention to these if a card actually uses them.

Spoiler: Player Mechanics (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 12:46:13 pm by Supernerd »
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CYOGTCG: A TCG game where you make your own cards!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 06:31:45 am »

Definitely want to participate in this. Just uh, going to take a while to come up with all of my card ideas. Might take quite a bit just to decide the theme of my deck honestly, though I definitely have ideas.

edit: also, is there a difference between card image and card picture, or was that an error?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 08:44:11 am by Failbird105 »

Outsider

• Bay Watcher
  • SOMEONE HELP ME WITH AVATARS ON THIS BLOODY SITE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 11:23:52 am »

This looks fun. Seems simple. All we do is PM you our card info/ideas/deck and you do whatever it is GMs do, right?
Isekai: A suggestion game. High Fantasy, Action, Adventure.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 11:34:58 am »

edit: also, is there a difference between card image and card picture, or was that an error?

This was me just being silly, and also not doing a good proofreading job at 1:00am.

Also, here's another quick tip: Make sure you design some cards around turning the tables when your opponent has the upper hand.

This looks fun. Seems simple. All we do is PM you our card info/ideas/deck and you do whatever it is GMs do, right?

Also yes. Just PM the cards you want made and I'll make them into actual cards for you.
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 01:02:13 pm »

Pm'ed a deck list and Cards, This looks fun and right up my alley so I had to get in on it.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 01:24:43 pm »

How many cards can we play in a turn, and spells?

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 01:26:49 pm »

You can play one card per turn, unless stated otherwise.
There's nothing stopping you from stating otherwise as much as you like on your cards (Aside from a bit of nerfing of said cards I guess).

Also, officially the images you provide to me should be 180 pixels wide and 100 pixels tall. I'll make some degree of effort to modify pictures of incorrect sizes.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 01:34:44 pm by Supernerd »

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CYOGTCG: A TCG game where you make your own cards! Decks created: 1
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 03:47:01 pm »

Someone asked if stars carry over to the next turn. The answer is yes. You keep stars until something happens that would make you lose them.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2019, 04:04:34 pm »

Would it be accurate to assume there's a Hearthstone/MtG situation going on here, where when a Card attacks another card, they both damage from each other?

Also, do face down cards flip automatically when attacked, or is that something you would need to add as an effect if you wanted it to happen?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 04:06:32 pm by Failbird105 »

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2019, 04:20:29 pm »

I'm... Going to rule in favor of cards both doing their attack damage to eachother when a card attacks another card. Seems a bit more balanced that way.

I'm also going to make a ruling on face down cards. When a card is face down, it cannot be attacked or protect you from being attacked until it is flipped unless otherwise stated.

I will also add this information to the first post.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2019, 06:20:33 pm »

Well, I've got all my cards written, but it will likely take until tomorrow to submit them. Also, for what its worth, I do apologize for the amount of work, I feel like I may have made far more individual cards than anyone else.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2019, 06:39:36 pm »

I knew what I was getting into the moment I clicked on the word post. Though it may take several days to process all the cards.

Bluh. I actually thought of a great deck idea myself. So... If anyone else wants to host a similar game so that I can use it, that would be great?

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2019, 07:21:24 pm »

How many individual cards do you have Failbird? I have about 14 although 1 card got cut from the final decklist after it got nerfed a bit to put in a couple more copies of the others.

What randomizer are people planning to use for their decklist? I got annoyed searching for one so I numbered my cards 1-40 and then wrote 1-40 on an RL set of extra playing cards I had Because I couldn't find one that didn't give Dupes.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2019, 07:46:29 pm »

How many individual cards do you have Failbird? I have about 14 although 1 card got cut from the final decklist after it got nerfed a bit to put in a couple more copies of the others.
In total, 22 cards. Though it doesn't help that some of them are kinda two cards in one in a way.

TheRedwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Pagan Desert Bitch (she/they)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2019, 08:35:28 pm »

Would like to participate but my Laptop’s on the fritz so ptw
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21