Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Flags, Banners, Tapestries and Simplified Blazonry

(1/3) > >>

VABritto:
If this suggestion was already made, please tell me and I will delete this thread.

I was searching through the DF Wiki and I noticed there were no physical flags in DF. So I thought about suggesting it (and other things that I thought because of it).

The first thing would be the flag/banner + flagpole themselves. I think it would be interesting if we could have banners actually being held by dwarves into combat to increase morale and decrease the chance of fleeing. You could choose to put whatever image on the banner (or let it be random), or choose that it be the fortress or civ symbol. You could hang it on walls and on entrances to your fortress (similar to how you can carve walls, but these banners could be removed and the wall restored). I think it could be nice in a roleplay perspective and would give something else to do with textile which is nice [I like to raise sheep in my fortresses lol].

Tapestries would also be interesting, since with them we could adorn the walls of our fortresses with randomly generated things like when you carve it on a wall, but you could also remove it and relocate it to make more "themed" rooms and even sell these tapestries as part of the textile industry.

Finally, I'd like to suggest a simplified form of Blazonry for the description of symbols in game. I don't mean a revamp on the descriptions or anything. More like I think it would be nice if some key words or formats can be introduced in addition to what we already have so that a person could technically make something akin to Blazonry (aka Heraldic description) in their fort symbol. An example of that would be to add the word "field" and an interaction of something being "on" a field. Also letting everything in the description be colorable so one could for example say "a golden lion on a red field". That would basically be a golden lion with a red background, in Heraldry, but it can also be pretty easily understood simply as a literal lion on a literal field, making it flexible and understandable for whoever reads it. With that, one could also add a bit more descriptive positions and stances.

The DF Team definitely have a lot more important things to do now, but I thought it would be nice to throw this suggestion out here in case they ever see it and maybe, if they find it a good idea, to put it on their to do list for any time in the future lol

Shonai_Dweller:
Devotes (old version, but content still applies):

--- Quote ---Bloat165, WALL HANGINGS AND RUGS, (Future): Rugs, tapestries, paintings, etc. This leads to things like paint and pigments. The player's skin could hang in the goblin fortress in the same way. It could even be improved like dwarf items. Requires Core43
--- End quote ---

(The game has been around for 15 years or so, anything reasonable you can think of has already been suggested. So, yes, there are other suggestions threads (search function brings up several on tapestries, not so much on blazonry at first glance). No need to delete this one though. New ideas for old suggestions just adds ideas to the pool in the hope of a fully fleshed-out implementation someday - best to necro a thread and add ideas there if it's possible though).

GoblinCookie:
Presently the game selects a random creature, plant or shape to create symbology for civs and site governments.  Flags are a problem because they aren't very practical underground and they do not presently have any mechanical use.  They sound like something elves and humans would use though, the probable reason for their absence is that the game does not focus on these.

VABritto:

--- Quote from: GoblinCookie on July 14, 2019, 06:07:39 am ---Presently the game selects a random creature, plant or shape to create symbology for civs and site governments.  Flags are a problem because they aren't very practical underground and they do not presently have any mechanical use.  They sound like something elves and humans would use though, the probable reason for their absence is that the game does not focus on these.

--- End quote ---

Engravings also can't really be seen underground, to be fair, so that is kind of a moot point. We either don't need either or we could use both. I prefer to be able to use both because I find them both interesting and fun. I also understand why some might see it as culturally specific, but I personally can't see it as such because flags and banners are pretty useful and present in most developed cultures. Also, they are cool lol

GoblinCookie:

--- Quote from: VABritto on July 21, 2019, 11:49:37 pm ---Engravings also can't really be seen underground, to be fair, so that is kind of a moot point. We either don't need either or we could use both. I prefer to be able to use both because I find them both interesting and fun. I also understand why some might see it as culturally specific, but I personally can't see it as such because flags and banners are pretty useful and present in most developed cultures. Also, they are cool lol

--- End quote ---

They can be felt underground. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version