Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Land wars 2: Electric boogaloo  (Read 6322 times)

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
Re: Land wars 2: Electric boogaloo
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2019, 08:53:15 am »

Gosh, I really do wish the deadline could be moved back some. Like, I'd really rather try out any of my six other ideas than just bring the Cookies back(though admittedly I do have some new options to work with for them), but I'm legitimately not sure it's even possible for me to make a new map I'd be happy with in the time that's been given, and that's not even including the time encessary to actually come up with all the ideas for the sheet itself.
+1
it's over

TheRedwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Pagan Desert Bitch (she/they)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2019, 12:06:09 pm »

Fair enuff

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2019, 03:15:44 pm »

Alright, I want some input on this. I've got a total of six different factions I want to play, and I can't quite decide on which one I want the most.

First: The Kingdom of Hallownest, from Hollow Knight. I have most of the stuff for it written already, but the main problems are two-fold; 1. Hallownest is a kingdom built vertically(downwards specifically) rather than horizontally, which works awkwardly with mapping, and 2. I don't really know how the Pale King would act, so I'm not sure how well I could play him.

Second: The Jenny Rich Monsteur Clan, from Ittle Dew. Not decided between Force or Industry focus. An entire army of identical purple-skinned girls in (often silly) costumes. Unit design is easy, but I have no idea what the hell their Supplies would be, other than maybe magic artifacts?

Third: The Crimson Court, based on Darkest Dungeon(but not the same as the DD Crimson Court). A collection of mutants who all uniformly and without fail crave the flesh of other sapient beings above all else. The leading group is Darkest Dungeon based insectoid-vampires, but there's also Pig Men, Psycho vampire fairies, and Fish People. One of their Supplies would have to be the Curse, but I'm not sure how it would work mechanically. There would be a lot of inviting randoms from the other civs over to 'balls' and 'galas', which are exactly what they claim to be, but the guests are more than likely going to be eaten before they get there, and the ones who aren't will come out of it having the curse. Inspired by this song

Fourth: The Kingdom of Cherrystone, from Wargroove. Almost certainly the easiest to make, because the sprites for all the map-stuff have practically been made for me, and all the units(at first at least) will be based on ones from the game. I even know exactly what the Supplies would be. I'm mostly just not certain how interested I am in playing them.

Fifth: The Felheim Legion, also from Wargroove. A sparse and snow filled land united under a necromantic ruler, where the dead and living co-exist in harmony. A much friendlier place than literally everything you just read would lead you to believe. I know what the units, hero, and one of the Supplies would be. The main problem is that I don't know what the other Supply would be, like at all. Also has sprites pre-made to use in the map. More interested in this one than Cherrystone at least.

Sixth: Horrorvale, from the game Horrorvale. A land where every single last native being is undead. Not even the objects are necessarily exempt. Blood flows like water, candy is money, and death is but a setback. And I mean that literally, every single thing from Horrorvale just kinda respawns if they're killed. All heroes are going to come weakened in terms of power to try and make this fair of course, the main question is just, would it even be allowed even with the nerfs to go with it?
This is the one I want to play the most, and there wouldn't be a question about it, if it wasn't for that whole 'respawning' issue. Yeah I could just get rid of it, but that removes a major part of what defines Horrorvales culture, that being the fact that death is just annoying. Necromancy is a big thing as well though, so I... suppose that could somewhat mitigate the whole 'no respawn means it's not really Horrorvale' issue. It's also the most recent idea by far, so it's almost completely unwritten and thus would take the longest.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2019, 03:58:10 pm »

Damn, that's a lot. You can come up with six new kingdoms, yet I, the guy who brought LW to Bay12, can't think of any.
it's over

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2019, 04:06:46 pm »

Damn, that's a lot. You can come up with six new kingdoms, yet I, the guy who brought LW to Bay12, can't think of any.
To be fair, they're pretty much all taken from existing fiction, and I've been cooking some of these ideas up since before the first game.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2019, 12:14:04 am »

Welp sent in my sheet... I made a lot of lore too...Also, Failbird, curse you, now I'm listening to that one song you posted a link to non stop...
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2019, 12:13:38 pm »

Well, pretty much done writing up my sheet. Just need to make the map, which shouldn't actually be too hard.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2019, 01:08:13 pm »

Wonder how many people have made any sheets...Also curios what maps people made...
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2019, 08:00:33 pm »

Well, my map is coming along fairly nicely so far. Making use of what few reference images I have to go off of I've begun assembling a map of Horrorvale.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is only a small chunk of the full map, and the sprite for Horrorvale city itself, taken directly from the game, has been cut down to fit better. Though, after having just now remembered the scale of the map, I feel like I may not have actually needed to cut it down any, and that various parts of it could be moved outwards some.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2019, 09:17:14 pm »

Wonder how many people have made any sheets...Also curios what maps people made...

For starters you have one guy (me) who can't come up with a sheet to save his own life.
it's over

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2019, 10:34:05 am »

Alright, I finally managed to get a sheet written out, but it's gonna take some time before I can get a main map. Bear with me.
it's over

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2019, 01:54:19 pm »

And guess who just realized that I ended up making a major part of my map be 0.12 miles lengthwise which means it would be only 6 pixels long. Might have to upscale it by 2-3x for the sake of said major part being actually noticeable and not a 2 digit amount of pixels worth of solid color, so I resized it to be 30x18 width/height.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 01:55:52 pm by 0cra_tr0per »
it's over

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2019, 02:19:03 pm »

Sheet made, sending via PM.

I also just realized I was apparently capable of making the mountain coloring the exact same as the Dark theme's background.

Oh, and if anyone missed the Land Wars 1 discord before it snowballed into-well, what happens in the LW1 disc stays in the LW1 disc, the new disc link is https://discord.gg/P8Qe4zh.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 02:33:13 pm by 0cra_tr0per »
it's over

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2019, 03:20:33 pm »

I've got the map underway, but I'm realizing I have a problem where I know very well what a small portion of the map is, and have no clue what the rest is like in the slightest. I've got a portion of the map that's 2 Square miles tall and a bit more than 3 wide, but I have no idea what to do with the empty space.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2019, 03:25:08 pm »

I've got the map underway, but I'm realizing I have a problem where I know very well what a small portion of the map is, and have no clue what the rest is like in the slightest. I've got a portion of the map that's 2 Square miles tall and a bit more than 3 wide, but I have no idea what to do with the empty space.

Just put whatever you want in the empty space.
it's over
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8