Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Interplanetary Arms Race  (Read 5035 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Interplanetary Arms Race
« on: July 02, 2019, 09:37:30 pm »

Welcome to Interplanetary Arms Race.

Well, I must’ve finally gone completely off into the deep end---I seem to have started an Arms Race. This is going to be a sci-fi AR and the rules and equipment might look suspiciously like the rules from NUKE’s Battle for Aljadid. I’ll leave you to figure out why that may be. I promise that plagiarism was only involved for 97.264% of this, and only a few lies involved in the fabrication of the other 19% of the game. Credit to Chiefwaffles for the original idea, NUKE for hammering it out into a truly excellent and long-lasting game that is totally still going, and thanks to both of them as well as every other great AR GM for inspiring me to start an Arms Race only to inevitably never finish it finally stop being lazy and become a GM myself. Prepare for plenty of suffering, and remember that it’s really all their fault in the end.

Introduction
Welcome to a solar system. It’s got a lengthy numeric designation in some Earthly databank you’re sure, but you don’t care. It’s your solar system now. You’ve stopped talking to those naysayers back on Earth. “Oh, interstellar colonization might be hard”, they said, “The radiation would do too much damage to your brains! It’s impossible!” Well, you’ve showed them. Two massive fleets of ships came all the way out here and colonized two different planets (cannibalizing their ships in the process), paving the way for the expansion of humanity across the stars.

And then something happened. (It’ll be up to you to decide what exactly happened to your colony.) Before each colony could begin producing spacecraft of their own, something happened to each planet that prevented them from contacting the other colony and producing spacecraft. Contact was reestablished some years ago, and you just can’t get over the terrible choice they made over in the other colony.

You just can’t believe what they decided to name the star system.

It’s been years, but finally you are prepared to do something other than insult them over the long-range radio. You are ready to gear up for war and destroy the other colony. There’s no other way to settle your differences with such people. They’re savages, after all.

Spoiler: Play Loop (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Difficulties and Rolls (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Costs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Units and Equipment (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Starter Tech (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Pick a team and get to work! Remember: Do not look in the other team’s thread, and try not to get too salty at your team. Remember that your teammates want the same thing as you do---to enjoy this game (if such a thing can even be possible with me as your GM). It’s not how you ended up on the bottom of the pile of corpses, it’s about the fun you had setting the planet on fire before you got there.

The Network (Side One) Thread
Planetary Technate (Side Two) Thread
Discord
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 10:19:47 pm by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Wozzy

• Bay Watcher
  • Do you like waffles?
    • View Profile
Re: Interplanetary Arms Race
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 09:44:52 pm »

Gonna have to go with side 2 here.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 09:45:22 pm »

Shit I wanted to be the asshole to join first but be team 2. Team 1 it is then.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 09:47:13 pm »

Sure why not, Team Side 2

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 09:50:04 pm »

Side 1
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 09:55:01 pm »

Side one then
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 09:59:56 pm »

As everyone knows, one is the loneliest number. Therefore, I join two.

Avanti!

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 10:15:04 pm »

Throwing in for 2.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2019, 10:16:22 pm »

Now with Discord!

Now you can communicate your salty demands for your foolish teammates to just see reason in real time!
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

TheRedwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Pagan Desert Bitch (she/they)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2019, 10:25:50 pm »

Side 1

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2019, 10:39:04 pm »

Forgot something relevant to both factions as you begin to think about who you are and what your first designs are going to be:

Your military leaders really want to see a combat-capable spaceship within the next three years (i.e., by the Turn 1 revision phase ends, right before your first Strategy Phase starts), and will reward you with a Research Credit (roll 3d4 on a design, take the two highest) if you can produce it by then.

TOTALLY SNEAKY EDIT:
Do note that your first engines are speed 1. You are not going anywhere very fast right now, on account of needing to conserve fuel. Also note that I don't want the first combat report to involve the words "side x met side y, but side x had no warships and just died."
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 10:46:42 pm by Madman198237 »

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 12:02:25 am »

I'll join side 2 because it is currently smaller, going by post numbers.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2019, 12:27:15 am »

I will be Side 1

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2019, 06:04:58 am »

Side 1, because I had a dream where Madman put me in side 2 to even the numbers and thus I join the other out of spite.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2019, 06:27:02 am »

Here
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4