Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 25

Author Topic: Interplanetary Arms Race: The Network  (Read 26363 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: Interplanetary Arms Race: Side One
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2019, 09:37:03 pm »

Arguments against 3D foundry and CRISP: they are both extremely easy, and revision material.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2019, 09:57:28 pm »

Semi Autonomous Industrial Facilities:
An ambitious up-scaling of our industrial capability that has not yet been done until now, the SAIF represents a huge shift in design and production philosophy. Effectively network a large, semi-automated factories (Crewed by robots with human overseers) connected by high-speed rail to mines and processing facilities, the paradigm shift the network represents is a massive change to our production capabilities; no longer will we rely on 3D printers to make unsafe weaponry at a sluggish rate or be as harshly restricted in manpower for our industrial production. We will ground our foes to dust under the bootheel of superior industrial might. (Ground Production Facility)

Quote from: VoteBox
ORIGIN:
Twin's First Proposal (Medula's Log): (2) Carefulrogue, Taricus
Twin's Second Proposal (Death World): (3) Twinwolf, Doomblade, TFF
Odyssey of Steel: (2) MoP, Powder Miner

DESIGN (x2):
3D Foundry: (3) Twinwolf, TheRedwolf, Carefulrogue
Composite Bath Factories: (0)
CRISP: (2) MoP, Powder Miner
Magnetic Flechette Rifle: (6) Twinwolf, MoP, TheRedwolf, TFF, Doomblade, Powder Miner
E-YES: (1) Nirur
Steeljay: (1) Nirur
OOPS: (1) Doomblade
NASH: (1) Carefulrogue
SAIF: (1) Taricus
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 10:33:29 pm by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2019, 10:07:20 pm »

Quote from: VoteBoTTTTTT
ORIGIN:
Medula's Log: (2) Carefulrogue, Taricus
Death World: (3) Twinwolf, Doomblade, TFF

DESIGN (x2):
3D Foundry: (3) Twinwolf, TheRedwolf, Carefulrogue
[http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=174213.msg7991465#msg7991465]Composite Bath Factories[/url]: (0)
CRISP: (1) Powder Miner
Magnetic Flechette Rifle: (6) Twinwolf, MoP, TheRedwolf, TFF, Doomblade, Powder Miner
OOPS: (2) Doomblade, MoP
SAIF: (1) Taricus

While the 3D foundry is definitely a revision-level thing thanks to word of god stating it's absolute simplicity, a component such as CRISP could have a significant impact across multiple systems that generate heat (generators, capacitors, weapons, my rap game), and due to it's intent to be used across a wide variety of things at a bunch of sizes, could benefit from getting Design-level effort. For some reason people tend not to be happy with designs that reach harder difficulties, but also don't want to take steps at Easy. Modifiers can be good, my guys. I mean, look at the Salviosi Sleds >_>

To argue robots over humans, chances are the other team are going to be human people. Chances are they're also mulling over the same type of backstories we are. We were originally given the same start and end points, and we all come from the same corner of the internet. Most of us are very familiar with my frustrations with samesieness. It also opens up some interesting doors regarding fluff and narrative. Also a good Rogue AI can make the best game of Spacestation 13 ever. As madman stated too, it's for flavor. Both teams guys will require the same basic needs for whatever reasons. It may also give us a leg up in lore contests if we're not the same shit as our opponents.

Also vote robots because I added urls to the votebot.

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2019, 10:09:18 pm »

ORIGIN:
Twin's First Proposal (Medula's Log): (2) Carefulrogue, Taricus
Twin's Second Proposal (Death World): (3) Twinwolf, Doomblade, TFF

DESIGN (x2):
3D Foundry: (2) Twinwolf, TheRedwolf
CRISP: (2) MoP, Powder Miner
OOPS: (1) Doomblade
SAIF: (2) Taricus, Carefulrogue
Switched vote to SAIF
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2019, 10:12:47 pm »

ORIGIN:

DESIGN (x2):
SAIF: (2) Taricus, Carefulrogue

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2019, 10:37:26 pm »

NASH, while possible, will not be easy. You don't have the capability to refine large amounts of uranium or to produce plutonium to create large numbers of normal nuclear weaponry. It will also be SUBSTANTIALLY nerfed compared to real life. You will not be using nuclear-bomb tricks to make every form of armor invalid instantaneously, fun though that might be.

So yes, you may do NASH and it will explode and stuff, but it will be expensive for sure and won't be an instant "I win" button if you get it pointed at the enemy ship...unless they make a REALLY big mistake.

Also please oh please oh please describe your designs a little more comprehensively. If it can be summed up in two sentences it's probably not a really interesting and useful design (unless it's two really bad run-on sentences, I guess)
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2019, 12:21:56 am »

ORIGIN:
Odyssey of Steel: (3) MoP, Powder Miner, Rockeater

DESIGN (x2):
SAIF: (3) Taricus, Carefulrogue, Rockeater
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2019, 09:20:23 am »

I feel like odyssey of steel is the least interesting of the ways to implement a robot focus. If robots had to be involved, I'd aim for something like Stellaris' caretaker-type robots - We want to help humans, but they just can't be trusted to preserve themselves so we have to take charge. Go be comfortable and leave anything of importance to us. Make any captives taken from the enemy just not want to leave. I might actually vote for that kind of thing (and write it up if nobody else does). Just "corrupt data = attack the humans" is boring.

