Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 29

Author Topic: X-piratez succession game  (Read 74540 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: X-piratez succession game
« Reply #165 on: August 02, 2019, 12:59:15 pm »

I'm also sure that I'm going to name a dog Rolan7, in honor of their glorious base defenses.
ftfy
And haha being a named dog sounds great, though even the named ones die real easily.  I'll probably work on getting bloodhounds when my turn comes around, if we don't have them already, their front armor helps a lot.

(named ones do count as soldiers for barracks space is the main issue, but it's an interesting trade-off).

Once the new barracks completes in 2 in-game days, we'll have more than we need, and the main shortage will be funds for recruits to fill our ships.  So at present, its a good trade.  And the short expected lifespan means that bed shouldn't be filled for long...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 02, 2019, 10:18:20 pm »

Let's Begin!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, we deploy and its night.  And I have almost nothing to light the way (although our SMGs have a what appears to be a flame symbol on them).

I deploy cautiously.  Fortunately, we start in the corner of the map.

Doggo finds someone, and Cynical Mermaid trys out the UAC Chaingun.  It's super effective!

As usual, the main enemy on Ratman village missions is the terrain.  Its a maze of chainlink fences and crappy buildings.  Let's see if the Minicannon can clear things up a little bit.  Oh, and we have Fire Minibombs.  Maybe I'll play with them too.

I confirm that our SMG can light up the night.

Unfortunately Doggo dies, poor boy.

Next turn I use the UAC chaingun to avenge the death of Doggo, and try out the Minicannon.

Heh, it hits right in the middle of the fences via its firing arch.  Sure, I'll take the dead ratman over the terrain clearance.

After putzing around for a few turns, I decide not to risk our gals and pull out.

Results, at least we didn't lose anything!

Research completes.  As promised, I transfer the scientist to Metal Armor.  We now have two people on this task, woot woot...

New Recruits!
Hollerin Robsoie

Special MCreeper

Rince Wind -ed

I transfer everyone to the Terror of Da Deep.  I do not intend to be as badly outnumbered in future missions.

Well, I did something.  Barracks will be completed in one day, then I can give everyone else characters.  Till them, later folks!

Thoughts:
What to replace the AirVan with?
Raid here perhaps?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 03, 2019, 05:01:37 am »

I don't know if you know as you mention nothing to light the way, but to activate/deactivate (by default it's disabled for some reason) the night vision power of your gals it's by default the SCROLL LOCK key , you can also temporarly turn it off by pressing SPACE when you want to check what's actually dark or full light when moving the gals in the cover of the night.

You can change the color of night vision somewhere in the options too.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 03, 2019, 10:15:22 am »

I don't know if you know as you mention nothing to light the way, but to activate/deactivate (by default it's disabled for some reason) the night vision power of your gals it's by default the SCROLL LOCK key , you can also temporarly turn it off by pressing SPACE when you want to check what's actually dark or full light when moving the gals in the cover of the night.

You can change the color of night vision somewhere in the options too.

I can usually remember SPACE, but activating it permanently with SCROLL LOCK usually eludes me.  Thanks for the reminder!

I still stand by the decision not to fight Ratmen in their maze of a village at night, as their night vision is as good as ours, at least with the outfits I had the Gals wearing.

Comms Tower: Anyone ever done one of those?  The quick battle feature crashes when I try to simulate a Comms Tower mission, so I'm completely in the dark.  But I think its an important mission to do, and I think we now have the Galpower to do it.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 03, 2019, 11:36:18 am »

The villages stay up for quite a while, no need to hurry and go there at night.

Unless they were lost we should have some bows and flame arrows. Those are nice to light stuff up. If we don't have them anymore they are quick to produce.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 03, 2019, 12:29:24 pm »

Yeah ratmen villages are a pain in the butt terrain-wise, and not rewarding in return.  They're full of soft targets so could be useful for training, but not profit.

Comm Towers have quite a few early-mid faction troops, and maybe an esper-equivalent or two.  That means lots of quality loot and hostages available, and the tower itself is relatively easy to lock down and clear, but it can take a significant amount of galpower to overcome the amount of enemies.  I turned one down in my turn because we only had 5 gals, I'd much rather fill a Turtle XD

But I'm more used to mass-fire than properly utilizing high-power gals. 

As for night vision, scroll-lock is super awkward on my laptop so I just rebound the toggle to space instead.  There was a while where I didn't know about the toggle, only the spacebar action...  that sucked a lot.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 03, 2019, 09:20:35 pm »

I still stand by the decision not to fight Ratmen in their maze of a village at night, as their night vision is as good as ours, at least with the outfits I had the Gals wearing.

Better, I thought. Same with any non-human, and most elite units.

Comms Tower: Anyone ever done one of those?  The quick battle feature crashes when I try to simulate a Comms Tower mission, so I'm completely in the dark.  But I think its an important mission to do, and I think we now have the Galpower to do it.

