Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29

Author Topic: X-piratez succession game  (Read 74619 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: X-piratez succession game
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2019, 02:04:51 pm »

Heh, I'm playing a little on my own to get accompanied with J15 and earlygame, and I've found that peasants cost the same as dogs  :o
... And I'm not sure which is the most useful (they're both exceptionally useful, but peasants obviously have much more potential.  Particularly with voodoo, though I've never really tried that).

Sickbay is definitely a priority, but even that Mess Hall will help a lot if we get it!  And as a bonus, gambling!

I'm a little surprised you took on the pogrom, since avoiding them doesn't give (much) score hit until the Alliance if formalized.  It's technically worse to show up and retreat.  But screw score, it's always good to resist the Humanists!  Particularly dragging a couple home :D
(their vehicles scare me tho)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2019, 03:51:49 pm »

I'm also an advocate of ignoring pogroms until you join the Alliance. I've had plenty of unpleasant ones early that I'd've been better off not doing.

Also: I'm disappointed that MCreeper was not dwarfed as Emm Creeper.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2019, 06:45:33 pm »

We all share leadership duties here, and I am now acting captain aboard this leaking tub. I was also told immediately that we're invading a temple soon. I took a look around, and our finances were in much worse shape than expected, but I was able to hire another (one. ONE) brainer as we only had 3. I realized research is the only way we can use all of this tech we have laying around, and prioritized that.

We sold off the security corridor in the middle of the base (where it is no longer secure), anything that fired flintlock balls, junk weapons that can't get us hostages, and all of the grog we've been manufacturing. I also put in a standing order to always sell the grog. We ordered a pile more bandages, and a double scotch neat, as is befitting my position. I also loaded up the ship with a pile of heavy garbage we had laying around so our few functional gals and peasants can get some exercise, as well as our self-charging lasers and baseball bats. We'll get this heap ship-shape soon. Finally, I laid a course for the nearby temple I was told about.

A peasant knocked out the priest who came to see what was going on (and wounded Salty Minna), ran after a b-boy, and absorbed 2 reaction fire. The b-boy also absorbed one, so we're calling that a win. Salty Minna took down the sharp guy and altar boy responsible, and Water Tarantula continued her healing ways with the peasant.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Our other 3 peasants stormed in the back way, cracking an altar boy's skull and firing lasers at a neophyte uselessly. The neophyte was carrying a molotov, driving the peasant berserk, and taking 2 laser shots as payment. A second rear-end peasant slightly stunned an altar boy with a bat, then whiffed twice. The third peasant helpfully cauterized the wound with a laser, leaving him bleeding on the ground. Around front, we captured a neophyte and lady in a maid costume, as well as severely injuring an altar boy with a pistol.

Firey peasant got a second molotov, then was beat unconscious by an altar boy. The wounded peasant from the front got taken out by the wounded altar boy, who ate a reaction shot before being beaten with a bat. Too bad he didn't live; he's strong enough to have made a good slave. The remaining 4 of us took up defensive positions at the front and rear of the church proper. We only took one reaction shot between the savvy girl and the neophyte who both showed up, but heard several more church-goers in the below-decks. We took down a few more the next turn.

We eventually found one sharp guy hiding in a small stone temple nearby. We didn't get any pictures, but we did bring him back to base.

Overall, we lost 2 peasants, and made enough money after selling hostages (2 Ballers, 3 Altar Boys, and 4 Neophytes) to afford another brainer and 4 more peasants. Good thing, too. 10 days before anyone is out of sick bay, and we have a Ratmen Village to raid. Actually, never mind. One peasant lost though the front windshield while we waited out the ratmen's reactions, and 2 more died as soon as they opened the doors. We took 2 of them down, and got mild stat gains on the peasants, then fled.

