Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Promontory [4/4]  (Read 14783 times)

Dread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Promontory [4/4]
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2019, 11:31:35 pm »

Yara shimmies forward, keeping a close eye on the nearby spiders. The empty grate is narrow and high, but she manages to awkwardly clamber down to the floor. She finds it difficult to place her feet somewhere they won't crush dozens of spiders, but quickly she discovers that if she moves extremely slowly they will move aside. Burt follows close behind, landing on the area already cleared by Yara. The spiders appear intensely attentive but not presently hostile, giving the pair time to examine their surroundings.

The remains of what used to be furniture are scattered in the center of the room, forming a forbidding terrain of jagged metal covered with silk. Directly beneath the dome on the roof, partially covered by a tabletop, is a large metal safe welded to the floor. The safe and its (currently unpowered) electronic lock are also covered in webs. On the far wall is a stairwell leading upwards, and beside the stairs a pair of closed elevator doors.

Dominic leans against the wall and carefully wraps a layer of bandages around his shoes. Then, footsteps muffled by the cloth, skirts around the edge of the room. He hugs the wall until he reaches the map - which seems to be made of some advanced fabric, light as paper and untouched by centuries in the darkness. He takes it down and and folds it into his pack before moving onto the stairs.

As he passes the slumbering beasts, Dominic notices something half-buried in the dirt between the creatures. Something bright blue. A keycard, lying amongst the debris. His flashlight glints off the undamaged magnetic strip running down its side.

############################################################################

Spoiler: Dominic (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Burt (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Yara (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Turbo (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2019, 02:48:25 am »

Quietly dig through the remains of the furniture and look for anything of use.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2019, 08:03:27 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Try to cut away the lock to the safe with the hunting knife. If this fails, Head uostairs
Edit changed but to cut
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 08:43:24 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2019, 08:41:56 pm »

Dominic backtracks and follows Yara and Burt towards the spider room. He stops short of actually entering the crawlspace.

He takes a good look at the newly-pilfered map as he goes.

Dread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2019, 05:11:26 pm »

Yara takes a step forward, unsheathing her knife. The safe is surrounded on every side by broken furniture and thousands upon thousands of interlocking webs - there is no way for her to avoid crushing several as she approaches the safe.

Red-hot needles dig into her ankles, and Yara leaps backwards. Several large black spiders go flying as her foot kicks into the air, leaving angry red marks where they'd bitten her through her clothes.
Evidently they do not take kindly to the destruction of their webs.

Burt looks through the furniture for anything notable, but sees nothing of interest. Perhaps he could get a better look if he dared the webs, but it doesn't look hopeful.

Dominic quietly steps out of the room, climbs back up the elevator shaft, and as he walks back to the dirt mounds unfolds the new map. It depicts quite a large area - he guesses that one would need to drive for two weeks to move from the left side to the right. Scattered around the map are copper-coloured squares of various sizes that no doubt correspond to ruins and other abandoned structures. Each is labelled with a short line of black glyphs, but the ancient Arasti text is foreign to him.

A sudden realization dawns on Dominic - the pattern of forest and shrubland in the lower left is familiar to him. He'd driven through it himself on his way here. That puts their current location...here, marked by a small brown square. And Spiketown, the nearest city, must be that large square six inches to the left. But how does this map, hundreds of years old, show the current terrain when it changes every year?

Dominic folds it back up in order to crawl into the dirt mound and climb down the drain. He feels a bit...strange. The rungs in front of him seem less distinct than they should, their edges faintly blurry against the stone wall behind them. His limbs feel lighter than usual, but his chest heavier. The effects are subtle, however, and seem to be fading as he descends.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 05:32:05 pm by Dread »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2019, 06:22:10 pm »

Look for and attempt to retrieve the key by sneaking. Hold still and move very slowly so the invisibility works
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 06:40:23 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2019, 06:24:43 pm »

Dominic moves closer to the spider room. He recalls whether he could restore power to the safe, if he turned the generators on again (and of course, whether he could potentially bypass the lock).

"You need any help in there? I've got some oil I could get. Could use it to light up all the spiders."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2019, 06:27:35 pm »

"Doing that will burn us too, plus they're fine if you don't mess with the webs"

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2019, 06:38:16 pm »

"We'd get you out first, naturally. And if I'm seeing this right you might need to disturb the webs, if you want to get at that safe."

"Come to think of it, I think I might've seen a key to the lock. Couldn't get at it myself, it was in the middle of a monster nest, but you might be able to shoot at 'em or sneak past them with the gem in your head."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2019, 06:40:49 pm »

(Edited action post0
"Right, good idea"

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2019, 04:25:33 am »

"Yeah, lets burn the spiders."
Slowly get back out of the spider room and help get the oil.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Dread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2019, 07:50:33 pm »

Dominic climbs down the first shaft, wades through ankle-deep water to the second shaft, descends, and finally shimmies through the narrow tunnel to arrive next to Yara and Burt.

Yara carefully steps around the furniture and webs to ascend the staircase on the far side of the room. She arrives onto another floor similar to the last, but inhabited only by two great, slumbering beasts rather than a horde of spiders. The bright blue keycard draws her attention immediately and, moving as slow as she possibly can, Yara approaches the beasts. At this speed, she finds herself invisible more often than not.

Yara: 2 + 2(Grey Walker's Eye)/10

The crystal in her eye renders her difficult to track, but it does not save her from the rotting wood that breaks beneath her feet.

Crack.

A bloodshot eye snaps open. She's less than ten feet away from the waking beast's face. As it lifts its vaguely canine head, mouth slightly agape, she can clearly see its two rows of sharp teeth. A low, guttural growl escapes its lips, and the creature stands. Its body is vaguely humanoid - though much taller and bulkier, with a hunched back and long claws in place of fingers.

The second beast begins to wake.

Burt follows Yara up the stairs, heading towards the top floor where Dominic stashed the oil. He is cut short, however, when he notices that Yara has already awoken the sleeping giants that block his way.

Dominic does not recall anything about the safe from his interface with the system, but he expects that it likely is indeed connected to the central power network.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2019, 08:15:31 pm »

Shoot Flachettes in their eyes

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2019, 02:41:20 am »

"Oh shit, you woke up some werewolf looking things, quick kill 'em!"
Shoot the shit out of the werewolf looking things.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2019, 05:51:54 pm »

Dominic rushes back up to the room with the beasts. He stays back, but keeps a dirt-filled can in one hand and prepares to throw it at any beast that looks like it might hurt someone.

"If we need to retreat, I can trap them in here by closing the door. Might as well try killing them first, though."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11