Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Interplanetary Arms Race  (Read 5091 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interplanetary Arms Race
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2019, 08:18:36 am »

Side Two is clearly twice as good as Side One.
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2019, 09:36:39 am »

A question came up in Side 2 about unrealistic materials/phlebotinum-type stuff that lets you do things you can't normally do. I'm going to allow some of that, though note that that is generally going to be accompanied by some difficulty and cost penalties, in exchange for allowing you to do things normally not physically possible.

Such things would be created in a design, generally one that also makes a practical piece of tech (for instance, some fancy new material in a fancy new gun), and would have some defined characteristics you can use to bend physics in your desired fashion.

Obviously I'd review any given instance to tell you whether it's possible or not, and until the first battle report I'll be happy to give you a rough idea of the difficulty of a given concept.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2019, 10:08:52 am »

Joining Side One.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177472.0
Roll to Multitask, seeking new players.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.
This really happened. 2020 was wild.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2019, 12:22:16 pm »

I shall join side one

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2019, 12:52:44 pm »

Side 2.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2019, 02:40:42 pm »

Some more clarifications regarding lore, faction names, designs, difficulty, and all that sort of stuff:

There will be a lore contest coming up, wherein you guys try to outdo each other with the most interesting and well-made backstory for your faction. Each faction should probably try to decide in this first turn on a name and a rough idea of what you are, then start writing a story about it. The best (best, not necessarily longest) story will win a Research Credit (roll 3d4 on a design, take highest two rolls).

I won't REQUIRE you to have a faction name decided by the end of this turn, but it'd probably make it pretty hard to comprehensively describe your faction in time if you, y'know, haven't made any decisions.

As for backstories, as I ended up telling Team 1 on Discord, you can write almost whatever you want. You want to be aliens, sure! We can retcon the colony ships travelling together, I don't care. You want to be robots? Absolutely. Just note that no matter what you pick, you will gain no advantages from it, nor will you gain disadvantages. Yes, that means your robots will require spacesuits, and that your methane-breathing aliens will be just as happy on that earthlike central planet as the opposing team's humans breathing oxygen.

The GM takes no responsibility for any confusion that may ensue.

As for when the first design is going to happen, it's going to happen whenever you guys figure out what you want to do. So yeah, get planning, get voting, and let's get to the part where I get to cackle incessantly as I describe your failures. That is a thing GMs get to do, right?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2019, 03:49:43 pm »

I count 8 posts siding with side 1, and 7 for side 2.
I may be miscounting.
But nonetheless, side 2.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2019, 07:55:30 pm »

Side ONE

Edit, changed team, based on player balance.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 08:02:32 pm by Carefulrogue »
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2019, 10:34:06 am »

Side 2

Obviously the better side.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2019, 03:40:07 pm »

Both sides need to settle voting on their second design, and both could definitely use a more decisive vote for their team name.

Once the design votes are pretty well set I'll move on with the first designs, if names take a little longer to hammer out I have no problem waiting for that vote to be finished.

I'd expect that the earliest possible designs will be tomorrow morning, just to ensure that everybody is properly happy and/or unhappy with the direction their team is going to start out with.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2019, 02:08:44 pm »

First design results are up! Now moving into the first revision phase, you have two revisions. Don't screw up.

Questorhank

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll find something to put here... eventually
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2019, 10:13:17 pm »

Is this still joinable?
If so, Side 1.
RTD Graveyard
Many people have gone missing or died.
I don't remember their names.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2019, 10:31:21 pm »

Is this still joinable?
If so, Side 1.
Should be. Come on over.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2019, 09:24:46 am »

Absolutely. You can join this game until it's over, and I suppose you can join it after that, too, though why you'd want to is beyond me.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2019, 09:07:15 am »

Would you look at that it's almost like an UPDATE.

It's now Turn 0. Start getting the meat of your lore put together, would ya? I want to know your histories, your different groups in your culture, and more.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4