Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 29

Author Topic: X-piratez succession game  (Read 73709 times)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-piratez succession game
« Reply #345 on: September 12, 2019, 02:17:08 am »

But the weirdgal transformation gives you some (5?) power. Haven't updated yet, probably at the end of the current month.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 17, 2019, 12:25:00 pm »

But the weirdgal transformation gives you some (5?) power. Haven't updated yet, probably at the end of the current month.

How's it coming? I'm unavailable Thursday, but I'll be able to take over Friday if I can get it going on my laptop (which is newer than 1994, so it should work).

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 17, 2019, 01:55:01 pm »

Oh, I meant the end of the current month in my game. :D

But I'll go on holiday for about a week on friday, so I won't be playing anyway, so go ahead.

EuchreJack is playing currently.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: September 18, 2019, 03:15:15 pm »

How's it coming? I'm unavailable Thursday, but I'll be able to take over Friday if I can get it going on my laptop (which is newer than 1994, so it should work).

You'll probably have a little more time than that.  I'll probably cram out the month over the course of Thursday to Saturday.  I was under the weather last weekend, so it threw my schedule off track.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 22, 2019, 09:09:46 pm »

I played a little bit, and I can't handle it.  One mission, Day 2, completed it, couple people died, might as well start with the previous save.  I'm out.

EDIT: Finished the mission just in case anyone insists on my day 2 save.  To be clear, the part of the game I just can't handle any more is the hunting for that last stupid creature in a maze-like level, when the gals are dying to heat exhaustion.  While I could devise tactics to counter the heat exhaustion, the hunting for that last straggler is an intrinsic part of the game.  I was on turn 28 and bug hunt mode didn't even activate.  I was literally just standing there waiting for it, then an enemy appeared and I could finally finish the mission.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 22, 2019, 09:34:42 pm »

Do this modification to have bug hunt triggering before you're bored completely of the game when playing the less fun maps  (it does not impact the save or anyone else settings, it's only your own convenience) :
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135455.msg7966234;topicseen#msg7966234

You'll have to redo that for each new version of xpiratez.
Personnally it improved my fun of the game a lot, no more boring never ending session of looking where the last stuck AI is without bug hunt ever activating for some reason.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 23, 2019, 01:36:40 pm »

I played a little bit, and I can't handle it.  One mission, Day 2, completed it, couple people died, might as well start with the previous save.  I'm out.

Ok, we should probably have a list of whose turn is when. At least I'm confused. According to the OP, Rince Wind (should be back from vacation now-ish) has a turn, then we start another round.

So I'll step up and run things until someone competent takes over. Who wants a turn? Also, do you have a particular personality for your in-character voice?

Also, how do I link to a particular post like MCreeper was doing? Or has everyone been keeping up without it?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 02:33:01 pm by Iduno »

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 23, 2019, 02:13:40 pm »

Probably i should update OP someday.
EDIT: Updated.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 06:07:23 am by MCreeper »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 24, 2019, 02:21:13 pm »

Probably i should update OP someday.
EDIT: Updated.

Cool, thanks. I'll get to posting more in a few hours. Luckily, I'm in enough pain that drinking to get in character is going to happen anyway (smug, over-confident, and over-planning aren't normally traits I possess, this game does change that a bit).

Edit: Although I do want to know more about your link-to-post VooDoo.

Edit2: We've got a mansion raid opportunity, and 1 more gal than we need to fill the blowfish/turtle/whatever pile of crap transport we've got (it's half the speed and slightly larger than the airbus we start with, and I think it might have worse windows). Also, we're on ironman, and I've never done the mansion before. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 07:38:28 pm by Iduno »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 24, 2019, 10:52:36 pm »

In which I learn the grey codex is superior to the green not only because the Shadowbat is better than all of the green ships, including the ventura, but also because I can spell Fortuna. And also that my whole "naming bases after region-appropriate woman pirates" thing works better if you can find one from more than 3 different continents. I propose naming the Antarctic base after a famous nun (penguin), and the arctic base Ms. Claus' Workshop (and making it our toyshop - somewhere between the Conqueror Project and Industrial plans here).

How long have I been sleeping? That's the last time I let the runts challenge me to a floor-cleaner drinking contest, even if they do let me go first. Luckily, I have some actual rum to ward off the effects of the solvents they cut it with.