It's a 4-ish story building (so it's easy to find) with a few more units than a shrine ship (for church). Nothing too bad, but you want to bring a lot of gals.

Yeah ratmen villages are a pain in the butt terrain-wise, and not rewarding in return.  They're full of soft targets so could be useful for training, but not profit.

It's a good source of training, and a good source of apples. The Lieutenant is worth researching then robbing. The rest are mostly worth researching (although they no longer know about apples, because fruit is complicated). Plus, they're unarmored and any shitty training weapon works well. Low-end bugeyes and leather whips without the skill to back them up both get improved nicely there.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 04, 2019, 07:55:15 pm »

It's a 4-ish story building (so it's easy to find) with a few more units than a shrine ship (for church). Nothing too bad, but you want to bring a lot of gals.

A shrine ship, huh?  Guess I won't send the blowfish with 5 gals and 2 dogs, even if the veterans are supremely powerful and our new named gals are not bad.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 05, 2019, 10:58:40 am »

grenades are very usefull too, make sure every gals had a few of them.
they can save a lot of situation.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 05, 2019, 07:51:44 pm »

Thanks for the advice!  I might not mention it, but I did in fact use a grenade in one of those "we can see but not shoot" situations!

So, I decide to stop worrying and attack the Comms Tower with what we got: Six gals, one dog, automatic weapons.

I decide to equip our Doggo as a bomber.  It proves semi-successful, as he successfully drops the Incendiary grenade to much enjoyment, and drops the HE grenade when he dies, although that doesn't seem to take anyone else out.  Maybe wounds someone, I dunno.

And the true limiter of the mission is the Freezing Cold.  Fortunately, most of our gals are in Warrior Armor, which is fairly warm.  And they were in swimming suits before I took over...

And we see whom our enemy for today is:

So our UAC Chainguns can't hit from the ship to the Tower, and I'd rather not lose our advantage of night fighting by getting closer.  Looking over the inventory, I suspect we can hit 'em with Boarding Guns and Bayoneted Rifles, maybe a UAC Carbine for our greener gals.  I'll looking at you, new named recruits!

I decide to only rearm the new gals, our vets just move closer and their hail of fire makes up for the poor to-hit numbers.  Might have over exaggerated.

Among you new gals, generally your weapons can't kill anything.  Except Special MCreeper, who delights me with a reaction shot kill with the Grenade Launcher-HE shell.  Good job MCreeper!  I love reaction shots with heavy high explosive weapons!

Our more veteran gals are the ones that manage to do most of the work.

After seeing a G.O. go beserk, Rince Winded goes after him.  Using the time-honored enemy detection technique of getting shot, Rince Winded finds her quarry, and actually managed to take him out with her Bayoneted Rifle.  Good job not sucking!  I'm so glad you're in Warrior armor, otherwise you'd probably be bleeding out and near death.

Hollerin Robesoie goes unconscious from a mook in the tower.  Hope she survives, although she was pretty useless in this mission so far.

And she dies at the start of the very next turn.  There was a hit on her unconscious body, dunno if that is even possible.  RIP Hollerin Robesoie, thanks for dying in the place of someone actually useful.

Hollerin Robesoie's killer dies shortly thereafter at the hands of someone with actual skill.  Rince Winded actually manages to kill another mook by shooting him in the back twice with her Bayoneted Rifle.  I'm starting to not entirely hate the weapon.  Shame it can rarely kill with one hit, though.

And then the mission ends, before MCreeper can finish her mission of stimulating our vet that lacks the energy to stop blocking the elevator to the 2nd floor of the tower.  Still, good job everyone!

Among other things, we loot another Grenade Launcher.  I love those things.  Also lots of cash, because Trader's Guild.

Good Job Rince Winded!  Especially in winning your Bullet Magnet award by not dying, unlike that OTHER gal.

Speaking of which, count this as your tombstone Hollerin Robsoie.  Maybe your next gal will prove more useful.  Still, at least you died instead of Rince Winded, who was standing nearby and probably would have died otherwise, so thanks!

I'm gonna wait till the barracks is built and we have reinforcements before tackling the Bandit Town.  Hm, maybe Infested Cellar wouldn't be so bad if we use that Flamethrower we've got?  Now what do we have in the world of fire protection?

Some new toys have arrived.  While I'm happy to see the Tactical Vests, I'll be happier when the new recruits arrive.

Allocate free brainer to the Green Codex.  Have we gotten our free Castaway Gals yet?

I'm going to end here, because I need to think about with whom to fill up our new Barracks.  And maybe solicite some advice.  At the very least, I expect everyone to have named characters.

