Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Jupiter Hell (from the makers of DoomRL) - In Early Access on Steam!  (Read 13636 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Jupiter Hell (from the makers of DoomRL) - Kickstarted (By Hell)
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2018, 11:39:26 pm »

Don't believe I backed this but I'm interested in the final product for sure.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Epyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Jupiter Hell (from the makers of DoomRL) - Alpha Release to backers!
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2019, 06:51:53 pm »

Jupiter Hell is launching in Early Access, August 1st (this Thursday)
Watch the EA Launch trailer below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY8hfy0GopQ

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: Jupiter Hell (from the makers of DoomRL) - In Early Access on Steam!
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2019, 09:18:08 pm »

Yep,  it made it to Steam Early Access. Here's their facebook thingy for announcements. I reckon I'll grab it. If the longevity of DoomRL is anything to go by, this one will end up as cents per hour of playtime and random killy fun, no matter the cost. 10% off for the next week as well  :)

https://m.facebook.com/ChaosForge/

And the web-end Steam page for it:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/811320/Jupiter_Hell/

And also on Good Old Games (though this is definitely new) :

https://www.gog.com/game/jupiter_hell

Can a full-price, high-production-value roguelike work in today's market?  With this sort of lineage, I reckon it can. No-one can doubt Kornel's or Chaosforge's commitment to making a top-quality product, with all the bells and whistles, but also with all the strategic and gameplay depth required to get you your money's worth. Even at that price, I'm sold. I haven't had a PC that hasn't had DoomRL on it for years, hell, I've even got an old version that I Magicdosbox on my phone (incidentally one of the only roguelikes that works well on a mobile device once you've got a key-overlay set up). So I reckon Jupiter Hell is going to end up like that. When I want fun, thinky, fast death and carnage, this'll be my go-to.

Even without the atmosphere of AliensRL, or the quirkiness of DiabloRL, or the IP-tasticness of DoomRL, this should be able to stand on its own,  head and shoulders above their previous works.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 09:53:13 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2019, 09:57:20 pm »

Despite playing a tad too much DoomRL (Baron Major General, I believe), I feel that I can't really support this one right now, in today's market, at this price.

Don't get me wrong-- it's a little rough in places, as expected from EA, but shows a great deal of promise... I suppose it'd feel a bit like playing an early version of DoomRL. One of the devs (escapes me which one) seemed to take offense at a reviewer calling it a pale imitation of DoomRL... but, ultimately, that's what it comes across as right now to me as well.

The lack of diagonal movement really bugs me too, but that's an intentional thing. (And, by extension, defaulting to arrow keys, as opposed to numpad, though that's easy enough to rebind.)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 10:03:44 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2021, 03:46:08 am »

Oh hey, it's been almost exactly two years since the last post about this... my own.

Scored a first victory on JH (Easy), a far cry from my Major Baron of Hell days in DoomRL...  :'(

Spoiler: "Thoughts." (click to show/hide)
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2021, 03:37:29 am »

Oh hey, it's been almost exactly two years since the last post about this... my own.

Scored a first victory on JH (Easy), a far cry from my Major Baron of Hell days in DoomRL...  :'(

What's the game like in comparison to DoomRL now? It always felt like "Doom: The Roguelike but suckier" to me, which turned me off of buying it.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2021, 10:06:08 am »

Huh, I really out to give this a go and see how I like it. I've had it for months now and just haven't gotten around to trying it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2021, 03:11:28 pm »

What's the game like in comparison to DoomRL now? It always felt like "Doom: The Roguelike but suckier" to me, which turned me off of buying it.

So I'm still kicking around on Easy/Medium, but it's a bit of both.

Map layouts are more diverse. The 'extra' floors are a bit better done-- less RNG about what you'll encounter (each section, you get to pick one of four of the six possible options) and they don't have guaranteed drops like DoomRL, but guaranteed classes of items and floor layouts. For example, one of the first set is packed with droids... if you're running a hacker build, you can waltz right through that place without a scratch.  (Edit: On top of that, if you read the messages on the computers, they tell you what rooms have extra storerooms, item vaults, modkits, etc. so you have an idea of where to go for certain items too.)

Getting good weapons is less important-- basic weapons appropriate to the region you're in drop all the time and mods are flexible enough to get you what you want, more or less. Good exotics or uniques can carry you through to the end, if you can use them properly.

The lack of diagonals is hit or miss... but since I'm mostly playing on a small laptop, it's actually easier for me.

The classes feel distinct enough, though I sort of wish you could sever their actives from their trait options.

Dancing to avoid hits is as important as ever.

Oh, and freakin' Angel of Carnage... there's not enough missiles in any armory for that.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 05:05:53 pm by Aoi »

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2021, 10:42:24 am »

I picked up the game, and honestly, the most disappointing aspect for me is the visual feedback. Firing guns at stuff doesn't feel nearly visceral enough, and I played DoomRL back in the day, which somehow felt punchier than Jupiter Hell feels now.

I started up a suggestion thread about it on the Steam forums, though, and got a dev response really quick saying that better visual feedback was something they were planning to do some serious work on. The core game loop is pretty engaging already, so I'm hoping if I keep an eye on it long enough, the game will one day be polished enough to satisfy even my excessively picky sensibilities.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2021, 03:41:54 pm »

I haven't played DoomRL at all, but kickstarted this awhile back. I tried playing it back in Early Access and bounced off it, but am enjoying it more now.

Although I haven't managed to get past Io yet (playing on Medium).
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2021, 10:04:48 pm »

Play doomRL then. It's very satisfying (for some reason I find ASCII mode to be more satisfying in a graphical context than graphics mode. Usually I don't with roguelikes, but blood splatter ASCII is amazing (plus you can see the entire map))

Good to hear that Kornel's gotten Jupiter Hell to the point where it's adding punch to the sound and graphics, rather than "needs more content" or "this barely works". I'll have to grab a copy for my new PC in that case (price isn't really a concern, considering I spend as much on knockoff drinks after work a couple of times a week just so I don't feel bored, as this game will cost and will give me hours of fun and non-boredom. Chaosforge always supports it's major products pretty well, so it's a good investment for those dollars)
It's a game. Have fun.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2021, 11:24:56 pm »

Jupiter Hell's biggest problem seems to be that DoomRL left a comically large pair of clown shoes for it to fill. There's just nothing quite like DoomRL.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2021, 12:15:25 pm »

Jupiter Hell got a Zero Punctuation review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3-WRN-Bb-A

I suppose for a Yahtzee review, it wasn't....bad? But it didn't get any real seal of approval. Still, exposure is exposure, so congrats.

Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2021, 03:56:22 pm »

Still, exposure is exposure, so congrats.

I feel the same way, but you just try explaining that to the judge.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2021, 05:27:59 pm »

As any good author will tell you, the trick is to show, not tell.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]