We've got downtime, and now 7 brainers. Researching a b-boy and a drifter (we finally got enough brainers to start our research program) got us information about flintlock gasballs, and a wasp aircar. A savvy girl reminded us to left, right, and middle-click things, a sharp guy told us about shadowmasters, a tough guy told us about prepper boxes, a church priest told us about old earth books, and a gun almanac told us about light cannons. We rounded out the week with Weirdness, Violence, and a Mess Hall. All of that interrogation aught to put the fear of us in our enemies, and help blackmail...protect the governments. (also, hopefully get rid of the negative score for taking civilian hostages)

MCreeper, Salty Minna, and our 3 unwounded peasants set off for Death (hopefully going to them) and Taxes (hopefully coming to us). MCreeper wanted a bow, but got a whip. First round is spent in the ship (safely, this time), listening to the noises of people getting shanked. Maybe if we hurried, we could have "rescued" some of them. The gals too out a poorly-armed ruffian with reaction fire, and the 3 peasants slowly beat a highwayman unconscious. We took one hostage, 4 corpses, and saved 5 civilians who totally weren't responsible for 80% of the defense. We got some trash, and a black cat.

Coming back, a hoe told us about a bag of cash, then we started learning about What Do and Spring Cleaning so we can research medicine and Personal Labs. Also, Bounty Hunting because it's Bounty Hunting. Selling a pile of our loot (kept a stash of moonshine and anything with dependencies), including a chateau de la morte from the church got us close to hiring another brainer. Halfway through the month, so we'll hold off on hiring one for now. We will, however, contact the builder's guild so we can expand our barracks, and merchants so we're not using "whatever gun still has ammunition."

Images incoming, once I find a place to upload them, and grab supper. Would have had more images, but OpenXcom doesn't like to allow screenshots when you're full screen.

That's half a month, and maybe too many words (mostly from the first battle). Also, too few screenshots, but I'm trying to figure that out. We've got another temple raid, and a "Truth is Out There" - prepper camp (New in this version). Suggestions on those? We're back to 2 gals and 4 peasants for our dying fighting force. Not enough to take on a ratmen village, but enough to...uh...

We need a dojo, but it's so far away. Or at least rare earth elements (the one that's not easy to find), mutant meat, and soylent so we can recruit castaways.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 12:10:26 pm by Iduno »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2019, 06:59:37 pm »

You could probably fight a temple raid to completion - that's one of the missions I take on pretty early. If you go at night, the smooth bastards can't see you coming - and if you sneak in the back door they usually can't anyway.

Are preppers new in J15, or have I just never seen them? I know the RNG kept me away from a bunch of fairly-common early things on my first two or three (failed, partial) playthroughs.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2019, 04:36:42 am »

And i have thought that 6 brainers were more than enough, only for next player to throw away last money on the seventh.  :P
Also images are too small for some reason.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 08:54:14 am by MCreeper »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2019, 05:02:00 am »

OpenXcom has an inbuilt screenshot function. Just press F12 and look in the piratez mod folder.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2019, 12:36:35 pm »

OpenXcom has an inbuilt screenshot function. Just press F12 and look in the piratez mod folder.

Well dammit. That's where they're hiding. Thank you.

And i have thought that 6 brainers were more than enough, only for next player to throw away last money on the seventh.  :P
Also images are too small for some reason.

I'm not familiar with this "enough" you mention. Is it like some sort of bird? Also, I bought numbers 7 and 8. I didn't notice until yours showed up as well.

Images: better or worse? Postimages apparently thinks I want links to thumbnails that link to the images, instead of just linking to the images.

Preppers are new.

Second half of the month (got too tired to do it last night):

Ok, I've got some homemade grog. we'll try to tackle the temple, because I'm not trying new things on medium difficulty AND ironman.

We're directly south of the temple, so it'll be some time before we can make it around back. First round, everytime we ran up to an enemy, another appeared. It'll be lots of shooting up front.

Maybe sooner than expected.

We only lost 1 peasant first round, with and injury for Minna. MCreeper managed to shoot an altar boy. Minna knocked out an altar boy first round, then a tough guy and another altar boy while injured the next round. The surviving peasants took down a tough guy and a sharp guy. MCreeper also shot an altar boy the next round (they bled out on the ground), followed by injuring a neophyte with a shotgun. Everyone else hit stuff with bats, or healed each other.

