Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25

Author Topic: Interplanetary Arms Race: The Network  (Read 25896 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Interplanetary Arms Race: The Network
« on: July 02, 2019, 09:41:23 pm »

Interplanetary Arms Race: The Network

Welcome to Side One. Your first task will be to pick a name for your faction, because your GM is far too lazy to do so. After that, you have three turns to build up your starting lineup of equipment before you’ll issue your first move orders and begin the war.

During the first two turns (-1, 0) there will be no combat, you will get two designs and two revisions per turn, and you will be tasked with building up your faction’s military using. Your GM will NOT be telling you how to do this. Win this war however you want to.

On Turn 1, all construction will be instantaneous and able to move immediately. During the preliminary turns, and stretching into the later turns, you will also be tasked with coming up with lore for your faction. You may start doing that at any point---early creations will be usable in any later competitions (unless they’ve already been used in a competition).

Spoiler: Starter Tech (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Logistics (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Core Thread

You have three turns (two of which are double turns, i.e. 2 designs, 2 revisions) to get your affairs in order before the war begins. Try not to embarrass your colony too badly, would you?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 12:12:05 pm by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: Interplanetary Arms Race: Side One
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 09:55:59 pm »

FLUFFERGLITTER

We are the United Federation of Friends
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 09:58:26 pm »

Firstly, we're going to need better weapons for our troops, secondly, we're going to need better transports.

Thirdly, we're going to need shit that can deal with extreme heat if we want to actually make use of the volcanic planet.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 09:59:34 pm »

Looks like we might want some solid infrastructure for ship construction/deployment. Also ships for construction/deployment. Infantry weapons and/or protection, too. Maybe training for our infantry to give a boost to some area of performance as opposed to a general upgrade as well. Something to keep in mind that would be good to focus on, perhaps even enough to take up a whole design, would be a component like an Engine or Heat Sinks. Stuff like engines or power supplies or whatnot could always use a solid base, and means we have at least a reliable component (barring a bad roll) to work with across the board. I mention heat sinks specifically though because without an atmosphere (i.e. space, one of our closest planets) or a hot environment (the other closest planet), things like vehicles and weaponry can suffer from heat buildup. It's also a thing most teams don't decide to make a focus, and maybe we can try working hard on utility?

I'll come up with a name and basic lore suggestion in a second, got to poop and it's clouding my brain but my fiancee's bathing and I'm not a total dick.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 10:21:18 pm »

Nebula Mag-Drive

By modifying the conductivity and polarity of a large electromagnet constructed from carbon fiber cord impregnated with rare-earth magnetic alloys, we can amplify the magnetic force exerted on the attached ship by feeding extra current to the magnet and use the resulting force as propulsion. The magnets come in pairs for maximum steering and control.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

TheRedwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Pagan Desert Bitch (she/they)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 10:29:33 pm »

3D Foundry
The Improvement of 3D printing technology to utilize Metal is of Utmost importance if we want to mass produce any reliable weapon.

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 10:34:16 pm »

I be here.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 10:42:15 pm »

Thoughts on drive tech?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2019, 10:49:00 pm »

Fission/Fusion powered Ion drive would be our best bet in terms of viability.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2019, 11:04:44 pm »

Composite Bath Factories

Space age tech needs space age manufacturing. A bath of composite material in liquid form is solidified via a laser of variable wavelength, pulled up from the bath by an above mount. This technology is designed to be scalable to produce components with metals and of varying sizes.

This is based on a real-life 3d printing method where polymers are solidified via laser.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 11:08:21 pm by Doomblade187 »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2019, 11:08:52 pm »

Coolant Radiator Integrated Systems Protocol (CRISP)

With great power comes great responsibility, often in the form of maintenance. CRISP is less of a single system and more a method of providing increased reliability across multiple types of equipment, at least in regard to issues regarding thermal build-up, as well as a small level of comfort for (sealed) vehicle crews. Systems expected to generate significant heat are constructed to allow the easy installation of a number of pipes that circulate a thermally conductive gel through the component to a radiator in a small air chamber. The chamber is hooked up to the vehicle's ventilation and is purged once the air temperature reaches a predetermined threshold based on both the equipment and environment).

While it's not going to be small, if we do something along these lines before anything else we can build around that size. And hell, maybe it rolls high enough to be an extremely compact system? Either way, not too much detail here since my knowledge of thermodynamics in space is fairly limited. Also, my knowledge of engineering in general. Also, my knowledge in general.

Re: manufacturing and infrastructure
I think an autonomous AI could be a good start. Or something that we can work into as a ship AI not unlike Andromeda's Andromeda, or Mass Effect's EDI. I can understand not wanting to have yet another faction in an arms race trying AI though.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2019, 11:11:56 pm »

Hm. Right now, I think I'd probably rate Composite Bath Factories as a Hard design. This is a fairly serious investment of engineering work and materials for your little planet, as well as technologies they don't have, but that are realistic, not super futuristic, and not super difficult to reinvent assuming you know *of* them but not the exact methods of applying the technology.

I would, however, prefer more detail on the goals of the project. More detail in general doesn't hurt---two sentence proposals don't give me a lot to go off of.

CRISP: Totally possible, logical, and an Easy design as it reads. This is logical, simple, and probably ultimately a modification to preexisting tech.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2019, 11:30:08 pm »

Well, we could likely do crisp in a revision as it stands, which is actually pretty neat.

But for our industrial design, I feel like we need to get something that's a lot more... effective. I mean the baths would be fine as a component, but we kinda need more than just that.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2019, 11:51:08 pm »

Here, how soft the sci-fi is?
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2019, 11:55:14 pm »

Here, how soft the sci-fi is?
GM will grade our designs to let us gauge.

Tari, the manufacturing method lets us make any 3D object of varying size anf composition. Including metallic composites. Is plenty effective. Only major concern I have is speed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25