Last I remember, we were finishing research on everything we need to start our hunter-killer fleet and build the Bone-venturer, and we were starting a pile of engines to prepare. Also, we were running out of apples, and agreed not to let that pyro Robsoie near...anything or anyone flammable again? Why are you looking at me like that? It feels like it's been a few days at least, how is our fleet. Have we at least built surgeries so we have enough gals to fill out missions? Have the weed plantation schedules at least been useful? How is it June? Have we at least finished the armored vaults? Uggggghhhhh, Fine. Just take me to the Buena...ship. Well then how did we assault the Antarctic base? Ok, for your honesty, you live, but you're riding on the outside of the ship next mission. Next space mission. We can't into...I hate you.

Half of our runts at main base aren't working, so I started making slaves from anyone who refuses to give up any new information from interrogation. Also, because we had maxed out all 3 of our prisons, and we haven't been bothering processing any of them (even the ones that are useless to the brainers). Then I started fixing Ching Shih base. We didn't have enough runts to use even one of the 3 extractors we're paying for each month there (or the living space for that many more), so now we have one, and are starting to build a mess so we can have a surgery. [OOC: I took screenshots, but print screen doesn't work like f12 does] Then I transferred over 100 apples, so our runts can earn their pay. Tueta base has the facilities to use runts for something other than booze that can remove paint, rust, floor wax, and 6 months' worth of memories.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, we're apparently doing research the slowest way possible (using up the actual items) instead of gun almanacs, pillow books, decrypted discs, interrogation, etc. I even found a Terror Ship documentation, which requires that a single brainer just feed it into the computer in our old lab. I fixed that. [OOC: It's weird to see how much research that I completed half a year into my campaign is left un-researched a year and a half into this one, and also which stuff I haven't gotten to is already researched here, even though I'm a few months ahead.] We're also trying to research how to make better ships, which will become useful once we understand school graduation, which requires actually completing research.

Our next base is going between North and South America, because the Antarctic apparently never got conquered because we never got around to building a real ship. We named her the Mary Read Docks, after one of our predecessors from the area. Plans are: 3 hangars, library-> surgery, a sickbay, a hyperwave decoder, and a pile of barracks around the hangars.

Haha! A scientific Experiments is going on just south of us, so we're going to go collect some more slaves/interrogation fodder. I'll load up training weapons on everyone who isn't yet a proper soldier (which includes everyone except), and give real weapons to people with reactions and bravery. We're going to need more stun batons, because everyone is hella uncoordinated. [Did everyone named/trained die?] Also, our Lokk'Naar though an axe is an appropriate weapon for a fast but weak little lady. That's...no.

We ran out of space, so I sold anything that was useless.

Most of our research is stuff like what a battleship looks like, how weapons we don't use anymore work (from gun almanacs, which at least help us with later research), or numbered entries. This seems interesting, though.

Half a dozen or so groups of bandits tried to plunder around Ching Shih Base, so we sent the scarab out for some shooting gallery time. It took an average of 2 shots from out laser to take each of them down.

We have the opportunity to raid a mansion, and take all of the treasure we can find quickly and carry while wearing bikinis (so, pretty much none). Pass for now. Megapol came to our nighborhood to hand out "driving while mutant" citations, and got shot down "somehow." Wolfmen make decent enough slaves.

More research, somewhat interesting.

We managed to shoot down a wasp aircar and a bogeymen swarm
one one charge of our charger laser (took about 20 shots out of 50). It's good we're accurate, because it's not a very good gun (we can probably take down small vehicles with it, unless they're shielded, but probably not medium). It is however, our only weapon against ships.

The wasp aircar should be full of pushovers, so it's another quick training session.

If only we could...

More manufacturing

We've made some progress over 2 missions

Bogyemen. Terrible, terrifying demons who are nearly as strong as Lokks, and are melee-only with fists or pitchforks. We're wearing chainmail and armed with training weapons (and fans, beer, and grenades in the belt), so...

One final research for the night

The stupid maid mansion raid is still available, if anyone has a very good idea of how to tackle it. I'm still leaning towards "nah."

Edit: Ok, can't say I'm not tempted.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 05:16:29 pm by Iduno »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 26, 2019, 08:42:07 am »

That went rather well ! I didn't noticed the gals had so little bravery, that's a bit odd considering how they have been healing each other so much and so often (at least in my turns as i had so much wounded gals in battle :D) as from what i remember reading healing trains  bravery.
There must be something that i am missing there.