The gods of luck and/or poor decision making means the neophyte tried to run away instead of shooting MCreeper, and got promptly whipped into sleep (instead of dead) as payment. We be reasonable here. 2 more neophytes (one shotgun, one rusty niner) appeared from the front. A peasant with a shotgun took one out with a kneeling aimed shot to the back.

Once again, they didn't shoot. A neophyte (shotgun) and the priest came out the back entrance, so MCreeper has company now. Hitting one shot out of 4 (at ~60% accuracy) didn't help anything; hitting for 0 damage means we might need a replacement Creeper.

Look, we'd all be in Davy Jones' Locker by now if anyone other than altar boys had shot at us all raid. Let's take advantage of our good luck. 2 good hits took out the Neophyte, and nothing at the priest. Minna walked up until she was out of energy, hit the priest, and ate 2 reaction shots for it. A peasant started healing her, and took a zero-damage reaction shot when she knelt. The lone peasant preventing us from getting flanked (out by the front doors) missed a niner shot, then hit the neophyte there with a bat. Still up, but they'll have to choose move or shoot.

The neophyte took another bat and went down, the priest took a laser from a peasant who can barely shoot (20%) and got whipped. We're nearly in clean-up. Minna and the other peasant healed each other all turn, but they'll be in sick bay for a month or two. Maybe we need armor? Bats and the whip finally took down the priest, and we raided the temple without even entering it.

Back to healing and research: We finished our research, an altar boy taught us about human citizens, and we started on Highwayman, Giant Cockroach Carcass (mutant meat and soylent?), and talked to a hoe (hopefully pimping?). We also started building a new barracks before heading off to save another government agent.

First round in the ship, second round we split into two groups of 3. Hopefully those 2 peasants can handle a baller. The baller went around the corner, and up the stairs. Hopefully we don't have to play chase. Another baller is coming up from behind, but so is another peasant. Creeper and the other 2 peasants haven't found much yet.

Baller from behind knocked out a peasant, then ate a reaction shot. 2 peasants whiffed every bat swing. The other baller is trying to run around the building to Creeper and the other peasant on the ground. We saw him, so that's going to be the good kind of ambush.

Or not. Peasant from above has sniped 2 ballers with her laser. Creeper is coming back to help take out the (bleeding from the reaction shot) super baller who took out 3 peasants. The other peasant hopes to ambush the first baller who ran away.

Ambush worked, Creeper took down a baller, but got stabbed by a second one, sniper peasant came down to heal everyone, and the other 3 are still taking a nap. I also heard some rapid door opening/closing, so I'm guessing more are out there.

Found the doors that I didn't open, and everyone who is awake is healed. Time to hunt the last few ballers. With a Creeper who isn't brave enough.

Creeper went berserk this time, but didn't shoot. A peasant missed 6 times at 55% from behind a baller (who probably still dodged a bit, but that's a lot of missing).

Not much to show, but we're all going insane and getting knocked out most rounds. One baller is running around bleeding, and just killed 2 peasants with a bat. Another knocked Creeper out, but is injured. I think it's only those 2-3 left. And 4 of us, 2 insane and 2 sleeping.

5 on 6, and we are the ones going home. Some of us. Luckily, peasant Clarice was able to carry us. She got all 3 kills, and wounded...I'm not sure if they were the same ones or not, but 3 or 4. She now be Honorary Gal Clarice.

A highwayman taught us about auto rifles, we figured out how to extract the insides of a giant cockroach corpse, and a hoe told us about megapol cars. Great... I'm researching Fire Walk with Me for black powder bombs. Also a Guild Stapler?, and a baller. We still need superconductive wire to learn about personal labs, and can't afford more brainers (or another base) for quite a while. We failed to help the Lok'Naars, because we only had one person uninjured. The baller told us about their jewelry, mostly rings. As long as we know about the stapler, I'm researching melee (for primitive weapons) and smithing. We'll have durathread for armor any...month now. We also missed a mutant pogrom, but we're understaffed, underarmed, underarmored, and there's not much lootin' to do there.

That ends the month. Looks like investing heavily in brainers early in the month (you pay for an entire month, starting when you hire them) be paying off. Also, capturing and ransoming everyone we can. A baller told us about sectoweed before we could save. That's actually useful, medically speaking.