I think that attacking at night helped us greatly in the Comms Tower mission.  We were mostly able to kill them before they saw us.  It would have been significantly different during the daytime, although I can not say exactly in what ways.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 05, 2019, 08:11:22 pm »

If you have some incendiary grenades (they should be availble on the market) at night they make great scout devices, you throw them far , it light up whole areas and you can see then enemies that were beyond the range, opening some good sniping opportunity without exposing a Gal first.

Not sure if you know it, but in the geoscape/bridge (where you see the world) you can press A or Q (depends on your keyboard language) then "Select Topic" to access a very good search function : so you can check researches you don't yet have and what you need to research in order to reach them

Still, at least you died instead of Rince Winded, who was standing nearby and probably would have died otherwise, so thanks!

:D

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 05, 2019, 08:24:58 pm »

Regarding recruiting slave soldiers, it seems that we have the tech, but when I go to the Manufacturing window, the option doesn't appear.  I set one of the G.O.'s to be enslaved, just in case its a lack of slaves.
EDIT: Nevermind, apparently it was Hidden, a feature I know nothing about.  So I stopped enslaving the G.O. (for now), and started recruiting a slave soldier.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 06, 2019, 08:27:30 am »

Thanks for the advice!  I might not mention it, but I did in fact use a grenade in one of those "we can see but not shoot" situations!

Molotovs/incendiary grenades also light things up!

Among you new gals, generally your weapons can't kill anything.  Except Special MCreeper, who delights me with a reaction shot kill with the Grenade Launcher-HE shell.  Good job MCreeper!  I love reaction shots with heavy high explosive weapons!

Until it goes bad.

There was a hit on her unconscious body, dunno if that is even possible.  RIP Hollerin Robesoie, thanks for dying in the place of someone actually useful.

Same as shooting a fence. You can't hit with melee weapons, because nobody is there, but you can hit with guns, whips, hammers, etc. Good for knocking out dogs, zombies, and werewolves even harder.

I'm gonna wait till the barracks is built and we have reinforcements before tackling the Bandit Town.  Hm, maybe Infested Cellar wouldn't be so bad if we use that Flamethrower we've got?  Now what do we have in the world of fire protection?

Infested cellar is always easy, even with small pistols. However, you will probably suffer injuries because of all of the corners. Enemies don't like walking through fire, so molotovs are great if you don't light yourself on fire.

I'm going to end here, because I need to think about with whom to fill up our new Barracks.  And maybe solicite some advice.  At the very least, I expect everyone to have named characters.

Pretty good partial turn. I like to follow very small and small ships before getting interceptors. If you time it right and they don't suddenly speed up or change direction, you can reach them just before they leave your radar area and keep up with them, but you may need a braver/faster pilot (or slower to conserve fuel). Grey ships will almost always land before you're out of fuel, white and blue rarely, and I've seen 1 or 2 green ships land - both harvesters.

Regarding recruiting slave soldiers, it seems that we have the tech, but when I go to the Manufacturing window, the option doesn't appear.  I set one of the G.O.'s to be enslaved, just in case its a lack of slaves.
EDIT: Nevermind, apparently it was Hidden, a feature I know nothing about.  So I stopped enslaving the G.O. (for now), and started recruiting a slave soldier.

I don't know what slaves are good for, other than "taking up" -1 space. That's not much. I've never run with slave soldiers. I bet Nar'Lokks would be good if you could find a way to train bravery and reaction. Bravery mostly takes time and a mission where you can safely holster pistols and stand around for a few rounds (4 rounds below 50 morale, more for very brave gals? Watchtowers are great for that). I read that you can train reactions with very fast (<10 TU) melee attacks. Stun batons are good for that.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 06, 2019, 09:29:54 am »

Slaves have negative upkeep, IE generate cash.  It's not a lot, I think it takes a while to pay off their opportunity costs (runt time and lost ransom/bluechips) but they also have several advanced uses later in the game.

Turning them into soldiers is meh.  They're peasants with slightly different stats, and no "boredom" drain to morale.  Which is vital if you use slow camping strategies a lot, but otherwise... not that great.  Without male touch, they're a lot more expensive than peasants since they're made from slaves.  I think they get access to more powerful armors than peasants, and their voodoo potential is supposedly top-tier.

Anyway congrats on that mission!  I was worried it would be a bit much but I'm glad to be shown wrong (:
Infested Cellars are indeed easy, my captain just worries about them because I went in with basic peasants who couldn't hit the red side of a barn.  They're good reaction training, though like Iduno says, watch out for the corners.  The rats can attack a lot of times quite weakly, so armor makes the difference between invulnerability and an embarrassing death.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 06, 2019, 11:07:23 am »

In the infested cellars there are also a few cats that if they're still alive by the end of the mission can join your animal troops at home.
The big annoyance is when the cellar has a hidden big room in which there are rats that you need to kill to end the mission, fortunately big hammers/pickaxes can break walls and reach those rooms, if you didn't took one with your gals, there should be such a tool lying around the ground near your arrival area.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 29