Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 29

Author Topic: X-piratez succession game  (Read 74766 times)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-piratez succession game
« Reply #135 on: July 30, 2019, 03:55:31 am »

So EuchreJack is up next?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 30, 2019, 04:48:24 am »

Yes, that's his turn.

We're still alive, that" great !
Now about the base defense happening so much often and looking at the base map it looks like the invaders can get in from 4 corridors  (2 of them ultimately leading into the same room)
Maybe it should be usefull to re-arrange things a bit to force the enemies to get in only from 1 corridor so defense could be easier ?

That or focus on getting hideout shroud to help hide the base from the enemy, though i don't know the status of researches to know how far it is from where we are now.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 30, 2019, 05:25:05 am »

I would not put a shroud on the main base. It should be well defended (in time) by our best gals, and the shroud doesn't make detection impossible.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 30, 2019, 05:48:06 am »

Thing is mind shield facilities suck.  And I strongly suspect that it's even worse in X-Piratez.  Scanning the Discord, it seems "rovers" like Ratmen and Dark Ones are just immune to shrouds. 

If their bands get close enough (and aren't destroyed?) then an assault is inevitable, and I think Dark One assaults "teleport" in (IIRC they have an absurdly fast "signal" ship which hyperwave sometimes spots glitching around the globe).

Ironically I think the best defense is to set up proper interception, to clear out the scout bands!  I think the charger laser or autocannons should work against them, they're hard to hit but have like 1 hitpoint.  Using high-accuracy pilots seems to make a big difference in ammo/time required.  I don't think the Dark One assault itself can be intercepted though, just the roving scouts.

I'd point out that Dark One assaults aren't actually that much of a threat, despite my theatrics, thanks to dogs.  But I do know from experience that they can get extremely tedious, particularly if they manage to crawl into the walkways and sewer.  Sadly the sewer extends even into undeveloped space - the only way I recall to create an actual bottleneck is with a full ring of security corridors (or the flame trap rooms I assume).  Failing that, the only hope is to strike with such speed that they don't manage to sneak far.
it's kinda frustrating
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 30, 2019, 05:58:05 am »

I wish there was a mod to remove the sewers completely, or at least remove the water from them as that slow gals so much it is taking forever to hunt any enemy going there.

I would not put a shroud on the main base. It should be well defended (in time) by our best gals, and the shroud doesn't make detection impossible.
You mean the best gals we're losing regularly ? :D

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 30, 2019, 06:00:27 am »

It fits the Dark Ones, they basically open a portal from hell.

The ships some other factions use are very hard to put down as well, because they are too fast for regular interception and they don't want to fight, so even if you send a craft straight at them they will just disengage and then you won't have the pilots in your base defence.

The ratmen ships and stuff like that can be downed by luxury barracks, large prisons, armored vaults.

Edit: Then stop loosing them already!  :'(
Well, at least not all of them at the same time, so there are always a few.

The real problems will begin when we get crackdowns by proper factions about 2 years in.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 30, 2019, 09:00:28 am »

I don't mind my turn being delayed, so EuchreJack can play just before mine , after Rolan7 complete his already started turn

The thing is...it did pretty badly lower our score. Also, the missed help the Lok'Naars mission. Aside from the losses, we actually did well. The losses were just bad enough for morale that I got voted out (by me).

Thing is mind shield facilities suck.  And I strongly suspect that it's even worse in X-Piratez.  Scanning the Discord, it seems "rovers" like Ratmen and Dark Ones are just immune to shrouds. 

They halve the chance to be detected. Whoo! Also, walking units are immune, and they probably scouted your base before they showed up. That's what the 50 red dots around the base means.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
i hate corners so gdmn much

That checks out; Doom didn't have a lean key.

Oh, and where are we on the interceptor project? Still need engine tech from engineers?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 30, 2019, 06:04:21 pm »

That checks out; Doom didn't have a lean key.

When it comes to the geniuses still working on old Doom , never say never

:D

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 31, 2019, 10:35:44 am »

Ahaha HELL no.

Really? I was very intimidated by these until I finally tried one, but now I always find Ghoul Cities really easy missions - just a bit tedious.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the spoiler-ed answer.  Did you mean
  Yeah, we're years from having those, especially since it appears armor tech is being completely ignored.