14 bogeymen captured , that's impressive as they have so little health they can die from a slight punch.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 08:44:44 am by Robsoie »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: September 26, 2019, 09:14:09 am »

That went rather well ! I didn't noticed the gals had so little bravery, that's a bit odd considering how they have been healing each other so much and so often (at least in my turns as i had so much wounded gals in battle :D) as from what i remember reading healing trains  bravery.
There must be something that i am missing there.

14 bogeymen captured , that's impressive as they have so little health they can die from a slight punch.

From what I have seen (which doesn't mean it's true), you have to train bravery at least 4 times in one mission to get an improvement. Using 2 bandages (healing 4 times) is the easiest way, but having morale below 50 for 4 turns without panicking also works. That's how we got almost everyone to get an improvement, we waited for ~6 rounds (allowing some morale check failures) after morale dropped below 50. Seductress outfits also train bravery?

Captures are easy with stun batons. Can't kill except through overstun, ignores 25% armor, takes 7 TU/2 Energy per attack (very fast, and trains reaction - our actual goal here) and does 36 damage in the hands of a well-trained gal (45 for Lokk'Naars). They can't crack power armor, but not much short of plasma can. There are a handful of enemies you'd be noticeably better off trying to capture with a cattle prod (reticulan mechtoids come to mind), but not many. I'll research slaver canes soon, which are great for when high-end enemies are electric-resistant. I usually only use them on gals who have maxed-out reactions (who also hopefully have maxed-out bravery and strength). Mixed teams of gals with different weapons helps with varying threats, if you have weapons that can do anything to the enemies (mostly stun batons and laspistols, some slaver canes or laser rifles of some type, everyone has grenades and bandages).

I played again last night, but I can't find the images I uploaded. We should be building a Deliverator by the end of the month, and the new interceptor base should be operational by the end of next month. Next challenge: a base assault without having plasma or bugeyes/weird gals to deal with power armor. I guess I should hire/train some bugeyes? Not having any Lunatics anymore means we don't have anyone with reasonable VooDoo stats.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 26, 2019, 11:35:38 am »

Ah thanks for the precision about the bravery training, i didn't knew about the requirement of 4 healing so this could explain it then as while my Gals were healing each other regularly i doubt one of them went as far as doing 4 healings (i guess the perk of using chainmail meant they had only minor levels of wounds).

For the stunning, in one of my researches they learned stun grenades, but i never used any even in my own save. Are they usefull (a stun baton with a radius ?) or are they dangerous (as in they can still kill low health enemies) ?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 26, 2019, 01:11:30 pm »

Ah thanks for the precision about the bravery training, i didn't knew about the requirement of 4 healing so this could explain it then as while my Gals were healing each other regularly i doubt one of them went as far as doing 4 healings (i guess the perk of using chainmail meant they had only minor levels of wounds).

I don't know that 4 is a requirement; it's just what I have seen.

Also, healing increases your morale, so you're less likely to need morale checks (which train your bravery when they're successful). If you get a morale check (get below 50% morale) or two before you get wounded and need to heal, it should help. Although I'm not sure how the morale checks based on low morale work; I think I had bugeyes gain morale after 3 rounds when they passed a check at 10% morale (plus the one at 40% the previous turn). If you're real desperate early game, you can also hit your own gals with leather whips, which lowers morale. I've only done that like twice, though. It does injure your gals.

For the stunning, in one of my researches they learned stun grenades, but i never used any even in my own save. Are they usefull (a stun baton with a radius ?) or are they dangerous (as in they can still kill low health enemies) ?

I haven't tried them, and I can't find anything about them in the old wiki. You'd have to compare its damage with enemy resists in the bootypedia/the anal(yse) tab. Also, as mentioned below, I mostly use stun batons to get reactions and melee maxed out at the same time.

Edit - On to the game:

Mostly-Interesting Research [I don't post most of the numbered research, ship types, or weapons we get]:

Prepared for the future!

Jack announced a bounty on some bandits in a cave, so we load up.

Research again!

A Communication Tower showed up, and we're going to knock it back down.

We re-add the fast research items like we do every day, and you'll notice bogeymen are now researched.

A second Communication Tower. And a Warehouse Wars. We'll go to the Warehouse Wars if we have time, maybe. It's not really worthwhile, but it keeps the governments supporting us (points).

Underwater assets mission showed up, but during the intervening travel time, more research finished. Then the Mary Read Docks finished the Animal Den.

Finally, we arrived at the mission.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 02:16:28 pm by Iduno »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 27, 2019, 12:32:21 pm »

For the record, that starter Scientific Experiements wasn't the same as the one that broke me.  I spawned in some devilish abandoned jungle temples scenario.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 29