Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Communicable Diseases  (Read 3047 times)

PineMarten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarven Endeavours
Communicable Diseases
« on: July 06, 2019, 03:22:27 pm »

I think it would be really cool if communicable diseases other than the infections and miasma we currently have were implemented into Dwarf Fortress. The symptoms of these diseases could be randomly generated. These diseases could range from minor colds that  would incapacitate a dwarf for a few days to plagues that could wipe out entire settlements. Each disease could spread a different way. For instance, you could have some diseases spread through the venom of cave spiders or bees. Diseases could affect different species with some affecting all sentient races, and others only affecting specific animals. These diseases could have procedurally generated names like "Orange Pox" or "Sheep's Scourge". Diseases could also affect crops, like the potato blight but for plump helmets. There is so much room for creativity here. Some diseases could have more exotic, or magical effects on their victims, like turning them into a different animal or making them grow extra limbs. Historically plagues and diseases have played an enormously important role in the growth and decline of civilizations. There is no reason to think that this wouldn't also occur in a medieval fantasy world. There are just so many interesting possibilities. It would add a whole new layer to the game!

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: Communicable Diseases
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 05:08:38 pm »

I could be mistaken, but aren't infectious diseases already in the works for the longer term? Thought I remembered Toady bringing it up somewhere.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

PineMarten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarven Endeavours
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 06:38:02 pm »

Oh, sorry. If that's true I wasn't aware of it.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 06:46:38 pm »

Like I said, I could be wrong. Doesn't hurt to have it as a suggestion anyway. :)
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

MachoNacho

• Bay Watcher
  • pug
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 11:56:10 am »

I want a disease that turns dwarves into mushrooms.
pug

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 03:52:32 pm »

I could be mistaken, but aren't infectious diseases already in the works for the longer term? Thought I remembered Toady bringing it up somewhere.

True, but that does not stop us discussing how it should be implemented.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 04:20:11 pm »

Indeed not. Like I acknowledged in my last post, it's helpful to have as a thread.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 12:52:26 am »

better yet, plump helmet men

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 07:07:42 pm »

We could use the same framework as the one used for syndromes.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 06:46:56 am »

A lot of that comes down to how unpleasant and how magical the world is.  Diseases will be rather interesting in a magical world and rather nasty in an unpleasant world; actually I would say that disease is almost the only way to make a truly hyper-nasty world.

We could use the same framework as the one used for syndromes.

I don't think that is a good idea.  The syndrome system works well for poisons, but we cannot use to for diseases unless we want to go down the route of actually modelling the clouds of microbes going about the place.

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019, 08:40:54 am »

The syndrome system would work just fine for handling the symptoms of a disease, but the transmission part is a bit more difficult, as ideally it would happen among both civ-pop and histfigs.

Diseases will need their own raws that describe how they interact with non-historical population and what syndrome it results in should it come in contact with a historical figure. Syndromes themselves will also need to be retooled to allow them to be transmittable in various ways.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

MachoNacho

• Bay Watcher
  • pug
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2019, 10:03:20 am »

Here.
pug

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2019, 10:06:35 am »

The syndrome system would work just fine for handling the symptoms of a disease, but the transmission part is a bit more difficult, as ideally it would happen among both civ-pop and histfigs.

Diseases will need their own raws that describe how they interact with non-historical population and what syndrome it results in should it come in contact with a historical figure. Syndromes themselves will also need to be retooled to allow them to be transmittable in various ways.

I think the way to do this is to create an invisible group of infectible folks that recruits a new member whenever a new individual comes into contact with it's members.  Periodically we infect new members of the group with the disease and add an immunity trait to those we do not choose in this manner.  I guess we would also cull immune members from the group every so often, so we end up with a spread of disease immunity.  What we end in essence is to have a means to keep folks that have no contact with infected people from catching the disease, that accounts for immunity and which prevents us having to actually model the actual microbes going about the place.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2019, 12:43:37 am »

Take "miasma" and give it the random properties of an "evil fog".  Make sure bodies will rot and have miasma regardless if they are underground or up top, if the random effect creates undead zombies, so be it.  There's a reason "cleanliness is next to godliness"
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2019, 08:28:03 am »

I thought cleanliness was next to godliness because God was clean, turns out it's because if you aren't clean you'll start summoning undead zombies
Pages: [1] 2