I will try to do my turn today, but I'm kinda intimidated.  Its been months since I've played X-Piratez, and I have never fought the DOOM monsters.  How did we trigger their wraith anyways?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 31, 2019, 11:05:26 am »

Possibly by not triggering anyone else's.  If we were shooting down Academy ships, I think the Academy would be searching for us instead.  The Dark Ones and ratmen might pick up slack in that regard.

Either way, we should be able to avoid their raids by shooting their roving bands as they search for our base.  They're hard to hit though so it's important to use high-shooting pilots.  And uh... having a ship with a gun, would probably help.

She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 31, 2019, 12:13:33 pm »

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the spoiler-ed answer.  Did you mean
  Yeah, we're years from having those, especially since it appears armor tech is being completely ignored.

Nope. It's a much earlier version. We may have unlocked it. There are a lot of early-game techs to wade through, and I'm not sure most of them actually go anywhere for over a year. It may be new; the wiki doesn't list it.

I will try to do my turn today, but I'm kinda intimidated.  Its been months since I've played X-Piratez, and I have never fought the DOOM monsters.  How did we trigger their wraith anyways?

Aren't that one and the Academy attack scripted to occur? Dark ones just start showing up after ~6 months in-game.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 31, 2019, 10:49:42 pm »

Well, after a brief experiment with the new version, I can confirm that I'm really, really rusty.  I'll probably fiddle around with my save where I chose Slave Soldier paid recruitment over Gals.  Dumb, dumb, dumb choice.  If I can win battles with those losers, I should be ok with our game.  I'm looking at the save now though, so I have an idea what's going on.

EDIT: We can BUY Tactical Vests, and we're not using them?!  No wonder so many gals are dead...
Also, we have two Plantations.  I know nothing about how they work, but shouldn't we be doing something to get money off of them? O.K, I guess its just passive income.

We REALLY need another base, sigh.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 31, 2019, 11:19:11 pm »

Yeah, Male Touch is generally considered tougher.  I think you can still recruit Veterans, but it takes a lot of research to get there.  I've been doing it in my personal game and it's not soooo bad, I'm losing gals at about the same rate I rescue recruitable ones, but I already fill out my transports with disposable peasants.  The male version isn't much different, and I don't need their lack of morale loss.  It's a bad trade-off when you have peasants anyway, is what I'm saying.

The plantations are fine, they have negative monthly "upkeep".  They can be used to make boom fruit or sectoweed, which is a somewhat finicky process I don't think we've researched, but last I checked those options didn't seem to really improve the profit.  They're just ways to get those resources.

The main reason I built that top-right plantation was to "clear space" for a large barracks someday.  It'll build much faster if we build it over the plantation.  We need a chain of research for that though, starting with some aqua plastic.  A hangar could be built there instead if someone wants!

(I think the option to buy tac vests was recently researched, or at least that's my story XD)
She/they

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 31, 2019, 11:51:30 pm »

Ok, so I've dabbled with the save.

The first thing I do is hire 2 Warriors, as without the new Barracks, we can only hire 2 people, so I hire the best.  Also purchased 4 Tactical Vests as our new default Armor.

Also pick up 4 dogs, to bring the total back to 20
Since we have Light Machinegun and an Assault Machinegun, I pickup 4 belts and 2 crates.

We don't have any Anti-Armor weapons.
I go with the RPG.  The gals can carry multiple reloads and it does explosive damage, so it will wipe out people near armored vehicles on misses.

I'm planning on doing the Ratman Village, equipping the Gals with Barbarian Armor and UC Chainguns.  It should be doable.  Its not like I need the ratmen alive.

Additionally, while there are certainly things that I might like researched, I don't plan on choosing any research topics for a while.  We have many, many research topics with 1 or 2 brainers.  I'd like to consolidate that quite a bit before adding anything of my own.  As you may be able to guess from this and previous posts, I will probably prioritize Aqua Plastics (if we can get any) and armor research.  I will still research captives for that sweet sweet score, though.  I hope to at least have Tactical Armor, and maybe Veterans recruits.

If we have both the Airvan and the Blowfish at the end of the month, I'm selling the Airvan as its redundant.  If I can only have two craft, one should be able to shoot stuff down.  But I will wait till the end of the month, just in case I lose one of them on a mission.

I may still break in Slave Soldiers as reservists, as they're a good value, actually earning us money if I recall.  I misread the stat screens earlier, lol.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 01, 2019, 05:58:51 am »

Do we have a dojo in the base ?
right click on the dojo bring a menu that allows to train a certain amount of gals when out of missions, it's very usefull for newly hired hands.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 29