Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Promontory [4/4]  (Read 5748 times)

Yottawhat

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Promontory [4/4]
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2019, 01:33:36 pm »

Before the others reach them, Turbo hops back on their bike and speeds around the group, retreating a safe distance away and preceding to observe their approach of the locked doors.
Logged
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

Dread

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Promontory [4/4]
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2019, 04:52:24 pm »

Yara reaches into her bag and pulls out a syringe filled with translucent beige fluid. She places the needle into Dominic's leg just above the wound and pushes down on the plunger.

The injection is uncomfortable but not painful. A thin beige film forms over the injury and hardens into something resembling a translucent scab. Beneath it Dominic can vaguely see the torn edges of skin and muscle reforming themselves at a greatly accelerated rate. The process, while still ongoing, renders him able to walk again within seconds. He slowly moves over to the broken door, careful not to disrupt the healing process.

Before Dominic can reach the door, Turbo quickly rights the fallen magbike and speeds away to the far corner of the room. There they pause, watching the others carefully.

Dominic leans against the wall and pulls the end of a thin wire out of his wrist. He recognizes one of the ports next to the door - a standard neural interface terminal seen all over Arasti tech. He cleans the grime from the port as best he can and plugs the wire in.

A short pause. Static. The ground vibrates slightly beneath his feet. Then a stream of data, transferred directly up the wire and into his nervous system.

Code: [Select]

ERR: UNAUTHORIZED INTERFACE DETECTED. FACILITY ADMINISTRATION HAS BEEN ALERTED
ERR: CONNECTION TO facilityadmin COULD NOT BE ESTABLISHED
ERR: CONNECTION TO regionadmin COULD NOT BE ESTABLISHED

Severe facility damage detected. Emergency override credentials detected. Initiating security override.

.

.

.

Emergency credentials accepted.  Rebooting central facility control.

ERR: FACILITY CONTROL SYSTEMS DAMAGED

Emergency generators intact, powered down. Transferring control to emergency personnel. Activate?
Entry doors damaged, unpowered. Transferring control to emergency personnel.
Lighting systems damaged, unpowered. Transferring control to emergency personnel.
Level B3 Security System online, active. Deactivating.

ERR: B3 SECURITY SYSTEM UNRESPONSIVE. DEACTIVATION NOT COMPLETED.

While Dominic works on the doors, Burt looks around for alternate routes. The floor is solid dirt - no way down through there. The only gaps in the walls are the two doors and a ventilation shaft near the roof - too small to fit through. That leaves only the mounds.

The first three piles of dirt are empty. The fourth hides a wolf, which cowers away from Burt as he peers inside. He notes that the mounds seem to be supported by metal struts and the frayed ends of wires can be seen within - They seem to have formed over top of the husks of ancient, ruined vehicles.
The fifth mound he examines is more promising - When he looks inside he notes a corroded iron grate in the floor. A maintenance shaft or drainage tunnel of some sort, likely: Shining his flashlight through the grate he can see metal rungs leading downwards into the earth.

############################################################################

Spoiler: Dominic (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Burt (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Yara (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Turbo (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 02:34:10 am by Dread »
Logged

Naturegirl1999

  • Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Promontory [4/4]
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2019, 06:56:44 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Follow The others down the grate

King Zultan

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Promontory [4/4]
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2019, 04:55:51 am »

"Hey I found a way in, there's a grate with a ladder here."
Find a way to open the grate then equip and turn on my head lamp and head down into the depths.
Logged
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Whisperling

  • Bay Watcher
  • The voice in your head.
    • View Profile
Re: Promontory [4/4]
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2019, 04:38:22 pm »

Cautiously open the doors. Close them again if anything hostile is on the other side, and shut down the generators again when I'm done.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 09:30:17 pm by Whisperling »
Logged
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Yottawhat

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Promontory [4/4]
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2019, 05:36:03 pm »

Keep watching from afar. If the motley crew before me manages to open up the door, drive through it. If the opening is too narrow to drive through, repeat my previous skid and stop and sprint through the gates.
Logged
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

Dread

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Promontory [4/4]
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2019, 05:06:05 pm »

Dominic ponders the messages for a moment. Then he transmits his reply through the wire.

Activate emergency generators. Open entry doors.
 
Code: [Select]
Command accepted. Rebooting generators.
The ground begins to vibrate again. The faint sputtering of a generator can be heard faintly, settling into a dull but steady hum.

Code: [Select]
Command accepted. Entry doors repowered. Entry doors online. Opening entry doors.
     With the ear-piercing shriek of metal sliding on an ungreased track, the jammed door slowly rolls open. The other door opens to Dominic's left, a larger opening wide enough to pass a truck.

     The other side of the door is pitch-black - quite literally, as in the light of Dominic's flashlight he can see a pool of black liquid covering the floor. The room is smaller than the last, but not by much. A series of large metal jacks are lined up against the right wall - several of them still hold the rusting shells of ancient vehicles. Carts, empty boxes, and small machines corroded beyond recognition emerge like islands from the oily sea, scattered at random intervals and untouched for centuries. The ceiling is lined with bar-shaped lamp, most of which are damaged to varying extent. On the left side of the room, a row of workbenches are topped with various tools and oddly-shaped metal pieces. A metal door is placed in the wall near one - held shut by a substantial-looking lock. At the far end of the room, a wide stairway leads downwards next to an empty elevator shaft.

     Turbo speeds past Dominic on the magbike, riding in through the larger door. Two wheels spin atop the oil, and unable to gain traction on the fluid Turbo is forced to a stop mere feet past the door.

