Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 29

Author Topic: X-piratez succession game  (Read 74409 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-piratez succession game
« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2019, 01:04:21 pm »

We have 3 vehicles. One is loaded with 3 gals. The other 2 are empty. We've also got about a dozen peasants still, which seems insane if we have other options. Also, our single prison isn't even full. The majority of our gals are untrained, and we have none of the zero ammunition training lasers (self-charging lasers which might do decent damage or pocket las-pistols which are mostly safe).

We do, however, have enough ol revolvers to equip everyone. We'll go with rusty niners instead.

I also sold off anything that doesn't have dependencies or a combat use (starting with everything that had ol in the name).

I'll get to the rest later today. There are like 3 missions and a ship waiting.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 01:09:08 pm by Iduno »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 27, 2019, 04:06:27 pm »

As i never play ironman with xpiratez, i am wondering about the 2 lost gals from one of the screenshots, as when i forget someone behind i just reload .

As i imagine those 2 had interesting stats, can they re-appear somehow through missions that has lost castaway gals in them, or if they just completely removed from the game ?

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 27, 2019, 04:15:42 pm »

They are removed. This is not XCOM 2 War of the Chosen.

Well ok, there is a way. Later. But they won't be the same. Not sure about cloning even later, I am just researching advanced cloning right now in my game.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 27, 2019, 04:34:27 pm »

no idea about those modern xcom games, never played any.
But that cloning stuff sounds interesting, though if it does not keep the stats i'm not sure it's usefull then.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 27, 2019, 05:06:12 pm »

I found some of our equipment in the unused van. Unfortunately, I had to abandon the mission because I couldn't find any bandages for the turtle. When I got back to base, I ordered another pile for both bases. Hopefully now all gals can carry 2, which should be enough to handle most non-lethal injuries. Also, it's enough for a boost in bravery.

I am taking the peasants on a mission to fight off a landed small ship. Anyone who comes back uninjured may keep their jobs, but plan A is to spend the same amount of money each month on gals who have actual usable stats instead of peasants (who also die when you look at them too hard).

We have about 20 apples left, so our runts need other work. I found out we could make several decrypted data discs (and easy shortcut to research, needs ~2 brainer-days worth to research a topic), and could take apart many personal computers to make more. We're also finally tackling the junk pile for building materials, and making Lok'Naar Slayer Armor for our pilots-in-training. We wanted to cook, but we need to research the ingredients first. We wanted to rob anyone we already had interrogated fully, but there weren't any of those yet (somehow). We also don't know how to put ships together (actually, not even close - 4 things before interceptor, and most of those have unresearched prereqs).

I'm not even going to comment on the suicidal setup of our bases. I'm assuming we're trying for 50% attrition of our forces any time we're attacked.

As always, first action is line up near the doors, but don't leave. Open the doors to peek out though. And then I ignored the rules, and knocked out a nearby Altar Boy with his back to us and nobody on overwatch (Which is why WE always travel in teams) before sneaking back to the ship.

Spread out, groups of 2 if there's a gal, and 3-4 if it's only peasants.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And there's someone with a shotgun, which peasants can't survive. Well, I planned on getting rid of them, but I hadn't planned on everyone losing massive amounts of morale and points.

Scrub the mission, these dinguses can't do anything. We captured a single warmaiden and 2 altar boys. 3 peasants pounding on a single priest has gotten 2 of them shot.
Teamwork!

Nevermind, priest is down as well now (but we're still leaving). We also learned that the shotgunner was an altar boy, but the other warmaiden led us into a successful ambush. They're on the third level, and we won't survive an assault. Oh, and a peasant freaked out and helped the warmaiden kill a gal. The peasant has been demoted to landing gear. I misspoke about peasants being worthless. They aspire to worthlessness, they're a liability.

