Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My outpost liaison is being... very odd  (Read 1808 times)

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
My outpost liaison is being... very odd
« on: July 10, 2019, 06:05:08 pm »

For one, when the liaison finally attended a meeting with my mayor, all dwarven caravans (multiple showed up due to contacting other dwarven civs) had left, as it's late autumn right now. For two - I assume my mountainhome was sieged or something, because a citizen (dwarf) of my fort has become queen of my civ. The outpost liaison offered to make my fort a barony, which I found rather ridiculous, especially since she met with my mayor after her civ's caravan had left!
I chose not to elevate anyone, not to mention I have no idea what would happen if, say, someone was elevated to baron and my fort had a baron, mayor, and monarch at the same time...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: My outpost liaison is being... very odd
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 06:23:18 pm »

You'd have more mandates, that's what. Monarch being in your fort doesn't give it any extra status on its own.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 08:59:58 am »

This is perfectly normal. Having a monarch, landed noble, and mayor is standard for a fortress: none of them override the others. Having the monarch live at your fortress doesn't make you the mountainhome - that requires a certain amount of population, wealth and offerings. My fort has hosted the king from year one, but only became mountainhome around year 10 or so.

And I see nothing strange about the liaison meeting with your mayor after the caravan leaves. If the mayor is busy enough they won't "conduct a meeting" for a long time.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 12:04:52 pm »

Well excuse me for being confused.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 02:12:08 am »

Just think about it as the king's "summer retreat" :-)  Actually, in Japan it occasionally happened that the Shogun would go hang out in a different castle for years on end, rather than be in Edo.  Escaping the politics ;-)  The bureaucracy still has to go on in the capital though!  What would we be without committees to appoint minor nobility and the like?!

I have experienced one downside to refusing a Barony, though.  The next year when the caravan comes, you might not be able to request certain goods.  However, they will probably offer you another Barony at that point and you will be able to request goods the following year.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 03:34:46 am »

Yes, whenever I turn down the offer of a barony it seems they penalize me with not allowing to request goods until I do (not that I care, usually, as caravans are mostly used for garbage disposal in my fortresses).