Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Favourite DF defense design inspired from real world?  (Read 3990 times)

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: Favourite DF defense design inspired from real world?
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2019, 11:03:21 am »

I had a gate house design where the trade depot had two bridges at either side, and was surrounded by a moat that only connected to my 'sewage system'(a pathway where water is led away from the washing area). I have rarely had fun syndromes though, so never had any story with invaders wandering into the sewers and getting sick.

Bulwarks were really a post-medieval thing, build with cannons and guns in mind. It might be these need to be redesigned to fit DF's orthographic angles. (Or maybe a medieval circular design works better for df)

The real issue with mimicking real life defences though is that these rely on archery a lot, and in DF archery training is buggy, and on top of that, if the archers are higher than 3 z-levels they won't be able to hit a target, which together with archers habit of engaging in melee combat/jumping off walls means that the only real-life defence mechanism that works for them is pill boxes.

Similar issue with siege engines :p
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2019, 02:36:25 pm »

I added abort shafts in above ground forts a few times (for dump zones and minecart dumps), but I stopped because of concern that a roc or titan would fly into the fort.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2019, 03:08:19 pm »

I added abort shafts in above ground forts a few times (for dump zones and minecart dumps), but I stopped because of concern that a roc or titan would fly into the fort.
a valid point against abort shafts.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)
Pages: 1 [2]