Overall, we did bad, but got some loot (which is what we care about. All peasants are fired, and we'll hire a few hands. We'll also sell off these turtles as soon as we have something decent. We can't possibly field 12 people, so slow and weaponless isn't a fair trade-off for a bit more space. [I want my shadowbat. It's got sniper spots, enough space, speed...and a terrible layout] Also, handles are terrible once you get used to stun batons. Sadly, someone sold all of ours, and we have zero integrated devices to make more.

Research!

8 gals took on an infested cellar. We mostly switched out for lethal weapons, because rats are dicks, and also they don't tell you much when you question them. 1 gal injured, 12 rats and a cat sold. Nearly 100k in rewards, and a bunch of old coins in exchange for some of our blood. Not the best or worst trade. I was hoping for some reaction training, but our reactions aren't good enough to train yet.

Our workshop is completed, and now we can start making...nope. Nothing yet. Wait a few months (I do plan to have a plane starting construction by the end of the year). Our dojos finish shortly thereafter, and we can train 2 hands, plus probably the one we recently hired. Almost everyone at Ching Shih base is getting exercise though.

We've finally contacted ship junkyard salespeople. Now we can purchase and research the final 2 components to ships that will allow us to build our own.

Scientific Experiments. We got a bit surprised, and also didn't have enough bandages. Hopefully this will go smoothly anyway.

There was one enemy who wasn't in this pile. And it was cold, so we ran out of energy quick. We got wounded, but we won.

So, train melee to shoot in melee. Train reactions to survive getting shot in melee.

Base defense. Uh, shit. 4 of our gals made it to the fight first round (or close enough to form a firing line). 2 got hit with a shotgun blast for minor damage, and one was able to heal both. We took down 2 attack dogs and 2 ratmen on our turn. Captain Rina Wind ran out of energy running from the opposite side of the base, but got close enough to snipe one of the blood hounds. A ratman decided to prove he was better, and shot the other blood hound twice. No kills either time. Our newest hand got out and knocked out a ratman, and will hopefully act as ablative armor for the captain until someone else can come help.

While we were running to help, we found a lot more ratmen. They've got the run of the center of our base.

Dogs ambushed us from behind.

Captain is making a fight of it, but probably won't survive to see any reinforcements. They might not make it there anyway, so...

Glam tried to take out the enemy leader, but got nailed with a firey smg in return.
She's KO, which brings us down to 2 on 4. We clear them, but we're not done. Bug hunt (except Dioxine doesn't like to give us bug hunt mode) in our base.

2 more ratmen, at least. One kills one of our remaining gals, but takes one to the head in return. We don't really want to keep that rate up. I take down the "last", but we're still not done? One on...hopefully only one more. I hear a lot of electronic doors opening, then closing. Maybe the airlock?

One ratman woke up from his nap. I put him back down, hoping we can recover something if we survive this fiasco. I hired 4 more hands. That was much closer than I had wanted. We should really tear down these bases, and rebuild them correctly, but we don't have nearly enough money.

Ching Shih base has a mission, but isn't prepared. We have no melee weapons there? Great. We also don't have enough guns, or armor, or...it's a ratling rodeo. We need the apples.

Half of our hands are armed with laslock pistols, which appear to have an effective range of "melee?". [actually, a distance of 7 is where it starts losing its already-terrible accuracy.] We're selling these to buy something better (like rusty niners) as soon as this mission is over.

Quick bombshell took a quick nap when a dog we couldn't possibly hit bit her. Luckily, we got her patched up and she returned to battle. Then Bracin Fins took a musket ball from a sniper. We didn't want to spare a turn or two trying to shoot that far, so we lobbed a grenade under the sniper. We've also found our secret weapon in this fight: walking up behind a ratman and punching him right in the soft bit of the skull. We may end up leaving the laslocks here and resorting to our bare hands; they seem to be much more effective. Especially in these tight quarters. Buildings=melee.

And another base defense. This time at Ching Shih. I'm out for tonight. I can't handle another base defense. [I actually just quit my personal middle difficulty game because of a ratling base defense. I hate dogs in this game.]
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 09:02:00 pm by Iduno »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2019, 09:21:16 am »

So, did I die in the base defence?