We have 520k. We need another prison (200k), a mess (225k), and 4 more brainers (200k each). Also, I should stick to temple raids. We lose the fewest gals there (partly because I know that map pretty well, and there aren't that many places to get ambushed from.

Edit: Also, did you know you can either right or middle-click things in the sell menu to find out if they're used for anything? I haven't tried it with Tiny Drill, but I don't plan to sell that, either.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 04:53:43 pm by Iduno »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2019, 07:19:49 pm »

Things happened. Here is the first half of the month. Thank you again Rince Wind for telling me how to take screenshots easily.

We don't have the money for half of what we need, but until we have enough gals to trade them out (or even fill a vehicle), we'll use the mess hall to rest more efficiently.

Research!

We were offered the opportunity to round up a ratmen village, but that's beyond us right now. An aircar race as well, which we can't possibly make in time. Now breaking a farmhouse, that we can theoretically do.

We found it, even though it's not that close to our ship. We also don't have explosives anymore (but we're reasearching so we can make more), but we have some weapons that even the peasants can try to use to damage the building. The farmer's warning shot helped as well.

And it was worth it

A mission to save another captured uber? Always, even if we can't recruit her.

Not a bad first half turn (after the one spent in the ship to avoid reaction shots).

Breaching the brothel, and this guy is here to greet us.

Two peasants went around the front way when we noticed everyone with guns came out the back. They did okay.

It took too long, but we eventually found the last one.

She proceeded to shoot a panicking gal (wearing the Savage outfit, so we knew she had bad bravery), and another hoe. Another gal got there in time to prevent it from getting too bad, but there wasn't much space.

Pretty okay, considering we came here to rescue someone, not impress the governments.

Although the injuries leave us a bit shorthanded. We'll need to rest for a while before we do anything.

A neophyte taught us about the church's Influence missions, which make us look bad. Nothing we can do about them now anyway. A drifter taught us about monster eyes, which is something we needed to learn about? Do they also have feet now? A tough guy taught us about the country Red Revolution.

I don't know what's going on here, but we're not following.

Okay, we could just rest until we have anyone who can do anything, or the academy can come wipe us out. You know, whichever.

That picture turned out better than it looks. A peasant was also able to join in. The gal got the academy shotgunner to kill another nurse, and we only lost one peasant KO'ing the other 2. The lone peasant and gal who defended both hangars because of our base layout and massive injured list (70% health or better to defend) did not do so well.

That base defense was a bloodbath. We had almost nobody to defend, and by the time they got there, it was mostly over. Most of our peasants died, as well as MCreeper. Our other 2 gals are badly wounded.

A highwayman taught us about sniper rifles, and a humanist soldier asked for an Atom Beer.

Most of our money is now (and so far, now that I think about it - the memorial wall shows 12 dead) going towards replacement peasants. A gun almanac taught us about grenade launchers, and we researched recruitment so we have literally anyone left who isn't injured or dead.

We completed our first cave hunt. Sadly, our runts only brought back mutant meat. We still don't have any rare earth elements, and I'm sorely tempted to just ransom our two castaway girls.

We finished researching peasant militia, hoping to find a way to stop the bleeding (literal and financial). Then we agreed to try to help the Lok'Narrs.

Honorary Gal Clarice Sniped a ninja carrying a firey sniper rifle, while injured. No kill, but the ninja bled, and missed her shot. She spent the next several round chasing the sniper around to prevent her getting off any accurate shots, until a lucky reaction shot got her in the chest. Luckily, our other peasant was close by for medical, and Tortugan Dove hit the ninja with a bat. I should have gotten some pictures. 6 of us and some Lok'Naar militia vs 5 ninjas.

One last ninja, and she's got a boarding gun. Tortugan Dove wasn't able to deflect the shots, and was killed. Then Honorary Gal Clarisse was punched to death while walking back to the safety of the ship by a ninja who was knocked out earlier. Our last peasant didn't fare any better than Dove. Total Party Wipe. Total of 5 gals and 17 peasants dead now. I think dogs are better than peasants, considering how few TU (and everything else) peasants get. Even though dogs can't KO anyone.