##################################

     Burt crawls into the mound and shines his light around the edges of the grate, inspecting the rusted metal. It seems to be locked in place, but the rusting is extensive. Taking hold of a metal strut for balance, he kicks the grate as hard as he possibly can. The metal trembles, flaking chips of rust. Another kick, and the iron bars bend. One final strike, and the entire grate tumbles into the hole. It bangs against the walls and rungs as it falls, causing quite the ruckus until no less than two seconds later it strikes bottom.

     Burt takes out his headlamp, straps it on, and begins his descent. Yara dismounts her bike, slings her weapon over her shoulder, and follows soon after.

##################################

     Burt's feet splash down into ankle-deep water. He finds himself in a round concrete tunnel, barely tall enough to stand in and smelling strongly of mold. Green and brown growths sprout from cracks in the wall, along with the occasional mushroom. Looking ahead down the tunnel, Burt can see that it ends a mere thirty feet ahead intersecting with another vertical shaft in a sideways T shape. If they continue to the end of this tunnel He and Yara are faced with a choice: Back upwards into the facility or even deeper into the earth.

############################################################################

Spoiler: Dominic (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Burt (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Yara (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Turbo (click to show/hide)

Logged

Whisperling

  • Bay Watcher
  • The voice in your head.
    • View Profile
Re: Promontory [4/4]
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2019, 05:40:33 pm »

Find a few watertight boxes and fill them with oil. Drag them back out to the other room and lay them against a wall.

Check to see if any of the machinery is salvageable, especially stuff on the workbenches. Looking for electronics that would allow me to create a spark, explosives, or interesting tools, but I'll take whatever looks useful or valuable.

Be very, very careful to avoid doing absolutely anything that could ignite the oil.
Logged
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Naturegirl1999

  • Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Promontory [4/4]
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2019, 06:12:45 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Equip headlamp, head deeper

King Zultan

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Promontory [4/4]
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2019, 02:56:20 am »

"we need to go deeper."
Go deeper into the earth.
Logged
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Yottawhat

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Promontory [4/4]
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2019, 10:26:35 am »

Turbo hops off the bike and lands in a crouched position. Using their spring loaded leg as a form of explosive propulsion across the slick oil they launch themselves towards the bench, picking up as many valuable looking objects as possible before launching themselves to the stairs that lead to the empty elevator shaft.
Logged
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

Whisperling

  • Bay Watcher
  • The voice in your head.
    • View Profile
Re: Promontory [4/4]
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2019, 11:47:20 am »

Turbo hops off the bike and lands in a crouched position. Using their spring loaded leg as a form of explosive propulsion across the slick oil they launch themselves towards the bench, picking up as many valuable looking objects as possible before launching themselves to the stairs that lead to the empty elevator shaft.


"Excuse me, sir. I believe you're being a little hasty."

Dominic hefts an incendiary grenade in his right hand. He keeps the hotwire in his left wrist connected to the data port and prepares a mental command to close the door, if such becomes necessary.

"Now, I don't mind if you want to go it by yourself. But if you aren't gonna work with the rest of us, you don't get the first crack at our loot. Go find your own cache."
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 11:56:16 am by Whisperling »
Logged
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Yottawhat

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Promontory [4/4]
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2019, 12:04:47 am »

Turbo hops off the bike and lands in a crouched position. Using their spring loaded leg as a form of explosive propulsion across the slick oil they launch themselves towards the bench, picking up as many valuable looking objects as possible before launching themselves to the stairs that lead to the empty elevator shaft.


"Excuse me, sir. I believe you're being a little hasty."

Dominic hefts an incendiary grenade in his right hand. He keeps the hotwire in his left wrist connected to the data port and prepares a mental command to close the door, if such becomes necessary.

"Now, I don't mind if you want to go it by yourself. But if you aren't gonna work with the rest of us, you don't get the first crack at our loot. Go find your own cache."

Turbo glance back at Dominic as they are crouching. They turn around, staring right at back at Dominic.

"What. You never heard of finder's keepers? How about first come first serve?"

Turbo stands down for the moment.
Logged
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

Dread

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Promontory [4/4]
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2019, 05:52:35 pm »

     Yara straps on her headlamp and leads the way down the shaft. A cold chill creeps into the air as they descend farther beneath the surface. The tunnel's walls are old and cracked, seeping with water and flourishing with mold and fungus.

     Maybe thirty feet down, they come to a stop when Yara's feet land on metal. The shaft and rungs continues downwards into the darkness, but another metal grate blocks the passage. The  bars are thicker than her arm, set deeply into the walls and spaced too closely to slip through. She can see no easy way to continue downwards. However, there is a way forwards - a thin, rectangular tunnel cut into the wall at head height. Shining their lamps into the tunnel, they can see it run perfectly straight for several yards before curving to the left and out of sight. The tunnel is too small to walk in - but perhaps they can crawl through.

##################################

After a brief but tense moment between Dominic and Turbo, the two get to work.
Dominic selects a few metal boxes that remain sturdy enough to contain fluid and use them to gather the oil on the floor. After exhausting the supply of usable containers, he is left with three boxes of black gold. The layer of oil was thin, and the floor is almost completely dry now.
Turbo checks the desks for anything valuable, but finds almost nothing - everything here is far too corroded to be recognized, let alone salvaged. The only things they find in relatively good condition: A small spark plug of the type used in most biofuel engines and a glass tube filled with foul-smelling adhesive.

############################################################################

Spoiler: Dominic (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Burt (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Yara (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Turbo (click to show/hide)

Logged

Naturegirl1999

  • Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Promontory [4/4]
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2019, 06:42:41 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
with hunting knife in one hand, flachette gun in the other, head down the tunnel. (If flachette gun is 2 handed, keep hunting knife in pocket)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11