Besides that, I don't think there's anything inherently boring about playing as humans - there are a lot of ways that they can be played. I like the idea of a twist on the standard authoritarian sci fi - instead of just being evil, they honestly think that order and stability are important, just doing what they believe is right rather than power grabbing. For the death world, I like the idea of basically turning into a planet of survivalists - the world is trying to kill us, so we fight back. Basically Planet Australia.

My main issue, honestly, is with the idea of having a faction 100% robots. You can do a lot with interactions between humans and robots. What is there to do with 100% robots, where nobody really fights because they've all got the same kind of programming?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2019, 10:51:51 am »

What you can do with 100% robots is explore the way in which their non-human approach to things — and its flaws — affects their decisions and the consequences thereof. Instead of a Man vs Man, it becomes kind of a (Robo)Man vs Nature — how do beings like this deal with the worlds around them? That’s what I like about the Odyssey of Steel concept, it applies a wholly new perspective to the game of Arms Race as a whole.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2019, 11:21:39 am »

ORIGIN:
Medula's Log: (1) Carefulrogue
Death World: (4) Twinwolf, Doomblade, TFF, Taricus

DESIGN (x2):

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2019, 12:02:53 pm »

ORIGIN:
Medula's Log: (0)
Death World: (5) Twinwolf, Doomblade, TFF, Taricus, Carefulrogue

DESIGN (x2):
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2019, 04:52:58 pm »

Quote from: Rise of Machines
Many speculate how "life" started for The Network. Some believe it was created by a Programmer, others say it evolved from single-byte units, or that it's all a simulation within a simulation, ad infinitum. Either way, The Network came to be and spread across their home planet, inhabiting every nook and cranny they could over tens of thousands of years. These bipedal machine-beings leveraged their higher processing power than other types of units on the planet to become the dominant hardware on the planet. Tools, clothes, and eventually weapons were invented by the greatest processors The Network had to offer.

As time went on different variations of The Network's hardware formed unique mutations of the original programming. These "nations" claimed physical space on their home planet and conflict arose as variants inevitably sought to purge the faulty programming neighboring them. Inevitably a single program proved superior. Hardware supporting this program were largely peaceful once their wars were won, though Firmware forces were installed in territories experiencing various types of unrest.

The Network, now beginning to maximize potential output of their home planet, developed the ability to travel through the vacuum of space. Having identified a number of systems housing planets capable of sustaining their hardware, The Network focused efforts on the proliferation of their species in the cosmos. One of the colony ships sent to spread the influence of The Network landed on a planet in the Asus System (named for a god in old Networkian mythology) designated to be The Hub.

One of the other two planets considered for The Hub designation is currently experiencing a disturbing increase in [rogue hardware/foreign organic growth/fungal blooms/whatever fits what the enemy team does] and caution is advised as The Network expands.

So for summary it's the history of life but robots instead (think that episode of Futurama, actually). The species is The Network, the planet is The Hub, and we're in the Asus System. Not going to swap votes until there's some input. This lets us get the best of both worlds and also promotes wordplay for nerds.

ORIGIN:
Death World: (5) Twinwolf, Doomblade, TFF, Taricus, Carefulrogue
Rise of Machines:

DESIGN (x2):

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2019, 09:44:39 pm »

I like this robutt method better, yes.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2019, 12:39:13 pm »

Industrial Multiplex:
An ambitious up-scaling of our industrial capability that has not yet been done until now, the IM represents a huge shift in design and production philosophy. Effectively a network of semi-automated factories (Crewed by robots with human overseers) connected by high-capacity rail to mines, chemical plants, and processing facilities, the paradigm shift the network represents is a massive change to our production capabilities. The factories are specialized for a single type of manufacturing: heavy forging, rolling and casting, high tolerance machining, 3d-printing enabled die-making facilities, composite lay-up and curing facilities, and specialized metal and composite 3d-printing. (Ground Production Facility)

ORIGIN:
Death World: (4) Twinwolf, TFF, Taricus, Carefulrogue
Odyssey of Steel: (4) MoP, Powder Miner, Rockeater, Doomblade
Rise of Machines:

DESIGN (x2):
OOPS: (1) MoP
IM: (1) Doomblade
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 01:01:07 pm by Doomblade187 »

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2019, 01:42:00 pm »

ORIGIN:
Death World: (4) Twinwolf, TFF, Taricus, Carefulrogue
Odyssey of Steel: (4) MoP, Powder Miner, Rockeater, Doomblade
Rise of Machines:

DESIGN (x2):
OOPS: (1) MoP
SAIF: (4) Taricus, Carefulrogue, Rockeater, TFF
IM: (1) Doomblade

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 25