No ship, no money, nobody who isn't wounded. Oh, and all of our decent equipment was on the ship. Want to call the game? I feel bad losing so soon; I started with TFTD when it was new, and I've never lost this quick. If so, who starts the new one? Rolan? Me? I'm also putting Rare Earth Elements on the "don't sell" list. They're real difficult to get when you can't win a fight, and you need them to get enough gals to keep winning fights.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2019, 07:49:49 pm »

Oof.  Don't feel bad, this game is kinda stupid hard in ways.  I've never seriously considered playing ironman until this, there are just too many little nonsense quirks which make me restore an autosave.  Sometimes including bad RNG/lolnukes or also just Dioxine's Kojima-esque obsession with hiding enemies in walls.

I guess I could pick up from the last save and we keep trying until one of us gets through.  I'm willing to try.

Alternatively, I very much wouldn't mind a reduction in difficulty.  Enemy armor gets ridiculous in midgame even with the Kidd reduction, whereas on the unaltered difficulties it's pretty absurd even from the beginning.  I've been playing John Silver personally, and couldn't say how many times Warmaidens have shrugged off rifle rounds to the back without damage (often with the classic "turn around and one-shot their ambusher").

So a vote I guess - do I just rewind the clock, or start over?  And on which difficulty?
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2019, 08:45:48 pm »

I never continued to play after losing the ship as usually i just reloaded the previous save so i don't know : is that ship-less situation unrecoverable in x-piratez ?
In DF i sometime had fun trying to recover my fortress with the survivors just after a terrible and hilarious tantrum spiral that killed most dwarves (when tantrum spiral were still a fun feature before df2014), so if x-piratez progression is allowing the situation to be recoverable it could be fun to try to continue.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 08:50:28 pm by Robsoie »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2019, 09:41:09 pm »

Well, losing the ship is a pricey hit but we can buy replacements with Contacts: Car Thieves (which is pretty early research).  An Airvan holds 5 instead of 6 but has better range, heh.  I'd probably go with the Blowfish.  Slow as hell, but seats 8 and goes underwater.  Slightly cheaper too.

$360K is still a lot, and the crew's pretty wiped-out, but eh... if Iduno posts the save I'll definitely give it a shot at least.  Even if I have to sell facilities, I'm kinda curious.
She/they

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2019, 04:00:39 am »

It was inevitable. It was moderately annoying.
Personallly, i'll vote for just restarting this, on whatever difficulty.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2019, 08:25:47 am »

Well, losing the ship is a pricey hit but we can buy replacements with Contacts: Car Thieves (which is pretty early research).  An Airvan holds 5 instead of 6 but has better range, heh.  I'd probably go with the Blowfish.  Slow as hell, but seats 8 and goes underwater.  Slightly cheaper too.

$360K is still a lot, and the crew's pretty wiped-out, but eh... if Iduno posts the save I'll definitely give it a shot at least.  Even if I have to sell facilities, I'm kinda curious.

360 is about 300 more than we've got now. Even if we sold the tiny drill (we won't), we probably couldn't afford that. I'll still post the save when I can to see what you can do with it. I also figured out why the base defense was so difficult. Most of our gals were in the burrow, and I was in the process of replacing the security corridor (located way too deeply in the base to be a useful choke point) with the mess hall. The main battle was taking place in the new barracks by the hangars. One gal and one peasant (the other got reaction-fired) fought off 2 nurses and 2 drones, while another gal and peasant fought off 3 nurses (one with a shotgun). There was another nurse running around as well, but half of our reinforcements eventually made it to patch everyone up.

Struggling with money early game (most of the game, probably) is interesting, but it means that everyone getting one-shotted sucks (especially when they're the one going back to the van for safety). Early game is a lot of hiring brainers to get you points so you can afford the brainers you just hired, and hoping none of your gals gets hurt badly enough to prevent you from doing missions.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2019, 11:01:13 am »

So, when all who want to try to salvage this will get the save?  :P

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2019, 11:56:32 am »

Re: early base defense: dogs. Dogs, dogs, dogs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29