Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves won't brew drinks.  (Read 4713 times)

PineMarten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarven Endeavours
Dwarves won't brew drinks.
« on: July 02, 2019, 03:52:08 pm »

Every so often my dwarves will stop brewing drinks because they need brewable plants.
I don't know why they are doing this because I have plentiful plants to brew and barrels. Can anybody help me with this? Thanks.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves won't brew drinks.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 04:23:11 pm »

If you're storing the plants in barrels you're getting this symptom. Barrels and bins are bugged in that only a single access can happen at a time on containers, and if the container is locked by an access when a dorf tries to get the item a job has selected for a task the task is cancelled.
I use minecart quantum stockpiles for plants and fruit to work around this issue, and bins only for storing junk to be disposed off through the trade depot.

PineMarten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarven Endeavours
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 04:47:40 pm »

Thank you for the helpful suggestion! You must be right, because everything is working fine now that I have stopped storing plants in barrels.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 12:42:57 am »

Another workaround is to use job orders through the manager noble, say "brew drink from plants" x 1000. You will still get the cancelation reports every now and then, but your brewers will automatically start brewing the moment the barrel is available again for as long as the order is active.

I've found that disabling barrels was extremely helpful for dedicated seed stockpiles though.

Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 01:06:30 am »

Another common problem is brew from plant/brew from fruit. It is not immediately obvious which you need based on the stuff you have. Best try both.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 05:18:40 am »

If you're storing the plants in barrels you're getting this symptom. Barrels and bins are bugged in that only a single access can happen at a time on containers, and if the container is locked by an access when a dorf tries to get the item a job has selected for a task the task is cancelled.
I use minecart quantum stockpiles for plants and fruit to work around this issue, and bins only for storing junk to be disposed off through the trade depot.

I read on the Wiki that plants do not rot when stored in a food stockpile.  After my experiences with fish and meat, I assumed all food was at risk of rot outside a barrel.

So disabling all non plants and fruit from the brewer's QSP would prevent miasma.  I think meat is the same and rots like fish, but the Wiki was less definitive about it.  Going the QSP route, I would just have a separate meat and fish stockpile using barrels right next to the kitchen.  Cheese is another unknown for me. 

I'll do some testing on this the next time I get a chance. 
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 05:28:57 am by Schmaven »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 07:43:25 am »

I don't fish (or milk), but I've never had unprotected meat rot in a food stockpile (but it's not unusual for it to rot in the butcher's shop, as dorfs are more interested in hauling old bones from the caverns than taking care of fresh food and fresh butcherable corpses). However, meat outside of containers are more susceptible to being destroyed by vermin, but those losses aren't that large, I think.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 01:57:05 am »

Food  stockpiles protect everything including milk, cheese and fish.  The losses from vermin as so minimal that I've never actually noticed them.  The only actual downside is that the more accessible food there is, the more vermin there is.  Dwarfs can sometimes freak out seeing vermin.  Cats will usually do the trick, or you can make traps (lots of micro managing, unfortunately).  However, if your biome is susceptible to flies, you will get them.  Even with all of that, I very rarely put food in containers.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 02:44:13 am »

I use minecart QSPs for most food, but I use a different setup for seeds to get the convenience of barrels while minimizing cancel spam. Each type of seed that I'm going to farm gets a 1x2 stockpile that only allows that seed, and only allows one barrel. So most of the time, there's one seed sitting outside of the barrel, and even if the barrel's in use, a farmer can still plant a seed. It's kind of fussy to set up, especially if you're into surface plants, but it works pretty well.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 02:59:24 am »

I use minecart QSPs for most food, but I use a different setup for seeds to get the convenience of barrels while minimizing cancel spam. Each type of seed that I'm going to farm gets a 1x2 stockpile that only allows that seed, and only allows one barrel. So most of the time, there's one seed sitting outside of the barrel, and even if the barrel's in use, a farmer can still plant a seed. It's kind of fussy to set up, especially if you're into surface plants, but it works pretty well.
Since seeds are stored in bags, I wouldn't expect there to be much need for barrels? I typically have two seed stockpiles, one for underground crops and one for surface ones. The surface seed stockpile gets fairly big at something like 15*15 eventually, because I typically hack my embarks to have every brewable plant possible, so there are a lot of different kinds of seeds, and I forbid mixing of food in my stockpiles.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 03:53:23 am »

Huh, so planting seed stockpiles with don't mix food guarantees there's going be only 1 kind of seed inside, but it can be any seed? That's neat, then.

The point of the barrel is to take a bag from adjacent stockpile tile, I think. No-barrel, it might fill up with a bag on each tile, I guess? Then there might be times both bags get tasked, but the seed will be only touched by farmer.

It's an alternative to feeder piles, I guess.

I'm not sure milk rots. Booze doesn't (why I give my military waterskins but not backpacks).

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2019, 02:30:04 pm »

Food will not rot while inside a container, inside the depot, or in a stockpile (this is in the wiki and observable). Regarding vermin, there were posts in the past saying that vermin do reduce stored food, that barrels protect partially verse vermin, that large pots protect better, and iirc these posts referred to previous science posts. More recently, it has been observed that wood containers fall apart after 400 years, so previous food science involving wood barrels versus rock pots might have falsely shown barrels to be worse at protecting food, because any food loss study would involve many years and wood barrels might have protected less over the years as they became worn.

A Refuse/Item_type stockpile is a good way to get rotten food and rotten raw skins out of a fort. Set it up to take most items except Fresh_Raw_Hide, Raw_Fish, and disable metal items. All the rotten stuff and XX items will be put there..
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?