It is interesting to see the different playstyles. I think rusty niners are mostly useless, and only buy a few laslocks to have something when I really need a laser/not piercing weapon. They don't usually get used. Their stats are pretty bad and their ammo is extremly expensive.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2019, 10:38:57 am »

Oh, I was using rusty niners as a comparison because they're bad, but they're slightly less bad than what I had to work with. I did end up needing to punch or grenade most enemies (and had to ransom all of the ratmen brigands that we still need to interrogate, because we don't have animal pens at that base). That base needs a shipment of actual usable weapons. I sent some melee stuff, which should help.

Also, I did some gambling in that playthrough, hoping to get more apples and also some good weapons. We got 3 apples, 3 iron tickets, and 7 copper. Iron got us 30k in Klares, and an autogun. Copper got us a hunting bow, combat shotgun, assault rifle, and a swimsuit.

I've got the other base defense going right now, so I can't check who lived/died, but we had 3 survivors of the base defense, because 2 were too wounded to help defend. I didn't see anyone whose name I recognized, but we should fix that. Who needs dwarfing?

I also got a warmaiden to tell us about a country, which got us a world lore (1,000 points). So despite nearly losing our main base, we'll make out pretty well for the month. I am just not looking forward to the second base defense.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2019, 12:29:38 pm »

There's a big lot of base defenses it seems (i guess they're suicidally completely built up , increasing then the odd of base being attacked ?) , so i guess maybe we should consider destroying some of the buildings and replacing them with some hideout shroud once we get the money (assuming we have already researched them).

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2019, 04:21:07 pm »

The thing about Peasants is equipping them property.  They suck at shooting, so the only gun they can use is some variety of shotgun.  Maybe a SMG on full auto, but the Shotgun family of weapons are the only dependable option.

But yeah, if you have a shortage of gals, then peasants shouldn't be used.  They're only useful if one more gal means a Pirate Officer you can't afford.
...And they also get replaced pretty quickly after Lokk Nar are available.

I think I've had the best luck with non-gals when I mix them all together.  Slaves for the armor (they get armor sooner and better than the other non-gals, last I recall), Peasants for numbers and filler (I thought they had other redeeming value, but nope), and Lokk Nar for the weapon skills and movement.  Oh, and probably a dog for scouting.  Grouped together and in sufficient numbers (Skyranger anyone?), they can achieve the same as a 4-gal squad...on a good day.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2019, 06:13:41 pm »

Skyranger anyone?

No.

It's a death tube with one exit.

Also, is there an abort mission zone in base defenses? Asking for a friend.

Did you know that sometimes doors don't close right after your turn ends, and you can get fireballed before it shuts because fuck you?

Luckily she did not drop the grenade when she panicked. She did, however, miss throwing it and land it on the ledge next to the door, spending the rest of her turn running out of the fire.

So far, it's turning out fairly smooth. I mean, for being outnumbered 3:1, probably. There are too many to count. We have 5 anyway. Anyway, stun rods take them down in one hit. Also, they're one-handed, so you can also shoot if you have few enough enemies that you aren't always in melee range. [I actually did some shooting, and possessed have bad enough reactions you can usually get away with it].

The imp is sleeping, after being shot twice. Stupid bleed-immune... Also, 2 sergents down with 2 SMG attacks. Pretty okay turn on this side as well.

Chaingunner took several to the back from the tommy gun. We'll at least take a lot of the bastards down with us.

Imps are in our...well everywhere. Sneak attack here. I think she had a primed grenade, because most of us do. When you're outnumbered...

I didn't get a picture, but dropping a grenade and running while your surrounded is faster than lobbing the grenade and running. But it doesn't matter if a pinky sneaks up behind you and eats you.

And another chaingunner, who was already bleeding took a hit and a HIT!, and just stood there staring straight ahead. Eerie. Luckily, our gal has enough reactions to push his chaingun away when he fires.

Re-arming at the ammo dump. 2 more grenades and a gun with more ammo. She's the only gal left.

Another missed grenade. Both were thrown by Looter.

Found the pinky, and gave it some revenge. The next hit took it down.

Missed the shot, but hit an explosive barrel. Even better.

Sadly, Looter's wounds caught up to her, and she passed out.

I guess there was a reason I was dreading that.

We've been getting a lot of research done (everything except ship engines, because we can't afford to buy one), but it's mostly fluff stuff you've probably already seen. Also, I'm too lazy to crop them if you've already seen them. This is cool, though.

We're only a few hundred thousand short of building it:

But I found a way to make some money (especially as we're almost out of apples).

Research!

Science Experiments, with a weird whirring noise that knocks people out. "Fun." At least it hit them more than it hit us. Sadly, I didn't have the bandages on the ship to heal them up and take them hostage.

Trying to move the burrows, so we have more gals near the fight during base defenses. I also just noticed as I'm posting this, that we can save a bunch of money by selling one extractor. With the Workshop, we've got "some" extra workshop space.

I missed one help the Lok'Naars because I was waiting for night, and they only last ~12 hours apparently. We really need the apples, and we can take off if it's something we can't handle (assuming we know when we're near the ship; we don't have the luxury of the 5-turn battlescape save), so I took this one.

We can probably kill one reaper, but we're healing our fallen gal, and bugging out. Do you see the other thing I did?

I didn't realize that gas stations (which is apparently what that box is) are explosive, and also not great places to put your entire team near.

Like the bad kind of not great. I mean, we did take one down (sleeping only, reapers know how to take a bullet), but 3 others surrounded us.

I tried, and I made some strides, but it was also a lot of steps back.

And I'm tired of losing. Remember to get rid of one of the extractors, probably the "south" one, furthest from the hangars. And the old burrows once the new ones are built.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 08:14:57 pm by Iduno »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2019, 06:35:35 pm »

Is that a Doom slaughter map ? I hope you still have your bfg9000
:D

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 29, 2019, 09:13:43 am »

Are you looking for another player?  I might be able to pound out a month (maybe half a month).

If this were regular X-Com, I'd say you've passed the point of where failure is inevitable.  But this is X-Piratez, which is actually a lot better in that regard, on account that you're already playing in a world where the humans lost.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 29, 2019, 10:29:45 am »

Did you know that sometimes doors don't close right after your turn ends, and you can get fireballed before it shuts because fuck you?

Standard grenades go off at the end of the turn. Automatic/sliding doors close at the start of every turn.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 29, 2019, 10:34:31 am »

Are you looking for another player?  I might be able to pound out a month (maybe half a month).

If this were regular X-Com, I'd say you've passed the point of where failure is inevitable.  But this is X-Piratez, which is actually a lot better in that regard, on account that you're already playing in a world where the humans lost.
Sure. Not sure if right after that one, or after everyone else plays their turn.  :P
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 10:36:19 am by MCreeper »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 29, 2019, 11:03:55 am »

Standard grenades go off at the end of the turn. Automatic/sliding doors close at the start of every turn.

I think doors are *supposed to* close between turns, which is why I risked taking a look at who our opposition was. This time the doors didn't close, and our overwatch sniper got almost killed by imps (went insane instead of helping the next turn and also lost that character to passing out a few turns later). I've also seen bugs with doors not opening when someone walks through them. I don't think I would have won either way, but thinning the herd and drawing some of the fire instead of being on fire means the 2 characters down below may have lasted one more turn or so and gotten a few more kills.

The grenades went of when they were supposed to: the first tun after they are no longer in your possession. Timed explosives also won't explode while you carry them, but will still count down. I actually got a few kills in that base defense because I planned on throwing grenades, but the gals with primed grenades got killed and dropped them.

As long as everyone has had a turn (2 of us twice), I don't mind players who haven't had a turn getting one sooner. I'm also not the one delaying my turn, so my vote doesn't really count.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 29